Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT FOODS GETS STUCK or give you problems?

Hello,

I am new to the site and am starting my tests for the surgery this week. But I am getting nervous... where does the food get STUCK?

Can someone please explain to me what that means?

Thank you

Kim:omg:

The following foods do it for me! I am sure there will be more! ;)

• Cucumbers
  • Chicken - dry
  • Doughy bread/Doughnuts
  • Cold noodles
  • Green Onions

chicken..CHICKEN..CHICKEN..LOL in any shape or size will just about do it for me. Yes even chicken wings. The only way I can really do it if it's shredded in a Soup.

Steak is also very hard.

eggs any way are also next to impossible. Can eat them in the evenings sometimes.

Also for peeps wondering about the "stuckage". Let me tell you it's no fun. I have been stuck sometimes all night. In a panic. I have learned some tricks though. First of all. When you figure out your really are stuck. Do not eat or drink anything for at least 4 hours. You really have to let things settle down inside you. If you keep on pb'ing all your doing is having everything swell up even more. Although u can still get sick from all the slime that is accumulating but still..better than trying to drink. The thing is sometimes you can get something unstuck by drinking. So it's easy to fall into that trap of thinking your gonna get it unstuck by drinking. Anyways about 4 hours after..or if I do feel that "food went down" feeling then I will try some warm tea. See what happens. If you still get sick again..don't drink once again. It's scary I know because you feel like your going to dehydrate. Thankfully I've always been able to get things unstuck. Eventually the food disolves and it's okay. It is really scary though and it will reinforce you to follow the bandster rules.

this is my first week and i took my blood pressure med w/ breaking it it's not a big pill at all but i still feel it in my chest and its hours later what do i do???????????????

The pill that is "stuck", may actually be stuck, or it dissolving may have caused some serious irritation. I would try a sip or 2 of warm liquids, see if that helps it. If it stays down, then wait another 30-45 minutes, and try a couple more sips. At that point if things stay down, I'd try some yogurt, or SF pudding...to maybe help coat things a bit. If you bring up the fluids, or are still hurting, it might be time to call the Dr. for advice.

Most times when I eat something that I get stuck it is not the food that was offending, it was me and how I ate it. Think big bite, chew chew swallow. NOT a good bandster!!! When I do that a few sips of pineapple juice usually help it break down and pass on through.

Getting stuck, is when you have too much food, or too big of a bite, or the food has worked its way into a form that will not pass through the stoma---the part of the stomach where the band is placed...the tightest area.

My list of cannot eat foods is short---the only thing I won't try again is a yeast donut....I took one bite, it grew to be the size of a dozen donuts it felt like!!! I PB'd that one! Have no desire to repeat that!

I have foods I need to be careful with. Watermelon, I have to take itsy bitsy tiny bites, and can only eat a little bit. I think it is too much like eating and drinking together!

If I eat Pasta, I have to eat something with it. I cannot sit down for instance and eat more than 2-3 bites of a bowl of fettucine. But if I add some grilled chicken and veggies, I can eat 3 times that. I think it is because as Tracy said early on, the glutens break down and get Gummy, and then swell up...the other foods give it something to work with as it digests. So yes I eat Pasta and rice, just carefully. Actually eating these foods keeps me in line and eating properly!

I have no problem with meat, when it is freshly cooked, reheated it is usually just not moist enough.

Most snack foods are fine, popcorn included.

Bread, I can eat, but choose not to eat a lot of it. I have to do it like my pasta, with other things. I cannot (I guess, never really tried it!!!) eat a plain slice of bread, but can eat a sandwich. I can in no way eat a whole sandwich though, so choose to add most of my meat and cheese, and fold over, and still manage about half of it.

Now please don't any of you take this the wrong way---it is meant as encouragement for you too. If you scroll back through the last few pages as an example, and scan through the posters, many of them are newly banded. Not all, but many. I had times through the 2 fills I have had, where I was tighter, and had more issues with food. I have found what I believe to be my sweet spot now, and have restriction, but am able to eat most anything in moderation, and do just that. I would imagine, as each of you get further along in the banding experience, you can and cannot eat lists will change a bit. As has been mentioned sometimes it changes from morning to night!!

Hang in there, and you will find out what YOUR band likes and doesn't like---today---and will work on tomorrow, tomorrow!

Kat

I am so glad chicken doesn't give me trouble. I practically live on chicken.< /p>

For those that don't understand how food gets stuck-The band is placed at the very top of the stomach. When you start eating, if the band gets plugged up, the food gets stuck in your esophagus. Picture an upside down funnel. You swallow the food, and it has to pass through that narrow part where the funnel turns into a ball. If it doesn't it's stuck in the neck of the funnel. And it hurts! That's why it's important to chew until it's liquid.

I try to make a game of it. How much more could I possibly chew this until there is nothing left to chew. Doing this, I can eat mostly everything. If I forget, or think I have chewed enough and I haven't, it's a lot of pain.

Thank you for a very informative post. I am glad to learn that the food tolerance of the band changes over time and that everyone is different. I too will live and learn when I am banded.

new2tch

No fills yet, still about a month post op. But I can't seem to digest bread too well still! Everything else is fine. ;) Actually bread alone is sometimes okay, but sandwiches don't feel too good going down. pizza hasn't worked for me. Everything is good otherwise though!

My tolerance for different foods has definately changed over time. When I was first banded, I could not eat red meat or bread under any circumstances. I can manage them now but it has to be tiny amounts of thoroughly chewed bread and super tender cuts of steak. I know as soon as I bite in to it whether it will be ok or not.

Scrambled eggs, watermelon and potato chips are almost impossible for me to eat. Oranges are hit and miss but usually miss.

Some days I can tolerate a food and the next day, no way. I take this as a sign that it probably irritated my band the day before so try to steer a bit clear of it for a few days. Also for me, much easier to eat later in the day and less risk of blockage.

So... it's now totally random! Before my 2ed fill everything was ok, now everything and nothing gets me in trouble! it changes from day to day, minute to minute! usually it is the first bite, often chicken, always VERY well chewed, once I'm over the first choking lump in the throat, that maybe a sip of plain Water will clear, after a few minutes it will all be ok and I can finish eating. it's almost like an allergic reaction as I don't think there is actually anything there. it's VERY weird! it never gets as far as the stomach before the reaction occures, got the sliming, pbing, had foaming only once, thank GOD! that was on one bite too!!!

I have a question for all of you. What is the deal with popcorn? ??

I have absolutely no problem with popcorn and when nothing else is going down, that is fine. Yet the Drs. all have it on the "NO! NO! NO! or else!" list. Is it because of the calories and they just don't want us to eat it...Like Icecream, or do they think well eat an unpopped kernal and get stuck?

sorry for all the questions, new to this forum Very glad to have found you!

crunchy things are all good, eggs I put in the chopper and add a little lite mayo for a spread , great on soy crisp crackers.