Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scar Tissue Constriction?

Hi guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading, I'm a few weeks away from my sleeve and I came across this article:

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1482-6-bizarre-things-nobody-tells-you-about-weight-loss-surgery.html

The general tone of the article is very, very negative, but I wonder if there's any truth to this section:

"Many of these complications can arise years after the surgery, so you're sort of like a ticking time bomb of fluids and pain. I have to take a giant handful of Vitamins every day so that I don't literally waste away. I was warned that I could be minding my own business weeks or months or years later when the tiny tube that was now my stomach would stop handling anything but liquid. That's because as it heals, it can develop scar tissue to the point that it constricts without warning. You end up with a dent in your stomach that narrows it down to the girth of a nail. Swallowing anything that isn't liquid then feels like swallowing a nail."

Does anyone know what she's talking about and is this a common issue that arises later on? VSG is very new so is something like this on the horizon for us? Very anxious and looking for any answers and advice you guys might have.

Thanks...

Edited by carrie3101

VSG as a stand alone weight loss tool is new, the procedure has been in use for decades for stomach cancer patients and for a long time as a first stage weight loss surgery until the patients weight was low enough to do the second stage.

Wow poor thing my experience has been nothing like hers. And no actually that narrowing thing is not a potential complication I have heard of though most of the ones she mentions I have heard of at least.

I think she is trying to be funny -- and I don't think she is doing a very good job of it!! It's satire and sarcasm. If you are concerned about the potential for scar tissue, as your surgeon -- don't get it from a not-so-funny blog entry. :)

Thanks so much for your answers guys.

Having a sleeve being described as a "ticking time bomb of Fluid and pain" is slightly terrifying.