Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week diet before surgery

Hello i was wondering if anyone here who had done the gastric sleeve surgery already didnt do a 2 week diet befor the surgery or any diet what so ever? I was told i need to do a liver reduction diet but i havent done it and i am only 3 days away from the surgery. Has anyone had the surgery done without dieting? Please any comment will be helpful

I only had to do one week, but I have not heard of anyone that didn't have to do any kind of diet at all. If you were told you needed to do a two week diet and haven't, you have greatly increased your risks during surgery. The preop diet also serves as a bowel prep to avoid doing Miralax or go lightly. And the most important thing is that it reduces the size of your liver allowing your surgeon to operate more safely.

If you were told you need to do one, and haven't, you should let your surgeon know. Maybe you can reschedule for a few weeks from now, and prepare for this surgery.

You run the risk of your surgery becoming an open procedure, rather than laparoscopic. Your doctor has to retract your liver and if he feels based on your bmi you'll have a very rigid, fatty liver to protect to he may open you up. Or postpone all together but that's ONCE YOURE OPEN. Call your doctor before surgery. If this was a will issue maybe now wasn't the right time for you to start this journey. It's a serious commitment.

Edited by erose321

I'm wondering why you didn't do the pre surgery diet? Some of us were not required to by our program, but had other requirements ( my pre surgery diet was just the day before, BUT I'd had to lose 16 lbs before they would even schedule my surgery). There are very strict dietary rules you will have to follow after surgery: some for weeks, some for the rest of your life. If that's not a commitment you are able or ready or willing to make, this may not be the right time for surgery. Please talk to your surgeon.

12 day. To get you use to the liquid diet.

I'm wondering why you didn't do the pre surgery diet? Some of us were not required to by our program, but had other requirements ( my pre surgery diet was just the day before, BUT I'd had to lose 16 lbs before they would even schedule my surgery). There are very strict dietary rules you will have to follow after surgery: some for weeks, some for the rest of your life. If that's not a commitment you are able or ready or willing to make, this may not be the right time for surgery. Please talk to your surgeon.

I try but it was so hard i was always hungry... I did ate healthier and drinking lots of water... Also i have lost 13lbs since it was required to loose 10lbs or more by my insurance... I feel im ready i just cant control my hunger. I am also working out everyday... I just didnt do the shakes substitutions

Edited by dalysm86

You run the risk of your surgery becoming an open procedure, rather than laparoscopic. Your doctor has to retract your liver and if he feels based on your bmi you'll have a very rigid, fatty liver to protect to he may open you up. Or postpone all together but that's ONCE YOURE OPEN. Call your doctor before surgery. If this was a will issue maybe now wasn't the right time for you to start this journey. It's a serious commitment.

I will let my doctor and nutrionist know today... Is not a will issue it just hunger.. I get hungry so fast... try but it was so hard i was always hungry... I did ate healthier and drinking lots of water... Also i have lost 13lbs since it was required to loose 10lbs or more by my insurance... I feel im ready i just cant control my hunger. I am also working out everyday... I just didnt do the shakes substitutions

Edited by dalysm86

I have an elliptical I just started working out with and walk every day many blocK's now since I made this decision. Idk why I don't have to do the diet more than 12 days. Ready and willing. Forever! Gained my weight because of having 5, back surgeries. I have 65# to lose. Ready for a lifetime change!