Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amusement Parks and your new tummy

Hello,

I should be having my surgery within the next month! Yeah! My boyfriend and I have been talking about vacations and we would love to take the kids to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg this summer. We both LOVE Roller Coasters. My question is...how soon after surgery did any of you hit the Coasters? How did your new baby tummy respond? Did that crazy feeling you get in your gut change in any way? I don't want to make any reservations until I'm sure it won't be a horrible experience!

Thanks,

Cindy

I didn't go on a roller coaster until 7 months post-op, so I don't have much advice for you if you are only going to be a couple of months out other than to talk to your surgeon and make sure it's okay. As for my experience 7 months post-op, I didn't feel any more sick or dizzy from the coasters than I had in the past. The main difference was I was able to actually fit in the seats!

That is what I am most looking forward to too! Last time I was on a roller coaster the poor attendant had to put all his weight down on the bar to get it to lock in place. It was a miserable 60 second ride as I was squished in that seat!!

For sure ask your surgeon if it appropriate for you to endure the ride. In my younger days, my ex and our girls were roller coaster freaks and took several vacations to Cedar Point in Ohio. One trick we learned abou avoiding nausea on the coasters was to not ride on the spinny rides at all, and don't eat like a maniac. Your sleeve will only be able to hold about as much food as a small banana, so be diligent with the Snacks that day. If you do go, HAVE FUN

For sure ask your surgeon if it appropriate for you to endure the ride. In my younger days, my ex and our girls were roller coaster freaks and took several vacations to Cedar Point in Ohio. One trick we learned abou avoiding nausea on the coasters was to not ride on the spinny rides at all, and don't eat like a maniac. Your sleeve will only be able to hold about as much food as a small banana, so be diligent with the Snacks that day. If you do go, HAVE FUN

Yeah, food will be tricky, depending on how far out you are. When I was at Dollywood in the beginning of April, I was lucky enough to find a little stand that sold turkey sticks (like a beef stick, but made with turkey) and those were perfect. There were also some stands around that sold peanuts. For actual meals I found a place that sold chicken fajitas and I just ate all of the chicken and some of the veggies out of one and threw the tortilla away. But if you are only a month or two post op, you might be much more restricted in the types of food you're allowed.

I am 8weeks out tomorrow and we have gone to amusement parks two weekends in a row now. Not a bit of trouble! Take it easy and listen to your body.

I understand I my last couple times on a roller coaster has been embarassing. I was sleeved in October. In March went to amusement parks, was far from embarassing. When I pulled the bar down, there was left over room, so exciting.

I understand I my last couple times on a roller coaster has been embarassing. I was sleeved in October. In March went to amusement parks, was far from embarassing. When I pulled the bar down, there was left over room, so exciting.

I am a little over 9 weeks out (sleeved on 3/20/15) and went to the fair today. First time in 10 years I was able to fit into all the rides (and not get asked to leave due to the seat belt not being able to lock properly) and I had a blast! No stomach issues, found some Protein (turkey on a stick) and made sure to keep a bottle of Water at my side. Good Luck!