Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon were you able to drink a cup of regular coffee with milk? My doctor suggested quitting caffeine prior to the surgery (which I did). My surgery is on Monday and I've only had decaffeinated coffee for a week now. I really miss it!

Thanks!

3 weeks post op I could tolerate coffe very wellmbut had to work up to it a few sips at a time

My dietician recommends no more than 1 or 2 a WEEK. Apparently caffeine can really make you hungry, and none of us needs that!!! When I do have coffee, I try for Decaf. Now that my carb intake is so low, I don't find myself as sleepy, so I don't NEED the caffeine. Good luck with the craving!

Also, I had to wait 8 weeks to have it.

how soon were you able to drink a cup of regular coffee with milk?

@@debbie813

need to get clarification from NUT/surgeon

did he mean to not to drink coffee forever??

(i have heard that)

talk to your NUT again - find out when/if you can drink coffee at a later point

you will hear in the future that most NUTS/surgeons have different rules

at the end of the day, listen to your doc ONLY (and me too!! ;) )

you are on your way to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

who deserves it more ;)

good luck on monday :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Touch base with your NUT for guidelines on post-op eating/drinking plan, if you don't already have the plan, because they differ group to group.

I didn't start drinking coffee on a regular basis until about 2.5-3 months out. My norm is a blend of half caf/half Decaf with cream, sweetener and flavored Syrup - what I call my sissy coffee. Initially I could only drink about 1/4 cup over a hour; now it's about a cup in the same timeframe, and rarely no more than that in a day's time.

If you've read enough posts on BP you'll hear several sleevers say that their tastes changed post-surgery so know that that is a possibility. My tastes didn't change much, but it did take me awhile to get back to drinking plain Water, coffee, and tea. I'm willing to drink those calories & carbs and they do get logged. :)

Good luck on your journey!!! It's for a lifetime.

I started coffee about one month post op. Always with milk and only Decaf. I haven't touched caffeine since dec ( pre op.) it's never bothered me but I only have one cup a day, and some days none.

I started drinking coffee again after about a month. I have about 4-6 oz, with milk, and if I don't take my omeprezole at least 30 min before I drink it, I will get heartburn.

My surgeon and NUT say no caffeine, ever - period. So I went cold turkey about 5 weeks before surgery, and now only drink Decaf coffee or tea (among other things, but still no caffeine). My husband never thought I'd be able to do it, but amazingly I don't miss it at all, and I don't know how I quit caffeine without any withdrawal symptoms.

I have a small (1/2 cup usually) of coffee daily. I mixed it with cashew milk. Surgeon approved of it. I started that about 1.5 months out.

3 weeks post-op. I love,love ,love my coffee and like to use high quality Beans. I started with half strength peaberry Beans and was able to drink a few glorious ounces . Doesn't seem to bother me as far as making me hungry, upset tummy.. etc.. I'm on week 6 now, drinking full strength peaberry ( low-acid) and my favorite Kona beans ( not that crummy 10 % blend ,but the real 100 % deal from back home in Hawaii) No problems and the doc says it's fine. His only concern was dehydration since it's a diuretic, but I also drink a couple of liters of Water a day so it's a non-issue.
Here's the place I get my supply from if anyone else is interested.
http://www.koacoffee.com/

A couple months out for me. I'm now 6 mos out and have one cup per day, but it takes all morning to drink. I keep reheating it in the microwave. Totally worth it.

I waited 3 months. I started out with Decaf, switched to regular at about 6 months. I use cream so I always log it.