Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2015 SIPS patients

Hi everyone! Just signed up to the website. I'm scheduled for my SIPS surgery on May 26th with Dr Cottam in Salt Lake City. I'm really having a hard time with my liquid diet but I'm thinking I need to try mixing it with something other than soy milk. Maybe rice milk or almond milk would taste better. It's hard to stop thinking about food right now but I'm sure once the stomach thinks some it might get easier.

Like I said I really didn't need three weeks off, but I had the time. I actually spent a good portion of the last week catching up with my sister who just moved back to town the day of my surgery. We did lots of walking together. Two weeks was fine but you will have some tiredness.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I'll see my surgeon Friday and plan on discussing other/the best option for me. I'll keep you posted. I don't know if I can miss three weeks of work. Thanks again.

When did you start your pre-op and for how long? Mine was two weeks and I was allowed a no carb, low fat, lean meat and veg/day. Definitely mix up your flavors so your tastebuds don't get bored. I settled into the routine after day 3 and then it wasn't so bad. I think your body starts accepting the change. Keep reminding yourself the purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the size of your liver, making your surgery easier on the surgeon. It isn't really about weight loss at this point. It helps with reframing your focus on your why.

You're doing great, just remember when changing up milks to watch the amount of carbs and double check with you Doc or NUT. Every doctor is very different so you will receive many different answers on here.

Hi everyone! Just signed up to the website. I'm scheduled for my SIPS surgery on May 26th with Dr Cottam in Salt Lake City. I'm really having a hard time with my liquid diet but I'm thinking I need to try mixing it with something other than soy milk. Maybe rice milk or almond milk would taste better. It's hard to stop thinking about food right now but I'm sure once the stomach thinks some it might get easier.

Good Morning. Today is DAY 3 of my pre-op diet. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed anything but liquids. I make my shake this morning with some powdered milk I had in the pantry other than the soy milk I was using. It tastes better already but these shakes are nasty. I had to have a boca burger patty and a scrambled egg last night because I was so hungry. They told me I could use different milks as long as they were low carb/sugar so I'll be going to the market and stalking up on supplies today. I know I don't have to do this for long but each shake just makes me cringe. :unsure: My sugar free Jello is hard to take also. I've never been able to eat or drink anything with the artificial sweeteners in it. They taste so chemical like. I'm not a sweets eater at all. Never have been so these artificial tastes take some getting used to also. Thank god for broths.

Have you tried premier protien shakes? I drank the chocolate during my pre-op and it wasn't bad...very cold! They have 30 grams of Protein to boot. Drink, drink, drink too...add lemon or lime to your Water or a SF flavoring if you like. I picked up an individual infuser cup at bed bath and beyond and get creating making infused waters with fruits and herbs. Just don't eat the fruit. ;)

Remember your body will adjust, but you will have head hunger especially with old habits like snacking while watching tv, or sitting down. For those times get up and walk or stretch or my favorite...brush your teeth. I never like eating after brushing!

Head hunger! YES! I've been forgetting to drink tons of Water too. Maybe that's why I have a headache. I'm a big water drinker anyway but have been so focused on my hunger that I've forgotten the most important thing these past few days. Seriously. No wonder I have a headache. I'll try making some infused water. Great idea. I pinned some of those infused water ideas and forgot about them. Why is it so many people are freaked out about SIMS surgery? Dr Cottam, my doc, is one of the top in the field for the SIMS surgery. He doesn't even do the regular DS surgery anymore. He has found much less complications with malabsorption, and diarrhea with SIMS. Just odd to see so many people who feel so negatively about it. He asked me to partake in his research study for SIIMS so hopefully I'll be able to help squash some of the fears with a great outcome. :)

Hahhaa! I keep calling it SIMS surgery. I mean SIPS! I'm losing my mind! btw... I've never even played a computer game in my life so that's really funny to me. I just had to look up what SIMS was.

Edited by meems53

Oh my, yes drink your Water. The first sign of dehydration (besides thrist of course) is headache.

Why the angst? I can't say for sure, but I do know there are many people that are very "protective" of their surgery. Because the SADI/SIPS is a newer procedure it doesn't have a long history of results to look back on. Most of the negative comments come from people asking why choose something that hasn't been proven over a standard. My thought is stomach stapling was standard (not sure any doc performs that anymore), LapBand was popular but years later many people are requiring revisions (my doc doesn't perform lapband any longer). RNY had and in some circles is still considered the "gold standard" but is quickly being replaced by the sleeve. The full DS requires more time under anestesia and recovery can be harder. Often (not always) dumping, gas and bowel issues were known side effects.

I look at it this way, ALL WLS procedures as well as ALL medical procedures were once new. They are constantly improving and learning what works best for various individuals. Imagine the first person that received a pace maker or organ transplant, chemo, radiation, etc...

I feel I'm doing what is best for me based on my own research and discussions with them doctors. I would never judge or belittle another person on their decision. You make the choice that is right for you. We are a community that is here to support one another through advice and occassional butt kickings. Akin, to the saying if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. On here, if you aren't offering support (and in many cases just copying and pasting comments directly from another user on a different board) then don't comment. Of course I might be a little old fashioned in that sense. :D

Oh and used to play the SIMS many, many moons ago. :P

Head hunger! YES! I've been forgetting to drink tons of Water too. Maybe that's why I have a headache. I'm a big water drinker anyway but have been so focused on my hunger that I've forgotten the most important thing these past few days. Seriously. No wonder I have a headache. I'll try making some infused water. Great idea. I pinned some of those infused water ideas and forgot about them. Why is it so many people are freaked out about SIMS surgery? Dr Cottam, my doc, is one of the top in the field for the SIMS surgery. He doesn't even do the regular DS surgery anymore. He has found much less complications with malabsorption, and diarrhea with SIMS. Just odd to see so many people who feel so negatively about it. He asked me to partake in his research study for SIIMS so hopefully I'll be able to help squash some of the fears with a great outcome. :)

I am a sleever... and I am following topics on this new procedure with no angst.... I think some are a little over sensitive - just because people ask questions or make statements doesn't mean they aren't adding to the discussion. I think it is productive to express doubts and concerns...

When I was sleeved in 2011 - i had some trepidation due to lack of long term success data. I was duped into believing that the lapband was a good solution (in 2001) and i paid a heavy price for that mistake for 10 years so I was gunshy about repeating that "error". However, I also think you need to research and make the best decision with the data you have at the time... and go for it.

For me, the revision to DS has always been my "backup plan" should this sleeve deal not work for me. It is great to hear that there is an updated version of the DS that is becoming widespread. I look forward to hearing ongoing success stories!

I agree wholeheartedly, however, on another support site there were two individuals that no matter what the person said they would respond harshly and negatively on every aspect of the procedure. One of the responses I had here was literally a cut and paste from the other site which contained false information. I don't mind contructive discussions or even if someone disagrees, but I draw the line on spreading fear from non-fact checked information.

One quick edit: You can call me out, and maybe it is a sensitivity thing, but I don't think on a WLS support site you should have to defend your surgery type decision, especially once you've already done it.

I think some are a little over sensitive - just because people ask questions or make statements doesn't mean they aren't adding to the discussion. I think it is productive to express doubts and concerns...

Edited by ShellMilliner

Hi, SHELL! I'm getting the shakes down better with low calorie (60 cal) Almond Milk. The chocolate Bariatric Fusion goes down better than the vanilla one did for some reason. I'm drinking tons of Water. I have always done that so that's already a habit of mine. I have been eating a little though also. I was getting headaches. I'll have a Boca Burger (original), or cottage cheese, or a cheese slice along with my broth. I ate a few pieces of dark chocolate last night. I had it in the pantry. One of those larger bars that you break off a square. Eating my sugar free Jello a few times a day. Having the worst time quitting smoking though. I have gum and Patches here and need to use them. I'm hoping to do better today on all fronts. I have zero willpower. Exactly why I want this surgery. I have someone coming to stay with me in a few days. She will be here 5 days before my surgery on the 26th and for a few weeks after. I'm sure she can help keep me focused on sticking to my pre-op better. And... YES... I'm dedicated. This is just very difficult. I'm going to gulp down another shake now. I have to take 3 gulps at a time... wait... then 3 more etc until it's gone. I can't taste it that way and at least the hunger goes away for awhile. :D

UPS just dropped off the new Protein Powder that I ordered. What a difference! I bought the Unjury strawberry and Vanilla. It actually tastes delicious! Not even kidding. The Bariatric fusion was making this pre-op diet so hard for me but that is what they supplied me with for the SIPS study I'm partaking in. This strawberry Unjury tastes fantastic. I'm sure the vanilla is excellent also. Exactly why I bought it after reading numerous reviews. It's very competitively priced as well. If you are having a hard time with the taste of Protein Shakes I highly recommend. This will make it so much easier for me to stick to this diet for the next 8 days.

@meems53 Yay! so glad you found something that works for you. I think that is half the battle. You're half way there, how exciting! You're doing great, keep it up.

Hi everyone! I'm new and have been silently lurking the site lol. I go for my results appt this week with Dr. Paul Enoch's in Cary, NC to schedule my procedure. I will also be having the SIPS procedure. I feel that it's the best choice for me b/c I consider it as the best of both worlds in that it's not only restrictive but has a malabsorption component also but not as invasive as other procedures. Anywhoo, I just wanted to introduce myself and I'd welcome any feedback from those who have already had the procedure. It's nice to meet everyone and I'm super excited about starting this new journey with you all!