Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery March 6th, and am ending the pureed phase this week. Anything I seem to eat lately tastes terrible, chicken salad, tuna salad - all the things I liked before now taste horrible! Anyone have any ideas?

Eat plain clean food. I can no longer eat tuna/chicken salad. I have noticed a lot of things I used to love are no longer appealing to me. Most of my meals even to this day (I am 6 mo out) are very clean not bland but clean. It will be trial and error till you find what you can tolerate. Good luck to you.

I used to like both chicken and tuna salad and now they taste gross to me too. I also used to have a huge sweet tooth and now I tend to crave salty Snacks more than sugary ones. I notice that my tastes did change after surgery, but for the most part it has been a good thing because now if I'm hungry, I don't eat the junk that I used to really like. Eventually you will find new things you really enjoy and not liking your old foods won't feel like a loss.

My taste buds changed after surgery. I think it was caused by having to stay away from processed foods for a month! :-P My taste buds were detoxed and I didn't like fast food or most processed foods anymore.

Now I enjoy the flavors of vegetables and fruits, AND dislike most hamburgers and fast foods from places like McDonalds. Home cooked burgers taste sooooo much better than ones from a restaurant.

I count it as an unexpected benefit from WLS.

I have also experienced the taste bud change. It sucks nothing tastes right including Water. I don't even like coffee any more. ???? I'm 8 weeks out today and I am getting better but I am attracted to salty foods to which I need to stay away from.

The change from wanting sweets to craving salty stuff seems to be pretty common (it happened to me, too). Unfortunately, I'm 7 months out, my taste buds are returning to normal - or at least my brain's addiction center thinks so. However, when I go in search of what my brain is telling me I want, I can stand in front of it and realize my tastebuds aren't actually interested. Now I wish my taste buds hated sweet - that would be a HUGE help. . .

I went for my 2 week follow up (in my third week) last week and I complained to my surgeon about the same thing. Before I could continue on, he explained to me why I may be thirstier more often, feel as if I have bad breath, feel like brushing my teeth all the time, and why food is either gross or extremely too sweet. He explained that it is ketosis. That my body was breaking down fat and ketones are acting in place of glucose. He told me that this was great because my body was breaking down fat!