Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Sleeving (losing weight) make the workouts easier, or at least less painful?

I have my first appointment today.

It's a mandatory 2.5 hour health class that my insurance provider uses as its first step.

I wanted to ask others here - I can't be the only one.

Will getting sleeved help make working out easier?

I'm almost 47. I was always big into working out. From my early teens through my time in the Air Force and until just after I finished my Masters (2006).

I can remember throwing around 375lbs on the bench press like it was a toy.... or running 10 - 15 miles with 100 lbs of gear like it was nothing.

Then I lost my way.

It got harder and harder to keep the weight off, and harder and harder to work out.

I'm praying that this surgery will help me get out of this cycle of personal destruction....

It's not just me now. I've got two beautiful little girls and a wonderful wife that need their daddy/partner around...

BTW: love this forum... Nice to see so many people going through the same stuff I am...

Best regards,

R

The weight loss will definitely help make workouts easier. When I was at my heaviest, I could still do my workouts, but not nearly as well as I do them now. I can do a whole minute of jumping jacks without my fat slapping me around, without my knees hurting, and without feeling like I'm going to die (unless I'm doing HIIT, which is kind of the point! lol). Your endurance and capabilities will expand dramatically after the sleeve starts working. :)

Amen Brother, I'm in the same boot. I just want to be able to do my time every day and not be the low spot of the day. I'm sure my knees won't hurt as bad, but i'm wanting something better than it is now.

Good luck!

Tom

For any sort of impact or plyometric exercise, the decreased weight makes a HUGE difference. Running now is SO MUCH easier on my knees than it was when I was 240+ pounds!

Losing weight will absolutely make working out easier. Even though I still ran and did all of my boxing and jiu jitsu classes at 237 pounds, I was not very fast, not very strong, and it was exhausting. My feet and legs would swell after a run and sometimes it was painful to walk on my swollen feet for hours or days afterward. At roughly 108 pounds less, I am SO much more comfortable working out and as a result I am back to enjoying workouts as opposed to dreading them.

I'm 47 too, and HATED exercise pre surgery. I am now running 2 miles a day and weight training. Yeah, I get sore once in a while with the usual 47 year old aches and pains, but it's a GOOD sore. Like I actually accomplished something I never thought I would sore. ;)

The pain won't go away overnight but it will decrease quickly. The more weight you lose the easier it will be and I know it is hard to believe but you will have so much more energy. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey. Your wife and little girls are going to be so proud of you for taking on this challenge and living a healthier life style so they can love you and enjoy you for many years to come.

I work out at least 3-4 days a week and work on the elliptical going 21/2 miles at a 7:15 min pace. Plus lifting weights. I feel as though I am in better shape now than when I was in the Army infantry! I am building my strength back up, I also used to bench over 400 lbs but at 38 I don't need to go that hard anymore but still like to lift heavy! Every work out seems to get less and less painful (except leg days, leg days always suck and am sore for a couple days after).

@@KingMoose - I worked as an Air Force Cop, know exactly what you mean.

I can remember being part of my local gym's 1300 Club. (405 lbs bench press, 600 lbs deadlift, and 375 lbs squat), and being able to run 8-10 miles with a 100 lbs of equipment on my back...

While I don't need to be able to do this anymore, I want to be able to pull up my own(lighter) weight, and at least have a 4-pack...

I'd like to run some local 5ks our town has every year. And I want to be able to go shirtless without having to fill out an environmental impact study first! LOL!

Absolutely! I have psoriatic arthritis and at 310lbs I was lucky if I could get up a single flight of stairs or walk for 15 min.

I am down 96lbs and have been working out a minimum of five days per week for an hour at a time. This is my cardio workout specifically.

I can run up and down the stairs, outpace any of my family on a five mile walk and I feel fantastic!

Losing the weight has made all of this possible. I am 51 by the way.

It did for me! I was not an exerciser pre op and waited probably 3 or 4 months post op before I really applied myself to physical activity. I have hip displasia so anything ON my feet can cause problems so I bought a stationary bike. I quickly worked up to using it 5 days per week, getting up an hour early to make time, (that's 4:30 AM folks)! It's a habit now. If it is a work day, it is a workout day! Eventually, I added some core and push ups to the routine. All of it at home. Some days I go harder than others, but always for at least 50 minutes. Being physically and fit active makes EVERYTHING easier!

Absolutely! I have psoriatic arthritis and at 310lbs I was lucky if I could get up a single flight of stairs or walk for 15 min.

I am down 96lbs and have been working out a minimum of five days per week for an hour at a time. This is my cardio workout specifically.

I can run up and down the stairs, outpace any of my family on a five mile walk and I feel fantastic!

Losing the weight has made all of this possible. I am 51 by the way.

My surgery is in 3 weeks. I have developed a knee injury and am hoping it is better by my surgery date. As I read these posts and count my ailments, knee, planters faschietis, diabetes, high blood pressure, Gerd, high cholesterol I am sure hoping I will feel motivated to exercise.

I am 50 years old and I know 70 year olds who are more physically active than me.

Thanks for all positive posts. You are inspirational.

Yes, I've always been active, but not able to go as hard as I want to.. but after sleeve, and losing 50 pounds.. I can do it.