Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill and Refill

So i had shared that I had relocated and one Dr only wanted to fill under FLOURO. Because I am in Healthcare.... I am a bit skeptical at the unneeded extra radiation. Blah Blah Blah. So... I did some homework and found another DR. *** I havent had a fill in 1 year and had gained 15 lbs in the past 90 days. So....... HE did a withdraw and found I was 3.2 cc and added 1 cc = 4.2. But I am not feeling the restriction..... either at all or yet. I will see if there needs to be a few days of settling. At any rate... I think he was being cautious to set a benchmark and see where to go from there. Also.. I have the APS band which has a fill line of 10cc. So I am not yet out of the YELLOW.... but now that I have an idea of what and where I am headed.... I am not going to stress over it. I will go back at the end of May for another fill and hopefully a bit of weight loss. What is a huge bummer is that my new insurance does not cover Bariatric but I am hoping that exclusion will be lifted as this is a life saver and game changer. Im preparing for National Championships and hoping to have MUCH smaller costuming made.

@madsville Good for you for going in and getting a fill. I hope it settles in to be "the" one for you.

I'm wondering if you could address the flouro/radiation issue and share with us what you know about the real risks. I've had a lot of fills/unfills and all are done with flouro. How worrisome is this? Let's base the risk on 5 flouro fills/unfills/year, just for the sake of the discussion (and I can scale from there).

Thanks!

@madsville Good for you for going in and getting a fill. I hope it settles in to be "the" one for you.

I'm wondering if you could address the flouro/radiation issue and share with us what you know about the real risks. I've had a lot of fills/unfills and all are done with flouro. How worrisome is this? Let's base the risk on 5 flouro fills/unfills/year, just for the sake of the discussion (and I can scale from there).

I can't quote risks! But my own doctor says why have any unnecessary radiation at all?

IMO there is no point in fills under XRay unless there is a problem. Sure it shows how fast things go down at that point in time. But the band is over living tissue which is not static. So if I had a full early in the morning, my band wouid seem tight, the same amount in the evening and it wouldn't! I am affected by stress, heat etc.. Many people are affected by TOM.

I have never had a full under XRay and every single fill Ingave had, right from the very first, took me to exactly the right place. My doc test it by giving me thick yoghurt and asking me how it feels!

Thanks!

Sorry. My last post somehow got entangled in the quote! Hope it made sense!

Ok... well under Flouro... it shows how the DR can see things moving. A great way to see if there is slippage. And this seems to be the preferred method with some. However, it doesnt tell the DR how YOU are feeling. Where you are on the restriction, what you can eat... how you are feeling... hungry within 2 hours vs 4... and amount..... etc. Until the other day ( the fill is kicking in ) I could inhale a cheeseburger! BAD BAD BAD.

Im doing a cleanse so after my spoon of pnut butter ( for protein) I made a blast with : Watermelon, Gingerroot, Lemon, Turmeric, Coconut Water, Chia and Flax seed. While its NOT a solid... the chia is like tapioca and expands..... and the flax is great for occular health and the *pipes*

OK~~~ so 3 weeks ago I fell and shattered my wrist in 5 places. It was a freak accident and I ended up having surgery to put in a plate and screws. Well..... they gave me some heavy meds ( percoset) and as a result...... I have been gaining. I know that the meds can bind you up and I have done all the things to keep stuff going. But really.... a 5 lb gain in 1 day?? Then someone mentioned that being under anesthesia can also add weight to you and it will be a good month until that is gone. HOLY COW! I took only about 5 days off of work and so I am doing the best I can with the limitations. Vacuuming with my left hand and doing what I can do. Therapy starts on may 20.

*** I had a fill of 1 cc at the new Dr and I think its to see where I am at and how it works out. I have a total of 4.2 cc in me and I think the pouch holds 12-14. Dr wanted 7 lbs off by the 26th...... but the scale is going the wrong way..... ugh! I am keeping the Fiber up..... and doing the Miralax. Has anyone had this kind of an issue or any input? I started to creep down a few lbs then BAM!! I am up......

Ok... so I went a year without a fill.... found a new Dr locally and love him. I am in a standard band and have since had 2 fills. I am at 6.2 cc and NOTHING is moving. *** I crushed my arm on 4/19/2015 and had surgery / plates and screws... which kept me from any kind of exercise for 10 weeks. I am no longer on any meds..... and am so upset that my 15 lb gain isnt moving. I eat healthy, .... but have a hit and miss on that FULL sensation.

I am afraid that we are going to fill the band to the max and I am not going to lose anymore..

Perhaps changing up my morning meal.... or adding BULK to it...... I dont know. Your input is appreciated

~~~ Feeling so stuck and frustrated~~~

Sorry to hear you feel like you're hitting a wall. I wouldn't worry about filling the whole band and not having any restriction unless you actually get there. Some people need more fill volume than others, and you still have ~40% left of your band to fill up.

Try to focus on foods with lots of Protein and Fiber, to fill you up and keep you full, and make sure you're getting in all your Water.

Also, keep working with your dr to get the band where it needs to be. It's very frustrating when you don't feel the dimmed appetite that the band provides, but you'll get there. Remember that the main way the band works is by making you feel more full with less food. It doesn't help by preventing you from physically eating by being too tight. Here are some links from @@Bandista that are very helpful in case you haven't seen them yet:

Eight Golden Rules of Lapband:
http://www.bariatric...dr-paul-obrien/

The Lapband is not about Restriction:
http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Good luck!

I went a year without a fill and am now on my 3rd fill with this new Dr. I feel the restriction for a day or 2 then nothing. I am not eatting much ( less than 800 calories) and am trying to power the Protein. HONESTLY.... I have been lacked on the Water... and I was proud to put down a gallon easy. I need to really get that going again... no soda for this girl.

I am not feeling the MORE full with LESS.... but now and then I do. Just not on a consistent level.

** I even have an awesome recipe for eggs where you whip the whites into a meringue and sit the yolks down on top and bake for 7 min. Muy yummy... and there is more volume. UGH!

I guess when I first had the band... I was losing like crazy.... then didnt get a fill for a year due to relocation..... and now that I am getting back into the fill again..... Im not losing. I am still 50 lbs from goal and my fear is that I will max out on the band before I hit goal.

I'll look at the links... THANKS

HI Gang.... well I am really at a loss. I am at about a 7.5 on my standard band ( I think its a 10 max) and I am feeling ZERO restriction. I have gained 20 lbs back and am coming back from a injury that put me down for 5 months .

* I have started to pound Protein and *dense foods ( what is that?) I am back training and while I am under 40 carbs a day..... and I drink a ton of Water.... I AM FRUSTRATED!

I was loosing so well after the band was placed and then..... I went a year without a fill ( no insurance) and now I have had 3 fills and I have gained. Yes I know muscle weighs more...... I am trying where the disconnect is.

What happens when I get to the max fill and I am still not losing? Do I need to go to the GASTRIC SLEEVE? Why is this happening?

**I am following the menus per my Bariatric Surgeon and its so sad. I could really use and ALL Input.

If i got 5 lb off by then end of the month I would be thrilled. I am so embarrassed at this point......

What does your dr say? Is he/she worried that you're not feeling restriction yet? It's probably too early to consider a revision surgery until you've filled up your whole band and still have no restriction. And that's definitely something to talk with your surgeon about!

Maybe your dr needs to check if there's a puncture in the band (e.g. could it be leaking and not filling up all the way)? Maybe they should do an x-ray to check that it's in the correct position?

I'm not sure why you don't feel any restriction. It sounds like you're eating healthy and exercising which is great! All I can think of is to seek help from the experts and make them really work for you!

So I am at about 80% filled and am going in for another fill. I am only feeling restriction a wee bit on certain foods... chicken being the key target. I am now GAINING!!! we are going to try a fill and then perhaps a FLUORO to see if the band slipped or what is going on. Because this is not covered by my insurance..... I am covered under PRE existing because I had it BEFORE. I am training hard several days a week at 500am for 2 hours. ITs so frustrating because I track everything and still dont feel FULL..... and wanting to lose the now 20 lbs gained from my wrist injury in April. 4.5 months without being allowed to exercise at all and now I am working double time to get back and with all of it... I am gaining.

UGH!