Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I spoke to a surgeon today and he said no. He said I did not qualify since I am 9 lbs away from the 35 bmi. I am also on beta blockers for Migraines and my blood pressure is lower. I don't know if I have diabetes or sleep apnea. I see my pcp on the 30th. He said that he doesn't think it will work for me because I have been on diets and not lose weight. I come from a family with weight issues. I have 4 uncles that had heart attacks at a young age and my father has copd. I don't want to be 274 lbs again.

The doctor said see a nutritionist. It will be like putting a bandaid on a gushing wound. I have gained 7 lbs in a week. I am just disappointed.

What a huge disappointment for you!

Like all other medical situations...get

another opinion. My first seminar 2 yrs ago

I was told I did not qualify...not heavy enough!

What a shock! Just keep researching.....talking

To others here...trying all the steps of pre-op!

You will gain support here!!

Linda

Yes, get another opinion Lisa. They often do surgery for people under BMI 35 if they have co-morbidities and the family history that you appear to have. Have some blood tests done to check on diabetes or to back up your reasons. His excuse about not sticking to previous diets and not losing weight is ridiculous. None of us have!!!! Don't give up!

https://www.nationalbariatriclink.org/comorbidities-insurancequalification.html list for co-morbidities examples

Edited by DizzyLizzie

Lisa, I am so sorry for what you experienced with your doctor. DON'T GIVE UP!! BMI is just a number, and most surgeons only consider it one of MANY factors....my bmi is barely 32, and I'm scheduled for May.

You CAN do this.

Something just not right about this - big time! Get a second opinion - a third one if need be - just don't give up.

Big hugs ((()))

I was scheduled for the lapband, I did all the pre-op stuff & my BMI ended up being too low (my psychiatrist took my off a major weight gaining drug & I lost 90lbs in 4.5 months) well, a year later I was on massive amounts of steroids due to another health condition and gained weight again-my endocrinologist highly recommended the sleeve over the lapband.. So I decided to go with that.

Yeah get a second opinion.. I yo-yo'd all the time & that can't be healthy (I also take beta blockers-well did for tachycardia) it didn't stop my surgery..

Keep trying. Might I suggest a Barix clinic in your area? They got me thru after I'd been turned down by 2 other surgeons/programs. It's all they do. Not only did they dismiss the reasons I was turned down previously but they got me through in lightening speed. From consult to surgery, maybe 6 weeks. The only bad part was it was 2 hours away.

The surgeon I spoke with only does bariatric surgeries. I have to stop admit I am nervous to try again. I wish I could understand his reason. He said I have been through enough surgeries.

Lisa, COPD is usually caused by emphysema, which is caused most often by smoking. If you don't smoke, COPD isn't likely going to happen to you.

If you have had other surgeries on your stomach, organs, etc., it might not be a good idea for you to have more. Do get a second opinion, though.

I don't smoke and neither does my father. I come from a family on my dad's side who are obese. I really don't know why he has copd.

The surgeries I had was carpal tunnel and I had to have a nerve that was hitting a nerve in my head. I haven't had organ surgery. The surgeries I had make exercising difficult but if I had less weight it would be better.

Find a better doctor! If it's really just a 9 pound difference . . . and you've gained 7-maybe just go back with some quarters in your pocket. Sort of kidding. I know this must be really hard.

I know that INSURANCE companies typically won't cover unless you meet certain parameters-mine was BMI of 35 w comorbidity (I actually take beta-blockers and was hoping that my minor heart palpitations would qualify as a comorbidity, but they didn't) or a BMI of 40+, which ended up happening anyway and then I qualified. But doctors should be able to do it with a lower BMI. In fact, i believe it is a safer surgery-they ask you to lose weight prior to surgery anyway. Inevitably, people will end up lower prior to surgery if their diet is successful.

My pcp did help write papers so I would qualify for surgery, but said similar discouraging things about how I wouldn't be successful with the sleeve if I couldn't lose weight on the pre-surgery diet she gave me. "How do you expect this surgery to help you?" I remember her yelling at me while I cried and her assistant kept sticking me with a needle and failing to find a vein to draw blood. Anyway.

Guess what? If we could all lose weight with diets, then none of us would have gotten surgery. That is the whole point of surgery. To help people who can't do it alone. Otherwise, why would anyone do it?

Have you considered getting an Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty or seek a different surgeon?

I feel so much better hearing your stories. I want to have the sleeve. My pcp is totally for me having surgery. He saw what 274 lbs did to me. I have an appt with a nutritionist may 20 so one of the things my insurance requires will be done. Thank you so much I was so discouraged. I am 9 lbs away from 35 bmi. I started taking beta blockers and has helped me but because it is categorized for my headaches he said it doesn't count.

I hope I find a surgeon to help. Im sure by may 20 I will be 216 or higher.

The surgeon I spoke with only does bariatric surgeries. I have to stop admit I am nervous to try again. I wish I could understand his reason. He said I have been through enough surgeries.

I believe all bariatric surgeons only do bariatrics. However my suggestion was for the Barix clinic specifically. It's a hospital devoted entirely to bariatrics. Hasn't anyone seen the commercial??? It's much different than the bariatric program at a regular hospital.

My ex had it at Barix in 2007 and because of how awesome they were I went in 2014. This after I was denied by the surgeons at 2 hospital bariatric surgeons.

It's very different.

I'm from Michigan and patients came from Canada to have it done there. Luckily I was only 2 hours away but it was way worth the travel.