Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I get enough protein

I am 4 weeks post op and I have lost 44 lbs. I am eating my 3 small meals per day, but the Protein goal seems unacheivable. I simply cannot imagine how I could eat any more than I am. I am eating 300-500 calories per day and that completely satisfies me. What do I do?

At such an early post-op stage, it can be difficult to figure out how to get all the Protein in, for sure! I'm just shy of 6 months post-op RNY, and not being a meat or egg eater, can completely sympathize with where your'e coming from.

With that being said, I would suggest looking into the many types of Protein "shake" supplements that are out there. Everyone has their own favorites- mine happen to be the Syntrax nectar line. Every flavor I've tried has been amazing so far- I make a 24 ounce Water bottle and nurse it all morning, and another one for the afternoon. With 46g of protein and zero carbs per water bottle, I get 92g of whey isolate protein without "eating" a thing. I also really like the banana Cream flavor of Pure Protein- 35g protein, 1 carb per 11 oz can- a nice break from the chocolate/vanilla/strawberry humdrum I found myself in. Another one that I started out with was the Premier Protein shakes: 30g of protein, 5 carbs per 11 ounce container. However, to get that 90 grams in, it put me at 15g of carbs just from shakes- my suggested daily carb limit is 30g, and most of the time, I'd rather get my carbs from eating food I like, rather than "wasting" it on a shake. I also dabbled with the Isopure Protein Drink line, which gives 40g whey isolate per 20oz. bottle. I didn't stick long with them, as they all had a strange metallic aftertaste that got grosser to try and choke down.

When I was newly post-op, I also used a protein "shot" I picked up at the grocery store which had a whopping 40some grams of protein in just 4 ounces. However to me, the taste was horrifying. ;) If you find a Protein Drink you like, (most stores like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe have single serving packets so you don't have to waste money on a tub of powder you can't stand) check with your nutritionist. Everyone's surgeons are different in what they permit/encourage for you to attain your goal quickly and in a healthy way.

My final suggestion is when/if you do find a supplement you like, to monitor how quickly you take in your protein. From what I understand, your body can't process more than about 30g of protein at a time- if I drank my Syntrax too quickly, a good portion of the protein would just "pass through" because my rerouted innards just can't process a lot at a time. Good luck! :)

In the beginning it is helpful to rely on Protein shakes/ drinks to get to your protein goal. You may also have to add Protein Powder to Soups, Cereal, yogurt. As your tummy adjusts you will be able to acheive your goals more easily. I think I was at about 10 weeks before I could finish a whole protein drink without diluting it.

I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder, the vanila and chocolate splendar are great and you get 20 grams of Protein per drink. I make a shake with it and use almond milk and sometimes throw a banana in it. Very tasty.

I also like the Syntex nectar brand of Protein powder. I have been having a cup of Decaf coffee with the vanilla bean torte powder in the morning. Delicious! The chocolate is also fantastic and I drink it with cold Water. Another way I add protein is the unflavored protein to food. Just check the temperature first on all things to make sure they are below 140degrees. Good luck!