Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting back to school. NERVOUS. Encouragement? Advice?

I used to teach a Freshman class related to adjusting to college life that focused on college success skills. You will do great! It's never too late to go back to school.

Some suggestions:

Get and use a good calendar. Time management is key.

Stay healthy (eat properly, exercise and get your sleep) -- something 18 year olds struggle with

Get to know your professors-- use their office hours

Seek out tutoring help early In the term

Never be afraid to ask for help, even from the young folks

Feel free to message me if you want to talk through any specifics or just need to talk.

Congratulations for taking the leap. You won't regret it.

@@une nouvelle vie stay FAR FAR FAR away from those who say you are too old or want to put obstacles in your way. It takes courage and guts to start later. Last thing you need is people who don't encourage learning because it should occur every day of our lives. No matter whether or not that is book learning, people learning, or practice skills.

Here is one for everyone to chuckle over. My parents knew I was pretty smart. I knew book learning. I made A's in physics, spent my freshman summer year getting an extra year of math (and no keep the comments off line please). They would also say the girl does not have enough common sense to come out of the rain. They were sort of worried about me going to college.

I did a whole lot of learning my first year or so. More so in the people/practice dept. than any other. Now I'm the one depended on. Its not just book learning that is important, so don't let younger people who may discount your life skills, experiences, as not being useful. It just means they don't know what true learning is all about.

{{hugs}} and let us know when you graduate.

When I say starting, I mean JUST starting. I've applied to my local community college for a 2 year certificate program and I have an orientation coming up in a few days to give me my next steps. I'm nervous! Scared!

Why scared? I tried college right out of high school and I blew it off. I foolishly cared more about having a good time and hanging with the wrong people and never got an education. Now here I am, in my early 40s and I think I want to try again. I was in that super obese category for SO LONG and I'm down 150 pounds from where I was a year ago and still losing so why not try to improve the old job situation?

It's been over 20 years since I was in a classroom. Obviously MUCH has changed since then. Since it's been so long since my college testing I'll have to take placement tests. So there's something else to be nervous about. That voice in my head that tells me (all the time) what a failure I am is trying to tell me to forget it. It's telling me to either forget this completely or take the "easier" course which would be 100% online but would be for a job that would earn me about $10 less per hour.

Before starting my weight loss journey I would have never, ever thought seriously about doing this. I've lived so many years trapped in that enormous body and it held me back from so many things. I'm party posting this in hopes that someone else has been through this and has advice and partly because if I put it out there, maybe I won't quit.

NERVOUS!

Hi! I know it's hard to control the nerves, but you are making a huge step and you should be proud! I'm an academic advisor for adult students and it never fails to inspire ME when I see people taking that huge leap forward. There are a lot of folks just like you who are wading back into education and every single one of you guys should be so, so proud of taking this first step.

Welcome back!

I continue to be grateful for your nice comments. I truly mean it, I'm so grateful.

My next step is to take the COMPASS tests. I feel confident with the reading, writing, and English but ohhhh math. Math, math, math. Math and I are NOT friends. I just joined https://www.khanacademy.org/ to do some brushing up. They'll let you select any grade level and work your way up. I'm embarrassed to tell you what grade level I started with, but I'm banging through it!

I gave myself permission today to fail. I need to place at a certain math level to enter the program I want to study and I've been so stressed about the math I feel stuck in fear. I gave myself permission to NOT test into that level and to have to take a "lesser" math this summer to work my way up to it. I'm committing to an hour a day on Khan's website and I'll take the test (probably) this coming Thursday. I hope I place where I need to but if I don't, I don't.

I continue to be grateful for your nice comments. I truly mean it, I'm so grateful.

My next step is to take the COMPASS tests. I feel confident with the reading, writing, and English but ohhhh math. Math, math, math. Math and I are NOT friends. I just joined https://www.khanacademy.org/ to do some brushing up. They'll let you select any grade level and work your way up. I'm embarrassed to tell you what grade level I started with, but I'm banging through it!

I gave myself permission today to fail. I need to place at a certain math level to enter the program I want to study and I've been so stressed about the math I feel stuck in fear. I gave myself permission to NOT test into that level and to have to take a "lesser" math this summer to work my way up to it. I'm committing to an hour a day on Khan's website and I'll take the test (probably) this coming Thursday. I hope I place where I need to but if I don't, I don't.

Yes! Just like weight loss, begin where you are and work from there. You have the perfect attitude to be a successful adult student. Yay!

And please don't be embarrassed about math levels. I'm a reasonably successful IT person, and I stopped being able to help my daughters with their school math at the high school level, even though I had to take many years of math beyond that for my computer science degree back in the Fred Flintstone age. I applaud you for your bravery to take charge of your life and for your common sense. None of us ever succeeded at anything by focusing on what we couldn't do. Only on what is possible. Help is out there! Take it and RUN with it!

Hi there! I thought I'd check in with an update. I got perfect scores on both the reading and English parts of the COMPASS but, as i expected, I didn't quite make the math portion I was 3 points away from placing where I needed to be. I considered retaking the test but I know that a few of those right answers were guesses and I'd rather take the remedial class to get myself up to speed than to be placed into a class I may not be able to handle.

I'm enrolled for summer courses (only 3) which start later this month. I'm nervous and excited! I'm meeting with an adviser next week to talk about which program I'm going to go for. Some of the programs are competitive so I'm a little disheartened there but I need to just keep going forward.

Congratulations! It's great to hear you are making progress toward your goal.

I don't think you can go wrong with a math refresher if it has been a while since you were in school. You may be surprised by how much you do remember but having a solid math foundation will help with your other course work.

Congratulations !!! You're on your way!!