Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I going through STARVATION MODE?!

make what your drinking count for nutrition, Protein and calories. you have alot of great advice above. I went thru the I'm not hungry for months. I was curling my nose up at the thoughts of having to eat or drink something. I forced myself to get in my surgeons protocol whether I felt like it or not. 60 grms of protein daily..it literally took me a few wks to work up to getting that full 60 daily bc of the tummy swelling but what I drank which was protein in everything or anything I consumed was protein. I added spoonful of protein to everything. no ice chips here. your body has went thru a major ordeal and requires protein for the body to heal and to give you some energy to get thru the day. fluids and protein. MUST HAVES daily. Did you receive a diet guideline? didn't the preop classes go over instructions ? just asking..when I see these type of questions I start thinking that maybe this person was a self pay and didn't go through the preop education classes I could be wrong please don't get upset that's not my intention here and BM are normal for not happening for at least a wk bc of drastic reduction of intake. I was the full wk..everyone's different in how they're body responds. my first 4 or 5 months when I did get some soft foods in it was usually only 2 to 3 bites at a time and it was protein all the way that counted. I am 10 months out and get about 6 or so bites in now. which is what I expect..:)

I'm scrolling past all the drama but one phrase stood out - previous diet mentality, expecting to fail. Wow. This is what I've totally been feeling. Thanks!

Taking what i need and leaving the rest. In the end this is all advice based on what we have experienced and if you have genuine concerns, you should be calling your Dr or Nut for what to do.

I got the sleeve on April 6. I'm not sure what is hunger and what is healing it what is being sore just yet. I believe we need to drink to stay hydrated. I have been having broth, Optifast shakes, diet Jello and different flavored crystal lights and Water. It takes an hour to finish 8 ounces of a shake. I make sure to always have a cup next to me.

It's only been 5 days and I am already wanting to eat. I almost feel like I'm in rehab and breaking a food addiction. Good luck to all

Starvation mode is real, your metabolic rate drops and you lose energy. get those fatty Protein Shakes that are a good 450 cals, that will keep your body from freakin the f out

@@aubrey222 -- I agree, a lot of the first week or two feels like rehab. I'm a recovering alcoholic (sober 14-1/2 years) and as I was going through the pre-op classes I could see that a lot of what they were teaching felt very similar to the first months of sobriety, and I use a lot of those same tools I learned when first sober now that I am newly sleeved (just under 2 months out). In AA we ask what has to change -- EVERYTHING and nothing. The point is we still have to live our lives. We have to get up, go to work, shower, take care of the family, all that. But now we have to take care of ourselves. This is MY responsibility, just like staying sober was (is). Just like it would be dumb to drink to punish a perceived slight from someone (what we called "drink at them"), it would be dumb to "eat at them" too -- I'm only hurting me.

I don't really know where this came from this morning, lolol -- I just took the thread topic and turned it all inside out.

Oh and my stomach-although newly made much smaller, does growl.. I thought it wasn't supposed to. It's so weird to me. I just eat small amounts or drink liquids & I'm fine-but the growling happens. My kids have even commented on it.

Exact same here @chanel22. When i added Protein I pretty much stalled. Frustrating but in week3 and still following rules. I added prilosec back as well and that helped with the knawing and noisy stomach.

@@Chanel22 My stomach is really loud.. esp. when it is digesting!

I was told by my surgeon and nutritionist to suck it up and drink it. At this time you aren't hungry (or thirsty) but I was told when I got in only 30-35 oz Fluid and maybe one Protein Shake I was putting my body in danger. What made it real for me was the nutritionist saying if I was in the hospital with such low levels I could have issues with my kidneys shutting down and would be given a feeding tube. That scared me and even though liquids are the bane of my existence (the idea of forcing myself seemed wrong also) I am really trying today.

I had my final pre-op surgical appointment and my surgeon spent 2 hours with us going into detail about risks of complications as well as weight loss success.

The people with the fewest complications and the highest success rate are those who get enough Protein (100 grams for me). It's non-negotiable.

It has made me even more committed to getting my Protein. Whether or not Ii feel like it, or think I can do it, or feel bad doing it, I have made up my mind that I WILL get in my protein (and water).

He explained that even with swelling, there is no physical reason we shouldn't be able to drink at least 3 premier Protein shakes (or equivalent) a day. That the only barrier is mental in almost all cases.

@@Inner Surfer Girl I agree with the seriousness of getting proper nutrition, especially Protein, post-op. However, I heartily disagree with the "only barrier is mental in almost all cases," I don't know if the surgeon is just exaggerating to make his point or what actual data he is using.

My concern is that there are people who will make themselves ill trying to follow that advice and tell themselves that it's a mental problem when it is not.

I have been lucky- no complications and a smooth recovery. It took me about a week before I could get in 60 gm of Protein and that was fine. Each person heals at a different rate.

What worked for me was keeping a log. I used a medicine cup and tracked each ounce of Fluid and protein- with the goal of 4 ounces per hour, initially. I increased gradually and stopped the medicine cups when I could drink more and "graduated" to my son's old peter rabbit cup :)

Good Luck!

@@Inner Surfer Girl I agree with the seriousness of getting proper nutrition, especially Protein, post-op. However, I heartily disagree with the "only barrier is mental in almost all cases," I don't know if the surgeon is just exaggerating to make his point or what actual data he is using.

My concern is that there are people who will make themselves ill trying to follow that advice and tell themselves that it's a mental problem when it is not.

I have been lucky- no complications and a smooth recovery. It took me about a week before I could get in 60 gm of Protein and that was fine. Each person heals at a different rate.

What worked for me was keeping a log. I used a medicine cup and tracked each ounce of Fluid and protein- with the goal of 4 ounces per hour, initially. I increased gradually and stopped the medicine cups when I could drink more and "graduated" to my son's old peter rabbit cup :)

Good Luck!

Yea, I agree.. My Dr told me to get in my fluids and as much protein as I could.. which was maybe an ounce of Protein shake an hour.. I'm just now able to drink a full drink in maybe 2 hours..

My surgeon commented to me some ppl don't growl some do..mine definitely does!! Very noisey..????

Mine told me that the noise would stop.