Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I going through STARVATION MODE?!

@@x0CheekzVSG

Do not be afraid you are going to fail. I went through exactly what you are going through. Yes you are in starvation mode. your body doesnt know that you are trying to lose weight for your health, All it knows is that you are starving therefore it is trying to help you by keeping your body fat. Try to eat some ricotta and drink your Protein shakes. You will be fine. I know you are afraid cause i was too but that is the old diet mentality coming through. We all tried and failed so much that it is locked in our brains. You will succeed and you will eventually be hungry again. All that is expected of you is your best and no more than that. Try to eat what you can and you will move on to other varieties of food. My issue was the lack of options. If you ever need to just vent send me a message.

@@Babbs

First of all I do not appreciate you coming up here leaving your advice trying to do called "check me" I was never once short with anyone so get that right ! I listened to everyone's advice and even asked questions so I made sure I got it right... Or did I not? Idk if LipstickLady is your friend or w.e so you feel the need to go to bat for her but as you see she was the one being short and stank with me!

I appreciate everyone's advice that I liked! Thank you!

And to all others reading this if you are a know it all and think you are trying to tell me something without giving me friendly advice and wants to be rude then keep it moving ! I would never do that to someone its not very nice! At the end of the day you are not a professional and all you can offer is advice! And that's all I ever asked for

LOL! Go to bat for @@LipstickLady?? Um, I don't think she needs ANYBODY to go to bat for her!

If "going to bat" means agreeing with her, then yes. Her first advice was spot on, but because you felt she has a "tone', you chose to dismiss it. Like I said, we are just trying to help, and some of you newbies make it very hard when you automatically become defensive and combative when you don't automatically get the answer you want to hear.

I gave you friendly advice. Listen to the people who have been there and done that, because they really do know what they are talking about. I think that's some pretty sound advice if you ask me.

... if LipstickLady ... was the one being short and stank with me!

I appreciate everyone's advice that I liked! Thank you!

And to all others reading this if you are a know it all and think you are trying to tell me something without giving me friendly advice and wants to be rude then keep it moving ! I would never do that to someone its not very nice! At the end of the day you are not a professional and all you can offer is advice! And that's all I ever asked for

Really? I answered your questions patiently. When my answers were no longer to your satisfaction, I stopped. Why in the world are you calling ME out when I've done nothing but try to help you?

You really think your words about me AFTER I left this conversation were "nice"? Interesting.

You have a great day.

@@Babbs & @@LipstickLady

Both of you are not helpful at all!! Granted you have been through this but so what doesn't not mean everyone is the same! Both of you always post with your know it all responses instead of actually nice and helpful! You want to go back and forth with me really?? No one was defensive so get that right! I asked simple questions looking for advice not to be chastised like a child because you think your some type of expert!

You can continue to be nasty all you want I will have no parts of it! I think best of you do not respond to this post anymore! But if you do you will definitely be ignored! Thanks but no thanks!

@@Babbs & @@LipstickLady

Both of you are not helpful at all!! Granted you have been through this but so what doesn't not mean everyone is the same! Both of you always post with your know it all responses instead of actually nice and helpful! You want to go back and forth with me really?? No one was defensive so get that right! I asked simple questions looking for advice not to be chastised like a child because you think your some type of expert!

You can continue to be nasty all you want I will have no parts of it! I think best of you do not respond to this post anymore! But if you do you will definitely be ignored! Thanks but no thanks!

Anyone can go back through this entire thread and see how "rude", "mean", "know it all", "chastising", and (my personal favorite) "short and stank" I've been with you. I would bet that most people here would disagree that I tried to be anything BUT nice and helpful. If you chose to read it differently, that's on you, not me.

As far telling me not to respond in a thread anymore? Ok. ;)

you are probably not going to have a sensation of hunger anymore. Removing most of the stomach will do that. My stomach does not growl or anything anymore, and I've found myself going for long periods of time throughout the day without eating or drinking. I have to remind myself to do it even though I'm not hungry.

You're probably not going to have an appetite for a while. You need to adjust your thinking around food. We as obese people try to learn not to eat when we're not hungry, (good advice for most), but your surgeon took out your "hungry"! Think about eating (or for now, drinking your protein) as part of your prescription, because it IS. Early on we do it because it's good for us and will contribute to the healing process. Would you allow your kids to skip their meds because they don't taste good and they don't "feel" like taking them? NEVER! Fuel your body correctly and it will respond. There are a plethora of Protein products on the market. Fine a few you can tolerate. Isopure is a clear one some folks like. I lived on Syntrax nectar Iced Lemon Tea for MONTHS post op while advancing my diet. You'll have more choices as you advance your diet. Now I just toss a scoop of whey in my coffee for a latte and enjoy a PowerCrunch Protein Bar (cookie) in the afternoon, but I still get at least 75g of Protein per day even in maintenance.

You still sound unconvinced that eating an Italian ice because you are not hungry is a good idea. It's not, I can assure you. Drinking one Protein shake a day even if you don't feel like it isn't going to cause you to gain weight or retain weight. Your body needs nutrition. Call your nutritionist and talk to them about this. I really don't think there is anything else anyone can say that hasn't already been said. If it is a matter of not liking the options presented on the full liquid stage, then talk to them about advancing to purees.

If you can keep them down drink your Protein whether your hungry or not if you can't then just keep your fluids up till you can.

@@BLERDgirl how do I sound unconvinced? I have not said one thing today about it. I have upped my Protein, but that's something you should ask and not assume.

All of the advice that I did get I listened, and I have been sipping all day on a Protein Shake even though I am not hungry and trying my best to get in my Water in between.

For the first couple of months after my surgery I had to set an alarm to remind me to eat and drink like I was supposed to. We would never think that would EVER be a problem for us with our old mentality, but it is a real issue! LOL! It goes away but you definately need to eat and drink even though you don't feel like it. That is where a lot of the complications come in after this surgery with lack of nutrition and dehydration. Your body cannot function without food very well but it DEFINATELY cannot function without fluids and that is why most people end up back in the hospital. Keep trying to get it in as it sounds like you are doing and power through this part because it does get better! Good luck to you!

The advice everyone is giving is to get your Protein like the surgeon recommends. I think most of us went through the period of not really feeling like eating or drinking but you are supposed to get your protein to heal your body and start your weight loss. It is more of a project to do it in the beginning but follow guidelines given by surgeon about protein goals for best results.

When my son had his sleeve, three years ago, he had to set his alarm to remember to eat...seriously!!! I don't have to do that. I just have set a schedule for myself to eat.

you are probably not going to have a sensation of hunger anymore. Removing most of the stomach will do that. My stomach does not growl or anything anymore, and I've found myself going for long periods of time throughout the day without eating or drinking. I have to remind myself to do it even though I'm not hungry.

In the very early stages I viewed drinking Water and getting in as much Protein as I could my "job." When I am at work it doesn't really matter whether I want to do something or not-- I do it because it's my job! I found it was easier to do when I viewed like that. Also, keep sipping, that will help. Have you tried greek yogurt? That was a life saver for me-

Don't worry about starvation. That is not a problem at this point in time. The most important thing is fluids. Without that people end up in the hospital with dehydration. Protein is next and hopefully your totals will improve.

Don't expect to feel hungry for awhile. If you are lucky, maybe for a long while! I was so annoyed when my hunger came roaring back at 4 weeks!

Good Luck.

@Xocheekzvsg

I had BM problems in the very beginning, and still not able to get my full amount of Protein w/shakes or my daily 64 oz of Water. I spoke with my surgeon and with the lack of Fiber, he recommended me to buy the Fiber gummies. It really seem to help out with the BM issues, and they are also good to have for the family too! Proud that your getting your Protein intake higher, and it's going to be a work in progress to build it up to the diet plan.

I just made my 1 month mark and I definitely need all the support & advice from everyone who've gone, going, or planning to take this VSG journey.

Everyone on hear seems to be very supportive & helpful.