Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It depends on your insurance and health overall. Through tests within the next 6 months you can uncover some additional health issues like I did (hopefully not). Below was my process:

Jan- WLS seminar

Jan-PCP blood work (diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure.

Jan-called insurance to confirm WLS details. I need 3 mth surprised, 40+ BMI or less than 40 BMI with 2 comorbidities.

Feb-initial meeting with WLS center. Same day did additional blood work to check out my Vitamin levels.

Feb-endoscopy

Feb-sleep test(found out I had mild sleep apnea, needed 2nd sleep test, and need CPAP for the months before surgery then not after)

March-Psych evaluation and clearance letter. He gave me the little right then and there. Depends on your doc they might ask for longer time visiting psych.

March-PCP clearance letter

March-1st weight loss maintenance meeting with center.

March-2nd sleep test

April-2nd weight management meeting

April-meet with endoscopy doctor for antibiotics. Endoscopy found I had a bacteria.

April-meet with sleep doctor for cpap machine. Need to use cpap for 1 mth before pulmonary clearance letter. After letter, still need to use machine until surgery.

Coming up:

May- last weight loss management

meeting and NUT meeting on same day. Center will send paperwork into insurance.

After insurance approval. I will meet with doctor and schedule surgery. I am looking to have surgery mid July because it works with my work schedule. I'm planning to take 2 weeks off and possibly work from an office near by either the second week and not take 2 week vacation. Or the third week and take two week vacation.

So overall it will take me 6 mths! Oh and from what I know I will have to do a preop diet. It will consist of 1 low carb meal a day then liquids-Protein shakes I believe.

This is my journey so far but everyone is different depending on doc. My friends doc didn't require sleep test for her not sure why!

Good luck!

Edited by Nyelaah

Mclorrie you said you started the 6 month diet in Jan and this next month you're done??? That would only be 5 months. Does your insurance require 1 visit per 30 days or something different?

I have United Healthcare Community Plan(medicaid). This is the medical policy regarding bariatric surgery

https://www.unitedhealthcareonline.com/ccmcontent/ProviderII/UHC/en-US/Assets/ProviderStaticFiles/ProviderStaticFilesPdf/Tools%20and%20Resources/Policies%20and%20Protocols/Medical%20Policies/C&S/bariatric_surgery_CS.pdf

I started this process in Sept 2014 but because of an insurance change at the beginning of the year things were delayed a bit. I hoping to have the surgery in June because that works best for me, I have an appt in this Tuesday with my surgeon.

Does your surgeon require you lose a certain amount before surgery? I'm down twenty pounds just making small changes in my diet mainly giving up soda and sweets. You'll be surprised how quickly the time passes. Try not to be discouraged, Best of luck

Hi everyone! I went to my 1st apt with the surgeon and he said I would be a good candidate for the gastric sleeve. My current weight is 249 and I'm 5'5 and 1/2. My bmi is 40 so I cannot lose any weight . Does anyone else have current situation?

Depends on your insurance. Many require 6 month supervised diet, psych eval, nutritionist visits, sleep study, cardio clearance or other testing / classes. The 6 months really do go by fast though.

My insurance actually approved me with me having been on ww for 6 months. My process was really fast - sometimes I think it would have been better to wait, but I'm not complaining.

I am hoping to get approved asap because according to my bmi and my height i am considered morbidly obese those words alone make me sick to my stomach this is the life change i need.

I am also due for surgery in August. Had my first appointment April 1st. Had my first psychology evaluation,dieticians, and insurance clearance. Have appointment with my surgeon on April 21st. Had my stress test too

Mclorrie you said you started the 6 month diet in Jan and this next month you're done??? That would only be 5 months. Does your insurance require 1 visit per 30 days or something different?

@@MrsB2007

I had two appointments in January (first one with my surgeon, and my second one with my NUT) which counted for my first & second weight loss appts. I have UHC which requires six - doctor supervised weight loss appointments. So May will be my sixth one and they'll submit it to insurance for approval. :)

Edited by mclorrie

Same counting for mine 2 first month

Surgeon appointment went great. Taking copy of My stress test and letter saying I can be off my blood thinner for a day to his office on Monday so they can schedule my endo. On my way. Next nut/appointment may 21st.

Edited by perk4756