Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baldness is in my future .... :/

Good God, I am so scared. You should see how much my hair is falling. I take 10,000 mg Biotin a day. I don't know what else to do. To the veterans, how long does it last? I am so scared of having bald Patches on my head. I see it thining out so much.

Look at the picture below (graphic, sorry)....that is how much hair I lost in one time washing my hair tonight.

So sad.

post-234904-0-02015600-1428209894_thumb.jpg

Don't freak out so soon. Time will tell. Honestly, that is the hair I would normally lose! I guess I lose a lot even without the surgery!

Yup. Been there, still there. Been shedding for at least a month now, I didn't really take note as to when it started. My surgery was 12/3/14. It appears to be slowing, and I am using Nioxin Shampoo, not the scalp treatment - the treatment or conditioner seems to make me lose more hair than when I don't use it. But the shampoo seems to work well, it does what it says - stimulates the hair follicles, and cleans them out good. Who knows when it will stop, I've heard many months, for some. I cut my hair to just under the chin, and it looks fuller that way - lots of compliments on it. I brush it vigorously every morning, which seems to have stopped most of the daily shedding all over the place. I figure it will come out anyway, just get it over with! We should keep a log of it, to show others what we experience, then they can have an idea of what to expect.

Hope you have a Blessed Easter!

My hair started falling out month three and seemed to stop by month 8 or so. I will be a year out this month and any signs of thinning are completely gone now. I have always eaten plenty of Protein and started taking Biotin 2 months prior to surgery. There really isn't much you can do to prevent it. I purchased toppik spray on fibers on Amazon and it did wonders to conceal my thinning hair. I actually still use a spray or two on my pale scalp to make my hair appear thicker. A small bottle goes a long way. Make sure to purchase the optional spray applicator.

Edited by Bluesea71

I'm sure you are, but just to remind you - make sure you're getting all your Protein in. Biotin helps, but hair is all Protein - if you're not getting enough that's definitely going to affect your Hair loss.< /p>

So hair loss is a real thing ... as I have learned over the past 8 weeks. My surgery was on 12/18/14 and I started losing hair about 8 weeks ago. I am losing handfuls at every washing and over the past 8 weeks I have seen about a 50% loss according to my stylist. I pound Protein, Biotin, zinc and magnesium along with my bariatric Vitamins and nothing has reduced the loss.

I started with LOTS of thick hair, so it still isn't noticeable to many people, but YIKES! If it doesn't slow or stop soon I will be bald.

Has anyone actually needed to go wig shopping? I lost lots of hair after each of my three pregnancies, but this is ridiculous.

@@Pac-woman , that picture you posted looks exactly like the amount of hair I lose every time in the shower. I feel your pain. I am nine months out and still shedding buckets of hair a day. If my hair had not been so crazy thick before surgery I am sure I would be bald by now. It's scary. I also take 10,000 mg of Biotin, multi vit., zinc, folic acid, vit B complex. I get on average 90 grams of Protein a day, some days more. I drink plenty of Water and all my blood work is normal. I guess it's the luck of the draw. I have some friends who had the gastric sleeve, they eat like crap, drink soda, don't take Vitamins and their hair is perfect. Lets hope our Hair loss ends soon!!

Yeah, the hair on top is definitely less in quantity, but today I noticed the "fuzzy" look - you know, when the new hair grows in, but is to short to bend over like the rest of them, so it sticks out all over! Which is a GOOD thing! At least something is growing up there! One other point, I now have the GREATEST eyelashes I have ever had!!!! Must be the biotin! Unfortunately, I also have a FOREST of leg hair that would make Yeti proud! Not to mention the uni-brow, and boundless hair growing elsewhere where it really has no business being....SO WHY LEAVE MY HEAD NAKED????? I just want to know....

Is there anyone out there who has found a good Shampoo that helps with the Hair loss? I have tried an emu oil shampoo. emu oil is supposed to be great for hair loss and regrowth- but so far it isn't working for me.

I had thin hair to start with, and lots and lots of Hair loss. I feel like I was a worse case scenario. I got all Protein in every day and labs were fine. I lost for about 8 months total. However, I had a lot of weight to lose, and it took about 14 months of severely restricted calories to do it. It took a full year to come back, and it's still improving. I'm almost back to where I started, thank goodness. So, even in my worst case scenario, I didn't go completely bald. I think most people lose less, and for a shorter time, and it grows back quicker.

Great topic! I have been losing my hair since the first month when my weight loss was very rapid. I am now six months post op and yes my hair is still falling out at an alarming rate. Thank goodness I was blessed with a very thick head of hair. I have probably lost 2/3 of my volume.

Yesterday I had my six month check in yesterday and asked the doctor about this. He shared with me that there is nothing you can do to stop the Hair loss and it will continue until you stop losing weight and your body normalizes. The Biotin will aid in regrowth only so it is a good idea to take that supplement. I have lots of little short hairs growing in.

The good news, your hair should only be thinning and there should be no bald Patches. If you have that going on, you should go to the doctor.

I am going to look at it this way, if my hair were to completely come out, and I had to wear a wig (which I have been assured that this should not happen), I would still be happier losing my excess weight. I can always wear a wig for a short period, I could never hide how heavy and miserable I was. I certainly could not hide all of my horrible health issues.

I have never felt better and it has all been worth it!

I'm only 4 weeks out, I haven't lost any hair (no more than usual shedding.) I know it's still rather early for me...

It could be genetic how it effects everyone, but I was very strict with haircare prior to this surgery. I don't use sulfate products,I know to always avoid silicone/paraben hair styling products, drinking lots of Water and taking Aloe Vera, Vitamin E in addition to the Biotin should stabilize it. If you like tea, I've discovered White Tea and Rooibos help cleanse my skin and hair so much when I feel bad in general.

@ good idea about the tea- I will start drinking it today. I am willing to try anything at this point. Mine didn't start shedding until about five months out. I also took great care of my hair. I even started Biotin six months before surgery. I was reading on line about cucumbers and how they contain silica which is supposed to help. I have already brought a bag full of cucumbers this morning. LOL. Hope it stops soon.

@@glitter eyes I know my surgeon told me Protein, zinc and Iron also play a big role in the hair loss, but you shouldn't take the zinc supplements in high doses since it interferes with the Iron absorption, but maybe eating more foods that have it like lamb or oysters!