Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My last pre-appointment is April 8. Then I have to send it off to insurance. Do you think I should get the surgery before my wedding, May 23 or after? I am generally healthy, I have a high tolerance to pain and I generally bounce back from things very quickly. I really want my surgery before, but I really dont want anything to happen. I know I cant tell the future, but I was curious to see what other people who have had it thinks!

Thanks!

Personally, I would hate to have my wedding and honeymoon within a month of surgery. You wont feel your best, you will have bloating and soreness from the surgery. I wouldn't want the stress of worrying about fluids and Protein to shadow what should be a great forever memory...

I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance and went back to work after 7 days, yet sex was a definite no go for 2 weeks. Something to consider if you want a great honeymoon : )

My last "6 month" weigh in is Apr 21st. They told me it can take about 2 months to have a surgery date. Only because you have to have insurance approval, then have your nutrition classes, and then start the 2 week liquid diet. My bet is that you wont be able to schedule before your wedding. They told me to plan on June or early July.

That being said.... definitely DON'T do it before your wedding!!!!!!! I've heard weakness, nausea, getting used to eating can take months, pain from surgery (no sex...) etc...

If I were you, I would marry, go on my honeymoon and live it up! Then come back and get down to business! :)

Congrats!

Are you having a big wedding with a big dress, etc? One thing to consider is you will drop a significant amount of weight the first month. That will throw a huge curve ball into things as you will be dropping weight each week and your dress may not fit right and require significant expensive alterations The first month post-surgery is the hardest, as you are adjusting to a new lifestyle. Your calorie intake is restricted so your energy will be very low for awhile. You won't be able to eat your own wedding food or cake if your having a wedding reception a month out post surgery.

I will be celebrating one year post surgery this month and am at goal. I have to be honest. I didn't always look my best those first 6 months post surgery. My hair got really thin and there's kind of this "look" I think a lot of WLS patients get. I can't really describe it, but I'm glad it somewhat goes away the further you get out from surgery! Personally, I would hold off on the wedding (if it isn't planned, of course) until you can rock your hot new body. You can thank me later when you have all of your photos to look at. If its too late for that (which I'm thinking it is unless you're planning a small courthouse affair) than wait until after your wedding to have surgery. Now a year out I can eat anything but for the first few months you will only be able to eat a few bites and be stuffed. I was one of the lucky ones and had Zero complications post surgery. You never know what your outcome will be. There are plenty of people who fight exhaustion, heartburn, throw up, have incision pain. You name it. If your incisions are still healing, you wouldn't be able to go into a pool/hot tub on your honeymoon. Just things to consider. Good luck with your decision!

Edited by Bluesea71

I would 100% say wait until after your wedding. This may be the inner fatty in me, but I would really want to enjoy my wedding cake, the food, the champagne, and all of that on my honeymoon afterward. You will feel like complete crap if you get the surgery before your wedding. I also have a high pain tolerance and had very little issue with pain. My issue was that you literally cannot eat much of anything, so you pretty much feel like garbage for a few weeks. You have the rest of your life to be thin...scheduling your surgery now as opposed to scheduling it in June really won't matter in the grand scheme of life and you will get to truly enjoy one of the most significant events of your life.

As someone who at 19 months out and is finally at goal weight, I can absolutely say I would have waited to go through the process until after my wedding. It is a tough first few weeks and if you make your goal weight one month later than would have been the case otherwise, will it matter more to you than being able to really enjoy your wedding? Eat that cake! Drink that champagne! Have hot sex with your husband! It will be the last time for a few months you will really get to enjoy any of that- it may as well be at your wedding.

I would wait until after. I had a beautiful and fast recovery, but the soonest I could have had my surgery was about a month after they sent in all my paperwork due to the surgeon's schedule. I think I would want to make sure that there was no way I'd miss out on feeling great on my wedding day/honeymoon. While everything will surely be great after your surgery, there are cases where people feel sick after eating or get really tired easily or sometimes have some kind of other more serious stuff going on. Putting an extra few weeks between your wedding and your surgery would not be a bad idea. Whatever you decide, congratulations and enjoy this time :) So much exciting stuff!

I was scheduled for surgery 3 weeks after my last appointment. I would personally try to have the surgery after your wedding. Aim for 2 weeks after your honeymoon is over. That way you don't have to be too concerned with anything surgery related during or after the wedding. Some people get constipated. Others have diarrhea. You definitely don't want either during your wedding. I am only 2 weeks post op and lost 18 pounds. It was mainly from my stomach too. I already have clothes that don't fit. You will also be tired and sore. Its not unbearable, but probably not how you want to spend your wedding.

Good luck on both counts though!

I'm getting married in two weeks and is waiting for my date. The last thing you want it to have something burdening you during your special day. Keep your focus on your wedding. Have the surgery after they honey moon.