Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is Monday April 6th

MPerkins hi I'm almost 3 weeks post op and have no problems to date. Surgery went very well and I had no issues that some people experienced. I'm wishing the same for you. Keep us posted. Good luck.

I just had my surgery 4/2/15. I was scared and nervous. It was a huge decision. I did everything my surgeon asked of me before surgery. I lost 40 lbs in 6 months and started walking and exercising regularly . I even ran a 5k the Sunday before surgery. I think all of the preparations before have paid off in recovery. The gas pain was intense, but I would make 4/5 laps at oug the hospital floor every two hours while awake. Day 4 I even walked 1.25 miles. It was at a much slower pace than prior to surgery, but all the moving as helped move the gas. I can honestly say I feel like I'm 85%. I have a hard time getting the Protein and Water in, but do my best. I want the best weight loss possible and make this all worth it . Of course it was hard on Easter only 4 days after surgery watching everyone celebrating with food. I had a little cry and picked myself up and went for a walk. Saturday and Sunday I was kind of emotional and regretting what I had done. Pain sucks, but every day it gets better. I can't wait to have this be a distant memory, till then I just keep moving!

Hello MPerkins. Post op day 3.. I'm still in the hospital due to nausea/ vomiting and not eating/drinking enough. I'll probably be here one more day. Are you still in the hospital or did you go home yet? During my surgery the surgeon found tat I had a moderate hiatal hernia which he repaired. I'm not sure if that added to my recovery time. Let's keep in touch .. and support one another on this journey.

MrsG, it seems you are doing extremely well.. Wonderful and keep up the good work!!

Hello everyone!! I am 3 days postop and I am feeling a little better each day. The day of surgery my O2 sat. was really low in recovery, they hooked me up to a cpap machine and in no time I was better. Pain has not been bad at all. At first it felt like I had done a million sit ups, but today its so much better and I may not even take my pain meds.

The gas pain is worse when I wake up, so I rock or walk around and it goes away. I've had NO nausea, they put a Dramamine patch on me right before I went to OR and I haven't been nauseous at all.

Yesterday my bowels woke up and I passed a little gas, that was the green light for trying 2 oz at a time instead of one. So far I'm able to do Protein shake and Protein hot chocolate and they are yummy. LOL Hopefully the protein will improve my energy.

I am focusing on getting all my liquids for the day. The first few days it was work and I couldn't stay awake long enough. lol LAst night every time I woke up I drank some. So today I hope to get all protein and all 64 oz. of liquids in.

I am trying to figure out how to get my meds in. I have to empty the capsules and mix w a liquid and it tastes pretty disgusting. I will write my surgeons office for some advice and I am certainly open to suggestions from you all!!

I am so blessed that everything went so smoothly! I feel great!

Looks like Ive dropped a few pounds. I will update my little ticker thing asap.

Missy

Hello MPerkins. Post op day 3.. I'm still in the hospital due to nausea/ vomiting and not eating/drinking enough. I'll probably be here one more day. Are you still in the hospital or did you go home yet? During my surgery the surgeon found tat I had a moderate hiatal hernia which he repaired. I'm not sure if that added to my recovery time. Let's keep in touch .. and support one another on this journey.

LeeRN, Hang in there girl! Im sorry your having tough time. I would say that hernia repair has slowed you down a little. I was convinced I had a hernia but my surgeon said I didnt. Do your best and dont give up! It will get better. How are you feeling today? I was discharged Tuesday afternoon. Every day I feel better. You will too!

Missy

Thank you nyxn! and congrats on your surgery date. I started my journey almost a year ago to the day! I almost gave up a few times because I was having trouble getting all the Doctors and offices involved to share their information, etc. Then one day(3 weeks ago) I got a call saying I had been approved. Have you started your preop diet yet? Ugh it was tough! Today my belly is gurgling around and sounding like a washing machine! lol

I'm now on Day 5 of my three week pre-op liquid diet and finding it really difficult. Not sure what your surgeon has recommended for you, but I'm only allowed Ensure HP (5 bottles daily) and one cup of skim milk. I'm allowed Water, non-carbonated diet drinks i.e., Brisk diet Ice Tea, and sugar-free flavored water (Milo, Crystal Lite). I was okay on Day 1, and 2, struggled Day 3, almost made it through Day 4, but cheated at dinner. I did it consciously, and although I regret that I did it, I've moved forward. I did have really bad gurgling on Day 2 and 3 ( quite embarrasing). Most of Day 4 (before the cheat), the gurgling had stopped.

New dawn, new day, and 14 days from now is my surgery. Equally excited and apprehensive (read scared sh****less).

I started this journey in April 2013 so it has been two years now.

Mercedes :)

Mercedes, dont get too down on yourself! That preop diet is killer! Once youve finished and have your surgery you will see it was all worth it! Keep your head up and stay focused, you can do this! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Missy

I had my surgery the 6th too. I think the pain started to feel better when I got home. I am having random back pain I'm not exactly sure what it is. It's more uncomfortable then painful. Good luck!!

Hello everyone! Just thought I would check in! Good news is, post surgical pain for me was minimal. I did have the gas, which would show up in weird places like my left ribcage and wrap abound my back, but it subsided within 3 or 4 days. Also, I've hit onederland!I haven't been under 200 in a long time! My clothes are already fitting differently, and that's exciting to me! I love it!

I am struggling with a few important things. Energy level!! Wow! I have good days and I have not so good days. I am alone in this and its a struggle every day to get my liquids in! I follow my Docs advice by alternating g2, Water, milk, Protein Soup, and premier shakes, but the one time I met my intake requirements, I got sick! lol I felt so bad and feared I had stretched my pouch. I almost go dehydrated, but called my doctors office and got motivated and back on track. It is a struggle every day and I wonder how in the world I will a) have enough energy to get back to work B) will I ever get everything in?

I would appreciate some advice! I would like to have 2 good days in an row. lol

I had to go to Walmart today and it zapped me so I took a nap and now I am behind on my fluids. Ugh.

My surgery was April 6th. Also. I was so scared. And the gas pains are something else.my advice for that it to stop pain meds asap. the first time was such a labor of love I call it. I drank some mechanical. And also took some Gas X.finally that's fading..must walk yes.

Time for a check in! Sorry I have been MIA.I somehow missed this thread. Still trying to orient myself to this message board. Update on me: Pain is very bearable now..mostly incisional but that will improve soon enough with the healing process. I'm struggling with what to eat (read: drink! lol) as I have tired of Optifast (was on it 3 wks pre-op) and all I have left is vanilla..never liked it to begin with. I'm also shocked how my energy level is so poor. I had my 1st post-op apt yesterday and decided to shop a bit afterward and oh my goodness I was pooped and had to sit on the stool in the dressing room to try clothes on (none I picked fit..grrr BTW). I am supposed to be back to work on Monday. Thankfully my job doesn't require to to run my butt off all day like I used to..desk job now.. so hopefully all will go well there though I think I will be exhausted by the end of the week. I have lost 25lbs since my very first visit with the surgeon (many months ago).about 10-15 of it post op. My jeans are literally falling off my butt..which feels awesome!

So tell me my fellow April Sleevers..how are you all doing?

My surgery was April 6, as well. I had minimal pain, and just some gas here and there. It's tolerable. I was in the hospital an extra day because my blood pressure got really high after surgery. I went back to work one week post op and I've been fine, albeit a little more tired. I'm ready for real food. Already tired of Protein Shakes and I'm only on day 2 out of two weeks lol. Glad to hear that most sleevers are doing well, too. I think I've lost about 15 pounds post op, my pants are looser. Trying to only weigh myself once a week so I don't become focused on a number.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on Monday (20 April) so am 3 days post op. I chose to go home yesterday vs. staying one more day in hospital. Surgery went well and my incisions (6 plus a drain) look like they are healing well - dry and not painful to touch. Two are still a bit tender and slightly moist. Have a lot of gurgling in the stomach - a good sign. The only pain I am experiencing is a hot, burning sensation in the bottom right hand quadrant of my abdomen. Has anyone else experienced this?

Walking is fine, able to go up and down two flights of stairs slowly, toileting is a problem (sitting down/ standing up), urine is okay, passing gas, but yet to pass stool (sorry for the visual).

The only problem I'm experiencing (so far) is that hot poker type pain which makes bending even minutely, very difficult.

Able to ingest 100g of Greek yogurt in 30 mins - trying for 2 a day, trying to ingest 2 bottles of Ensure High Protein as well and taking sips of Water throughout the day to a total of 1 litre.

Was given liquid codeine to take every 4 - 6 hrs.

Edited by nyxn

Get off pain meds asap. They constipate so much. Gas pains are the worst. It will all go away. I'm 19 days out. Feeling tired still. Occasional. Suture soreness. But all good

I'll give that a try. It's now Day 5 post surgery and the pain is still there. More present when I'm trying to sit down and stand up -- I still need to use walls or the chair arms as support. Pain has lessened a bit.