Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four months post - surgery............My Hair :(

4 months post-surgery and OMG my hair is really falling out. Why? I was told I eat enough Protein, I drink my Calcium, I take my Vitamins and also take my Biotin.

I am ready to shave my head and see what happens. :)

Any ideas besides the Shampoo w/Biotin in it.....

Thanks..............

I am also doing all of those things, and am scared of hair loss. I wonder if the loss is surgery related, starvation related, what? I always thought it was due to the anesthesia, but since it is such an issue with bariatric patients I guess it must be diet related?

In my humble opinion, nothing will prevent your hair from falling out. It happens to most. I thought I dodged a bullet, but I started losing hair at around 5 months. I do everything by the book...vitamins, Protein, you name it. Still lost some hair. Luckily, it was thick enough that I was the only one who noticed. Well, along with my hairdresser ;) At almost 8 months out, I am noticing some re growth, ( I look like I stuck my finger in a socket with all the new hairs growing in) so it didn't last too long. Hopefully it will be the same for you :)

Edited by Babbs

Biotin does not make you grow hair, it just makes what you have healthier. My nurse suggested Nioxin Shampoo, it is suggested for those on chemo. I found it on Amazon.com, but you can get it at salons, apparently. It stimulates the follicles, but doesn't actually regrow hair. I have found just using the shampoo is best for me, as it seemed the conditioner actually made more hair come out. The loss appears to be slowing, but I cannot attribute that to the shampoo, or anything else, for that matter.

I have hypothyroidism, and my thyroid was low again for awhile, so that probably contributed to some of my loss, as it always does for me. Now that I'm back on track with the proper dosage of Synthroid, like I said, the Hair loss is slowing down. I am at 4 months out tomorrow.

I heard to massage the scalp daily, gently as to not encourage more hair to fall out. What I do is this: I wash it every 3-4 days. After I wash it, I let it air-dry for about a half hour, then blow dry the rest of the way. After I comb it out, I then use a detangling brush and vigorously brush the scalp area (I have chin-length hair, so it doesn't get tangled from this). The reason I brush it like this are two-fold: getting rid of most of what will fall that day, so it doesn't shed into everything, and to stimulate the scalp. It feels great! A lot may disagree with the brushing part, but hey, I have a lot less of the hair around the house now! I figure it is going to fall out anyway, let's get it out now!

As for WHY it is falling out, this is what my nurse and dietician have said: we are starving (in or body's mind) and it is sending the nutrients to the vital organs first. The top of the head is last! When the body has adjusted to the new dietary situation, it should grow back. And be prepared, it may grow back in a different color and texture. Fine to thick, or reverse. Straight to curly, or reverse. Your normal color to something else. Just part of the ride, folks!

Uggg.. i am 4 1/2 months out and my hair has started shedding the past couple of weeks! My hair is thin to begin with so i'm scared!

Mine started at 3 months out. It is still going at 10 months out. grrrrrr

I am right there with you! It is a little scary to see all the hair falling out everyday. It has been going on about a week or so. Hope it slows down soon.

I lost a lot of hair...I mean a lot of hair. My stylist and I estimate I lost about 30-35% of my hair.

I started losing at month 2 and lost thru month 6. Months 3 and 4 were the worst. I remember crying in the shower as I looked at my hands full of hair. Hair was every where...on my pillow, at my feet in the bathroom after styling, on my desk, etc. It was horrifying some days.

I did what I could control: I made sure I got in my Protein, my doc approved Biotin and Folic Acid (for regrowth), I used and Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner.

My doc said that anything I lost due to surgery would grow back...she was right. My hair has grown back and my stylist actually said she thinks it is fuller than before.

To mask the Hair loss, I went with a shorter cut that I actually like even at 18 months out - I realized my thick, long hair was dragging me down. My new cute short cut fits my spunky new personality. I used a product called Toppik to mask the thinning on my bangs - it works just like the videos show.

I know it sucks and it's scary, but you'll get thru this. Be patient - get creative. In the end, it's all worth it!

Hey everyone I too am losing massive amounts of hair I'll be 6 weeks post op on Tuesday it just started a few days ago piles of hair on pillows and in the bed brushing hair brings out tons too this has never happened to me before so I'm assuming it's the surgery I'm freaking out as I was told it might happen around 3 months or so but this seems so soon