Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's supposed to be called Calcium (no, not calciYUM), but I call it calciYUK because I hate it. I have to take so much of it everyday, and I'm at my wit's end about it. I put the powdered form of calcium citrate in my Protein "cocktail", but when I don't have time for that I have resorted to the bari-melts. Any ideas out there for alternate forms? Any favorite brands? And, how about strengths? I would like to get in as much as possible without taking pounds of the stuff, if you know what I mean......Thanks everyone, in advance!

When you find a good one that doesn't contain sugar you just let me know. I hate that stuff too.

How far out are you? I'm 7 months, and I started taking Caltrate Petites about 2 months ago. Not chewable so you do have to eat chalk, but small enough to agree with my sleeve. I take 2 tabs everyday along with my chewable Multivitamins that have Calcium citrate...Optisource that I get at Walgreens

My plan calls for 1500 mg of calcicum a day. I started out taking the Caltrate Petities (500 mg for 2 pills) but that meant I had to take a total of 6 pills throughout the day. Trying to space them out along with my other viatmins and making sure I gave enough time before taking my Iron supplement was just so time consuming. Based on feedback from others I bought some of the Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate chews in the caramel flavor. There is only 2 g of sugar alcohol per chew and the taste is awesome (the something sweet that I don't get to often). They are definately pricey but so much easier for me.

Spring Valley at Walmart has a sugar free chocolate Calcium chew. 500 mg per piece so I only have to take 3 a day. The flavor is good it is almost like eating a tootsie roll :) They are a little on the hard side to find of the 4 stores within 40 miles of me only one carries them so I stock up when they have them.

Oops had to edit the brand put the wrong name down :)

Edited by Jendroppinglbs

I see that some are taking Calcium carbonate (like in the Caltrate chews). My NUT insists that for bariatric patients, calcium citrate is a must as calcium carbonate won't be absorbed by our little tummies. I take the Bariatric Advantage 500 mg Chewy Bites. I alternate between chocolate and caramel -- just keep them all in a big bag and grab one. Next order I will try other flavors.

@@LisaPunkinHead

Yes, I have been told to use the calcium citrate, as well, especially for the fact that it has far less chance of forming stones, and is better absorbed, as well. I've been using the powdered form in my "cocktails", and it goes down ok, but I have to constantly mix it before a swallow. It just sinks, otherwise. It is tolerable, and cheap, so I will use that as my "home-bound" choice, and then I think I'll try your (and others') suggestion for the chews when I am not at home. Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I am soooooo glad you are here!

I found some calcium citrate at Vitamin Shoppe that I have been taking since October. My Dr. said they were fine to take. Each capsule has 250 mg so I take 2 capsules, 3 times a day. They are super easy to swallow. They usually run about $16.00 for 250 capsules. I hated the chewables prior to taking these.

My nut rod me about liquid Calcium supplement after surgery, I found it at Walmart. It was orange flavor and I actually loved the taste...

Doctor told me to chew Tums or something like it. Threw up almost every time. Broke down and got the Viactiv chocolate chews. So far so good.

Edited by B Autumn

For the first several months after surgery I took liquid Calcium - Wellesse brand. It is mostly calcium citrate with a little calcium phosphate. It tastes a little chalky but no problems getting it down. It's best kept in the fridge. I got mine from Amazon. Since then I've switched to Citracal Petites, but for the first several months after surgery even the "Petites" were too big for me to swallow comfortably.

calcium citrate is required by my bariatric program. I take the citracal petites I bought at Walmart. I have to take 2 tablets 3 times a day and have to be careful to space them out with my multi Vitamin twice a day too. I use an app called Rxmindme to make sure I space my supplements and regular meds out at the appropriate intervals and also so I don't forget to take anything. The app allows you to set reminders for many different things throughout the day. Since I have been using the app I have been so much better about getting all of my Vitamins and regular meds in every day and on time.

Another great tasting calcium citrate chewable is the Bariatric Advantage Calcium citrate chews. I have tried the lemon, raspberry, caramel, and chocolate flavors. The chocolate was the only flavor I didn't love. The lemon and raspberry reming me of extra chewy starburst. The caramel is a rich and creamy caramel flavor. You need to take 2 chews 3 times daily to meet the 1500 mg daily calcium goal. They are a treat to me and really help keep my cravings for chewy candy under control. I LOVE chewy candy and the Bariatric Advantage chews provided me "candy" 3 times a day!

Good luck finding a supplement that works for you and meets your needs.

@@Luvin_Life125

I really need to watch how many pills I take each day, not too friendly with the sleeve! So chewables and powders are ok with me, and liquids as a LAST RESORT, as for some reason, the sleeve isn't fond of that, either! I take so darn many pills for everything else, it's amazing there is even room for food! I wish we could combine all we need into a great cookie or something, something ENJOYABLE to take, that is custom designed for each of our individual needs. Something that is slow to digest, so all is absorbed nicely, with no competing elements...impossible, I know, but it is a pipe-dream of mine....any inventors out there want to give it a go?!!!