Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reversal for gastric sleeve?

I had gastric sleeve Dec 29, 2014. The Protein Shakes make me nauseous now and I have tried every option. (Soy Protein with Lactaid lately). I cannot get enough protein in AND fluids on the same day. I HATE how I feel now. And do NOT say talk to my doctor. He is sarcastic and acts like I'm stupid. I have lost almost 60 lbs and would gladly add it back to feel as healthy as I did before this stupid surgery.

I had a lung partially collapse after surgery which eventually got me a chest tube. My bariatric surgeon blamed me and said that I had pneumonia. (With NO pneumonia symptoms)! I WANT MY STOMACH BACK NOW!!! Last night I began to shake almost like a seizure but I was alert and responsive. I have had to miss yet ANOTHER day of work after missing 3 weeks from the lung issues.

If anyone finds a doctor who does reversals, PLEASE let me know!!! This was my biggest mistake!!!

Im so sorry your having a rough time. Unfortunanly It's not possible to reverse the sleeve. They cut out 80% of the stomach and throw it away. There's nothing to reverse. Have u tried Protein Shots? I also can't stand any Protein Drinks. I also hate the shots but it's better than the drinks. I just hold my breath and drink half, then drink the other half later. My husband suggested I pretend I'm about to drink my favorite drink (pepsi) cause the anticipation is the worst park. It helps

So clearly you're miserable. I also hated my doctor if it makes you feel any better...he was a conceited ass who treated me like I was stupid and I never saw him again after the two week follow-up. How much Protein are you going for? I never came close to getting my Protein goals and I have had less than 5 Protein shakes in the entire year and a half since I had the procedure. Have you tried drinking with a straw? That was the only way I could get enough Fluid in and if you use it with Protein Shakes it may help.

Unfortunately, there is no way to reverse a sleeve procedure, however there are a lot of surgeons who specialize in the procedure and you can switch to a new doctor who is more patient-centered. If your surgery was done correctly, a good doctor can help you work through all of the issues you're facing and get you back on the path to recovery.

Good luck!

Sorry, sweetie, I am afraid you are stuck with your sleeve. So make friends with it. And this may help. Get some unflavored Protein Powder, off the internet if you have to. Have really cold Water, add the appropriate amount of the Protein powder, then add some Water Enhancer drops (found at the grocery store) then mix well. It will be cloudy, but it will taste (in my opinion) thousands of times better than the shakes. Also add the drops to plain water to get in your fluids. Take some time for yourself, get a book about the sleeve, thoroughly read about what just happened to you so you can fully understand. It's time to start facing the reality of what you have done, and accepting it on it's terms. If you follow your program, it will work. Period. This site will be very supportive, but you have to do your part, as well. So, have a firm chat with yourself, and maybe say a prayer for healing, as well as thanksgiving, for this MIRACLE surgery that can give you your life back. All the best to you....

If you cannot tolerate the shakes, don't drink them. Find other ways to get in your Protein. I use an unflavored Protein powder that I mix with pretty much everything. I add it into yogurt (a natural source of protein), I add it into Soups, I add it into coffee & tea, hot or cold. It can also be added to a 50/50 mix of fruit juice/water or stirred into a bit of apple sauce or mashed potatoes. A few brands of unflavored protein powders are Isopure unflavored, unjury and GENEPRO.

One of the key things I did to get in more water/fluids was to add loads of ice to everything.

Instead of traditional Protein Shakes try protein waters like propel. Again you are getting in protein AND Fluid at the same time.

The shaking may be a symptom of dehydration. Please try to get your fluids in at all cost.

I am sorry that it was not explained to you that a large portion of your stomach is cut away. Hopefully the suggestions in this post will help you make the best of it.

Gladys62, so sorry for your negative WLS experience. Just because it started out that way, does not mean it has to STAY that way. It makes me so angry when a physician displays the kind of power over patients such as you described. There are so many wonderful and caring bariatric physicians/surgeons out there though. Is this surgeon part of a medical group of other surgeons? If so, request a reassignment. Or if that is not possible, as another poster suggested, just go find another bariatric physician. Whatever you do, please be safe and do not totally detach from bariatric care because of this poor experience. You need the medical follow-up. Often, the last thing we want to do when we are feeling extremely vulnerable after having just gone through such a life-changing experience is to have to assert ourselves and "fight" for our rights as a patient. But it is sure sounding like that is exactly what you are going to have to do. You must care enough about yourself to not let any medical professional "blame" you (as you said) or intimidate you. Take charge of your own health care because the stark reality is that if YOU don't, who will?

I think you knew there was no "reversing" your procedure--I think they call this "buyer's remorse." Some WLS patients have it, mostly just at first. (Me personally, can't relate--Is it easy? NO. Is it worth it? YES! YES! YES!). Maybe another question to ask yourself is if you have explored ALL methods to increase your Protein intake/find Protein options that work for you so you can stay healthy with your 60-100gm protein/day (or as recommended by your surgeon). There are sooo many ways to "get your protein AND fluids on the same day" even though you don't believe that right now.

With all the changes that we go through at first, it is really hard to be flexible and let go of our old thinking and behaviors. The more you can keep your mind open to new and different possibilities, the easier it will continue to get. Believe me, there are bunches of things I'm doing now that I NEVER in a million years would have thought I would be doing.

You CAN do this!

I am so sorry you are in such a bad place and your surgeon is a jerk. You can't do Protein shakes so let's figure out another way to get your Protein in that doesn't make you gag. These are my suggestions to start with. If you want to try some of these, check out Nashua Nutrition's website to order single serving sizes of any of the protein they sell.

-Have you tried the different flavors of Syntrax nectar? They are more fruit/ koolaid type of protein instead of the milk based drinks.

- what about making a fruit smoothie that doesn't have protein powder in it? Try using Greek yogurt, the Torani sugar free Syrup, frozen fruit, maybe ground flax seed if you like it.

- how about getting your protein entirely from food sources and cut out the protein powder completely? The World According to Eggface blog has a ton of great recipes using real food. It may take a little while of trailing food to see what works for both your taste preferences and your sleeve.

-Quest Protein Bars? I love the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor and it has easily become one of my favorite foods. You can buy single Quest bars in different flavors at GNC to try and see if you like them.

- there is a liquid gel concentrate made by the brand Proti Diet that tastes very much like crystal light or sugar free koolaid and it isn't a powder. I have tried both the pink lemonade and the grape flavors and I really enjoy them. The packets are liquid and mix easily without any clumping or grit.

Please hang in there. Let us help you find a way to establish a truce between you and your sleeve. Unfortunately, the surgery is a permanent change. I hope you feel better about this decision soon. Please try to find a more supportive surgeon who is willing to take over your care. It is an important relationship and needs to be comfortable for you.

Thank you for the support and advice. It's not that I don't like the taste, it either burns or I throw it up. Dr Balder says it's just me and that I'm not trying. I WANT to eat and drink so I feel better! The Zophran my family doctor gave me gets me through the day. I've missed over 3 weeks of work in the past 3 months. This isn't something I'm just "being a baby" about. I am working on a referral to a good local GI doctor to see if he can identify the problem. I know I can't go back and change my mind I would just like no nausea and to be able to hold more than a teaspoon in my "stomach" thing.

I consider this my biggest mistake including two ex-husbands. I felt SOOOOO much better before the surgery. I was obese but basically healthy. I was STUPID!!!

So you are having issues with stomach acid/GERD? That's a different story.

Zophran is designed to address the nausea. Are you taking any sort of PPI for the acid?

You will definitely need to follow up with a GI doctor to find the correct dosage and brand of PPI that can help you control/manage that. Sometimes with luck you out grow it. My doctor had me on omeprazole 20 mg from day 1 post-op. By about 2½ - 3 mths post-op I found that wasn't enough. The dosage was increased to 40mgs a day. Thankfully by month 5 I was able to discontinue the medication completely. Unfortunately some people require higher/stronger doses of PPI. have you tried taking a spoonful of maalox before attempting to drink? It might help coat your stomach a little better. Discuss that with the GI doctor and see what they think. You can also purchase omeprazole over the counter. Most drugs stores sell it as well as the name brand prilosec.

No, I don't think you're being a baby about this, this is serious "*%$@. I agree with a previous poster regarding getting a different doctor for your follow-up appointments. Just keep your chin up as you face this; in time you should see how beneficial the surgery is, and how it will help you avoid things like diabetes and other nasties. We are here for you!

Thank you all for the positive support. I got clearance from my insurance today to use a different doctor for follow up!!! That should put me on the right path.

My family doctor put me on Prilosec (pm) and Protonix (am). It may need to be stronger. I feel like my "tube" is just too small. Or it doesn't empty right. Once a good GI scopes me and answers my questions I will feel so much better!!!

I left a message for my family doctor to call me about setting up an appointment. Good thing is the Clear Liquids the day before scope won't be a problem THIS time. ????

Who did your surgery???

Donald Balder in Slidell, LA and he works in Gulfport, MS. I have gotten clearance from my insurance company so that I don't have to follow up with him if I will follow up with a GI doctor!!!! That has thrilled me!

I try not to talk to him because he is COLD as ice!! And used sarcasm to answer. I'm miserable so dealing with his attitude right now is NOT an option.

I have post-op GERD. Like If I bend over to pick something up or lean forward I vomit acid and bile. And I sleep sitting straight up. I know your pain. Get some good TUMS. I know how hard it is for everyone to roll their eyes and tell me I need to drink my fluids and eat my Protein when I physically CANT! I too, would go back to being heavier if I could. I tried tons of options for fluids. Thankfully my husband was supportive and we went to the store and bought every single sugar free low calorie drink from green tea to sobe to Vitamin zero Water. The only thing I can keep down is the G2 (low cal Gatorade) not in the bottle but in the packet. I sprinkle half the packet into a bottle of water an let it set in fridge for a while. It has literally saved me. Seizures from dehydration are very common. If you have good insurance go get you some IV fluids! I've had to a couple of time in the last few weeks and I feel a million times better...plus I wouldn't have to drink much that day and I'd feel like I was in paradise. If that was a seizure from being dehydrated you could have a stroke! Are you urinating normally?