Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many times per week do you exercise?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many times per week do you exercise?

• Zero times per week
    • Two to three times per week
    • Four times per week
    • Five plus times per week

Have you found that the exercise has tightened up the loose skin, thus eliminating any surgical procedures?

I haven't found an exercise that eliminates all surgical procedures. I know that as I loose weight and exercise my stomach doesn't seem as flabby, so myself will not be getting a tummy tuck...but as I exercise and lose weight I do have a boob issue and I will be having surgery on them one day...just not soon. So in my opinion exercise helps alot but doesn't help everything....just an opinion though.

Glad to hear about the stomach. It seems like so many need tummy tucks. Good for you!

Have you found that the exercise has tightened up the loose skin, thus eliminating any surgical procedures?

Exercise wont "tighten" loose skin -but what I found was this. At about 3/4 of the way to my goal, incidentally right about where statistically many stop losing, I thought I had bat wings and weird side boobs, a lot of flabby skin on my sides under my arms that really bulged over my bra, and I thought inner thigh surgery was in my future too.

Well, getting down to a truly low weight eliminated all of that. I think soooooo many people still have a lot of residualo fat they could lose when they decide to have cosmetic surgery.

That's not to say that they shouldnt do it - or to imply they should simply work harder and lose it. Some fat is much harder to lose than other fat and if you CAN eliminate it in a procedure because its isolated to one area of your body, why they heck wouldnt/shouldnt you? But if you cant afford it, or dont want to have it, then losing more weight and getting to a low BMI will help a lot with that in many cases. If you're ever seen a pannus that is truly only skin, its much much thinner than most people's before photos.

It was the same with my boobs. I got as far as going to see surgeons over that issue, but eventually, as I lost more, they got much smaller and a lot of the sag and cup overflow issues have gone away. It wasnt ALL loose skin afterall. I now have upward facing nipples for the first time in my life and the size discrepancy between the two has been eliminated and although they're still a bit battle scarred, lol, I'm happy enough not to have any surgery.

Exercise helps with ALL of that, and being in great tone under your skin is the best thing you can do for how you look, short of surgery.

Thanks Jachut for sharing all your knowledge of loosing weight and how to control loose skin. You look great, so you are doing something right!

To some degree yes, I think alot of it has to do with age and how much Water you are getting. I have not been told this directly by a doctor but have read it in several places. The younger we are the more elasticity our skin may have.

I have read that taking bathes with elsom salts or something like that can help as well. Keep in mind how long we were overweight and how stretched out the skin got, we can't expect it to snap back like a rubber band (that is why there are stretch marks:wink2:). In time with a healthy diet the skin will retract but perhaps not all the way back.

Thanks Alsobrook71,

It all makes sense. I like the ebsom salts idea. I use that in baths after I work in the yard for hours. Really helps with muscle ache.

Every single day, without fail---usually more than once.

I excercise 3 times a week as i work full time and long hours.

On a Saturday morning i walk into town and get the paper which takes a little over an house. Then i meet up with the family and play tennis of a couple of hours.

I like Tennis as it doesnt feel like i am excercising much, as i miss the ball a lot i have to run a lot to get it hahahaa.

Then on a Sun, tue and Thursday night i do excercises from the Wii fit plus for about an hour.

Good luck and i hope that this may help a little:tt2:

Chickie- I read your post, and it made me mad. I wanted to tell you how rude, and insensitive you are. I decided to read the the other post, before I gave you a piece of my mind. I mean how dare you put us down. Any exercise is good, at least we are moving, bla blah blah! I realized I was offended because it was very true. Every word you said. I have decide to print your post, hang it on my frige and read it daily. You have motivated me, not offended me. Sometimes we need to hear what we need to hear and not just what we want!

Thanks

Hi Everyone!:tt2:

Updating - still on my journey. I am active 7 days a week - mostly because I have a dog who needs to be walked 3x per day, and at least two of those are my responsibility. We go at least a mile each time.

I lift weights 3x per week - basic movements like dumbbell bench presses, squats, db rows, etc. The amount of weight I can handle has increased, which I'm happy about. I also run 3x per week - now doing the Couch to 8K program. My goal is to run a 10k this year.

On the subject of excess skin...I too thought I was ready for surgery, even had the first consult, but I'm going to wait. My body continues to reshape and change, so my workouts are having a beneficial effect. I went from a 38K bra to a 36DD (occasionally DDD if I can find them) and while the 'volume' has decreased, my workouts have somewhat limited the 'sag' factor by building the muscle underneath.

I've lost a total of 6 sizes, from a 24 to a 12 during my journey. The workouts have had a great effect on my waist measurement. I have found that my workouts are my saving grace - I love working out and have become addicted to running...if I don't get my run in, I feel crappy.

Good luck to all those in the process - keep checking in and following doc's orders. Pick a healthy habit (walking, running, elliptical) and just keep doing it. :thumbup:

I am in the gym EVERY day! I was really enjoying it< loving the kick butt classes- kickboxing, strength training, interval training, cardio, and boot camp. Occasionally I jumped into a spin class but that wasnt my thing. Now my stupid gym cut ALL the classes and I am left to do the machines on my own> I hate it!! I am really having to push myself to go everyday and I am not getting the same results. I need a new gym!! Getting so frustrated

I haven't had the noteworthy success yet that many of you here have found, but I definitely believe that exercise has to be a big part of the equation. I'm guessing that I'll have to get a Tummy Tuck somewhere down the road but clearly I can't lift every inch of my body. With the recent weight loss I feel a little flabby all over, and unless I want to stay in my customary long sleeved shirts all the time, I know I have to pump some serious Iron. I can't run because of a bad ortho history so I spin. Too bad for me because running is always accessible and free! I'm in the gym five times a week and it's easy for me to go. I've always been a gym person. It's the food that has always killed me, so this band is definitely working for me. Sorry for the free association here. I forget what the question was!

Morning All!:eek:

Update on my progress: I'm holding steady, weight wise - sometimes I bounce up a few pounds but they go away again, so I'm not too unhappy.

The exercise / walking / jogging / running is definately making changes in my physique. My legs are shaping up really well - I was even asked if I was a runner a few weeks ago - talk about an ego boost!

I am still strength training at least 3 days a week, walking every day, and now running 3 - 4 days a week. It sounds like a lot, but by working it into my daily routine, it doesn't feel like a lot any more.

I will definately need plastic surgery on my midsection - the excess skin just hasn't gone away. That will have to wait, unfortunately, until I have the funds. Until then, I'll just keep working at it! :)

Does any one have an idea how soon after surgery can you start exercising? I am interested in running and taking exercise classes? I am getting a little anxious to start working out again. Just curious if anyone knows. Thank you.

Does any one have an idea how soon after surgery can you start exercising? I am interested in running and taking exercise classes? I am getting a little anxious to start working out again. Just curious if anyone knows. Thank you.

You will see your doctor for your post surgery exam, then you will be able to just walk till further notice. That's how my doctor does things. I was just rebanded and so I know what you're feeling because I was so into running and that's all I want to do right now. I started walking right after I came home from the hospital, just a little bit at a time...if it makes you say ouch don't do it...that's always my rule in the beginning. Exercise classes...I know I was told the first time I was banded NO classes or lifting for 6 weeks.