Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many times per week do you exercise?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many times per week do you exercise?

• Zero times per week
    • Two to three times per week
    • Four times per week
    • Five plus times per week

Hi all,

have you all thought about those of us who have not or could not excerise due to our obestiy and health issues. those of us who knees,feet and legs can't handle the excerise that most of you do. I know it will get better once the weight starts to come off; but how much and how long before you can run 10k or bike 20miles w/o incident. So what besides walking and some lite areobics do us beginners do? we too need support.

Good luck to all that are doing well with their excerise program

Kim

I am also just starting my lap band journey (banded 1/27). I have rods and screws in my back, bad knees and bursitis in my left leg. I started Water aerobics before surgery and was able to continue one week after surgery (my doctor cleared me). I take 3 classes a week. I also ride a recumbent bike 20 mins. along with circuit training 3 days a week. I am getting much stronger already and believe I'll be able to increase my bike 5 mins. per day per week starting this week. I have lost 35 pounds since started the pre-surgery diet. Water aerobics is great for those of us just starting out and/or those with existing injuries. I'm also 57 so if I can do it, anyone can.

I am also just starting my lap band journey (banded 1/27). I have rods and screws in my back, bad knees and bursitis in my left leg. I started Water aerobics before surgery and was able to continue one week after surgery (my doctor cleared me). I take 3 classes a week. I also ride a recumbent bike 20 mins. along with circuit training 3 days a week. I am getting much stronger already and believe I'll be able to increase my bike 5 mins. per day per week starting this week. I have lost 35 pounds since started the pre-surgery diet. Water aerobics is great for those of us just starting out and/or those with existing injuries. I'm also 57 so if I can do it, anyone can.

I feel the need to add that water aerobics is NOT a cake walk workout. I have had my ass handed to me in water aerobics.

I had the same issues every other morbidly obese adult had with knee and foot and a host of other aches and pains. I started on the elliptical, barely moving, it seemed. Now I run, do tae bo, lift free weights, do spin class....and I PUSH myself. Hard. Every.single.workout. What used to be 'pushing myself hard' in the beginning barely registers now but at the time it was hard and each workout I got stronger and all thoses obsticles that were there went away. Part of it was my physical condition improved making my body more efficient and part of it was the phsychological roadblocks I put up for myself. I HATED working out, omg, I had convinced myself for years how much it sucked. Now, it it the one thing I do 6 days out of the week, no exceptions. I would rather my house be messy, laundry be piled up, and the fridge be out of milk than miss going to the gym. My point is, it does not matter what you can do, it is the effort you put into what you are capable of doing and the drive you have to push yourself that matters.

Amen sister!

I have gone from one extreme to the other and back. As soon as I was able after banding, I was in the pool every night. The weight was falling off. I slacked and the weight loss slowed almost to the point of gaining. I have however found exercise again, and swim at least 4 times a week and try to get a min of 2500 yards. I also ride a bike and now that the weather is getting warm I will be back on the bike. Last year I logged 1550 miles. My goal this year is 3500. I have been walking and am starting to increase the pace to a moderate jog. Bottom line is to loose the weight EVEN with the BAND you must exercise.

Help, I got my band in Sept 09 and almost to my goal, about 20 lbs away, have lost 40. I am 53 and started to work out three weeks ago, since then I noticed that my hunger has increased ten times. I have had two fills one in 10/09 and 11/09, does this mean I need another fill? The hunger pains are so bad, just I had before my surgery. Funnyface.

I think whenever you feel hungry (other than normal hunger), it means you need another fill.

I workout Daily no matter what.

I feel the need to add that Water aerobics is NOT a cake walk workout. I have had my ass handed to me in water aerobics.

No, it's not a cake workout, but it IS easier on joints, knees, backs, ankles than dance aerobics, jogging or speed walking. So, I recommend it to anyone who is out of shape or who may need to take it easy on their joints, etc. I guess what I was trying to say originally is that if there's nothing else you can do because you're out of shape or you have joint or knee problems, to try water aerobics. It's a good workout without adding stress to your body.

well I will be totally honest and say i barely exercise.I work 2 jobs and I dont try to find the time, BUT all that is changing come this week-end, I will no longer be at my 2nd job, so my evenings will be free for exercise! i cant wait i have lost quite a bit,but i know i could have lost much more if i worked out

well I will be totally honest and say i barely exercise.I work 2 jobs and I dont try to find the time, BUT all that is changing come this week-end, I will no longer be at my 2nd job, so my evenings will be free for exercise! i cant wait i have lost quite a bit,but i know i could have lost much more if i worked out

FrenchVanilla (love your name, by the way!) - good for you for starting to work out! I understand the tough schedule - I have a 1 1/2-hour total commute by car/train to my job (that's each way) so workout time is limited for me as well.

I work it in by walking to and from the train station - it's a little over a mile. I used to walk 1.6 miles at lunch, but we've switched to summer hours, so I have only 30 minutes for lunch instead of an hour. Since I'm getting out of work a little earlier, I will add a walk in the evening when I get home - there's still a little daylight when I get home.

Incorporating exercise into your daily routine is critical - if you have to go too far out of your way in the beginning, it will be harder to stick with it. Since I have to go to the train station anyway, I decided to walk instead of taking the shuttle bus. I do little things throughout the day - take the stairs instead of the elevator, volunteer to run things across campus, etc. I've added weight training back into my workout because my weight loss is starting to really show and I want to work my muscles to get them ready to be 'shown' as the fat loss continues. I'm losing at a pretty good rate right now, and that's entirely due to the band and exercise in combination.

I am certain I would not be losing as much as I have without exercise. I'm still on my 5 - 6 days per week schedule - though because I've been walking the dog so much (every day, rain or shine) I really don't count it because I figure my body is used to it now.

I do try to push myself - a little faster, a little farther, carry a small hand weight, etc to make the walks different. Planning out different routes also helps.

Prevention magazine (prevention.com) has a feature called "My Walking Maps" that you can use to map out routes in your area based on address and they give you an accurate distance measurement. That's also helpful if you are trying to advance your distance.

Hope everyone has a wonderful summer! :thumbup:

I think you have inspired me. I was so good about walking and bike riding for the first year. Believe it or not I have been banded over two years and still drop some pounds here and there. I have struggled to be consistent with my exercise but definately feel better and lose more inches when I am exercising. I needed to see these post to get back into the swing of it. Thanks for the sound advice everyone!

hi! wanna first introduce myself im helty girl. But i'm not doing any exercise by myself because i had no time because im working and i wake up late alwys. Thanks for the post it inspires me. Thanks!Please see my site.

hi! wanna first introduce myself im helty girl. But i'm not doing any exercise by myself because i had no time because im working and i wake up late alwys. Thanks for the post it inspires me. Thanks!Please see my site.

We all have time to exercise. Don't wake up late, wake up early. If you have time to post you have time to exercise. Even 20 minutes a day twice daily is beneficial.

exercise has just become a part of my life. No matter what else is going on, I go to the gym first, everything else has to wait

exercise has just become a part of my life. No matter what else is going on, I go to the gym first, everything else has to wait

Now that is a short and sweet and EXCELLENT statement! I'm gonna remember that one every day. I get so busy with work and everything else I just have a hard time feeling that I don't have time to go --- but you're right (!!) everything else CAN wait!