Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am struggling really bad. I had my surgery February 23rd and lost 30 pounds almost immediately. Now it's gotten harder because my body feels normal again and I feel as if I can eat what the rest of my family eats. My family needs to be dieting and exercising but they are not. I'm underage and still live at home with my parents so it's only natural for me to not buy groceries and I'm sorry but I don't know how to cook foods for myself. My parents keep saying they will start a diet so I think things will get better but they never do. And now they won't listen to me when I try to tell them that they are hindering me. I asked my parents to listen to me and they said that what I say doesn't matter. And that Its everyone else's fault but my own. I don't know how to get them to understand what I'm going through and how to get them to help me.

Focus on yourself. Make sure you meet your daily Protein, fluids and Vitamin requirements. Limit your meal volume as instructed.

I concentrated on using homemade high Protein chili and Soups. I would make up a batch, place it in containers and eat it all week. It was easy to control volume because I measured each meal using measuring cups. I have included some recipes here. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I am struggling really bad. I had my surgery February 23rd and lost 30 pounds almost immediately. Now it's gotten harder because my body feels normal again and I feel as if I can eat what the rest of my family eats. My family needs to be dieting and exercising but they are not. I'm underage and still live at home with my parents so it's only natural for me to not buy groceries and I'm sorry but I don't know how to cook foods for myself. My parents keep saying they will start a diet so I think things will get better but they never do. And now they won't listen to me when I try to tell them that they are hindering me. I asked my parents to listen to me and they said that what I say doesn't matter. And that Its everyone else's fault but my own. I don't know how to get them to understand what I'm going through and how to get them to help me.

Hi! I am much older than you (50), but when I started my journey I was about the same size (5’2” and 330 pounds). I had RNY surgery on 6/25/13. I have lost 210 pounds and feel fantastic. My BMI is in the ‘normal’ range for the first time in my life and I am wearing a size 4 petite jeans! I pray that you will be able achieve the same. You have a lot more life to live and living it in a body that is morbidly obese is no fun!

The truth of the matter is, it really is up to you to make the changes that will lead to success. It is really too bad that your parents will not support you in the way that you need them to, but they can’t do it for you – it has to come from in you. You said you are underage – but not how young. My guess is that your parents still buy the groceries for the household. This is a great opportunity for you to offer to help your family. Ask you parents if you can put a meal plan together for the week and then offer to make a grocery list based on what you need. Teach yourself how to cook meals that you CAN eat. Experiment in the kitchen. There are great resources to show you how to do anything from chopping an onion to zesting a lemon. You don’t need to spend any money on anything but the food. I would bet you have everything else you need right in your kitchen. Cooking from scratch in addictive! Once you start, you are going to want to do more of it. My best friend began cooking for her family when she was in middle school – you are NOT too young. Try new foods and research recipes to find ones high in Protein, low in sugar, fat and calories. I would bet that you parents will appreciate coming home to a wonderful home cooked meal! And if they don’t have to cook when they get home, maybe they will have time to exercise with you.

Exercise is key to long term weight management. As the weight comes off, begin making more active choices in your activities. Go for a bike ride, take a walk, start jogging. Find something YOU like. Get together with some friends and dance to your favorite music. Exercise does not have to be the same everyday. Make it fun! And bring in your friends (or make new friends that already do this). My son is a senior in high school – he and his friends love to play football (outside – not the video game! LOL). Find some friends that are doing something that you think you would like to do. When you are in school there are often so many activities that you can participate in. Sign up! Expand your world. You have so much life in front of you!

I wish you all the success. From somebody who has struggled with her weight my entire life, I really understand the place you are at. Find your own strength and you will find your success. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Carol

Learn how to cook. I'm not talking anything fancy, but learn to make a few basic meals that meet your nutrition goals. Then you have the choice to ask your parent to buy one or two things for you or use you allowance and purchase them yourself.

The only thing you have control over is you and what you put in your mouth. Your parents have shown they are not ready yet. The fact is they may net ever be ready to diet and exercise.

So it's time to put on your big girl panties and do this for yourself. Call your nutritionist and speak with her about portion sizes and the challenges you are facing. Then brainstorm about how you can work around them.