Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation ugh!

Please help me! I can't get any answers from the bariatric support as to how to help me with this awful Constipation. I am 10 weeks 4 days post op. I had my gall bladder out 5 weeks post op due to awful chest pain. I thought maybe that was causing some of the problems with constipation. NOPE! I take 2 stool softeners a day. I drink 60 ozs of Water everyday. I am exercising, (well not like some of you) but walking 2 miles 3 times a week. I cannot get any relief from constipation unless I take milk of magnesia! This is not normal. I do not want to be addicted to laxatives. I just don't know what to do! I do not even pass gas now. I was very gaseous before this surgery. I did not have constipation problems either. It is like my intestines are asleep and I can't wake them up. I'm concerned. I need help. Sometimes I wish I could go back to January 8th and rethink this whole surgery thing!!!

I suffer from Constipation occasionally, and when I say suffer, I mean exactly that. Giving birth was easier! Lol. I struggle to get my Water amounts in daily and really have focused on that. I also started taking Benefiber (Walmart version). I put two teaspoons in whatever liquid I'm drinking three times per day. This has helped me. It's not that I don't have the urge, it's just difficult to go. I hope this helps and you find some relief! ????

I had quite a bit of Constipation for the first 4-5 months because I was simply not eating very much other than Proteins.

Straight up psyllium husk Fiber (no sugar/unflavored) works wonders. 3 teaspoons per day works wonders for most people. I actually gulp 1 tablespoon three times per day with Water, but not everyone can stomach that. Metamucil has quite a bit of sugar, unless you opt for the sugar free, which is orange flavored.

You can also try Benefiber or any of the generic forms of powdered clear Fiber, which you can add to any drink or food.

As long as you're taking enough plenty of liquids, which you appear to be, fiber is your buddy.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I had my surgery 12/30 and I also struggled with Constipation too. I start my morning with a teaspoon of the CVS brand Benefiber in my coffee or Water . It usually gets things moving along if it doesn't and things got real bad I would take a dulcolax. I hope this helps .

Drink the "smooth move" tea!!! It works like a charm, you should be able to find it at Walmart. Just drink a glass before you go to bed :)

What is Smooth Move tea? Where in the store is this tea?

Smooth Move Tea is available through Amazon. It's made by Traditional Medicinals, which is one of the most trustworthy makers of tea. Don't make it too strong, though. Start with weak or mild tea and see how that affects you before making it any stronger. I think it's always good to use something natural before resorting to a lot of stronger products. BTW, I've had this problem, too, and it's not fun!

Milk of magnesia is a my little Constipation saver!! Since my surgery I've had to do, what I call a cleansing about 2 1/2 weeks. I tend r get a upper right pain as a reminder it's time to drink milk of magnesia.

It was recommended shortly after my surgery when my bowel movement didn't come regularly within 5 days out.

Ensure to plan to be home after drinking or near restroom within 1 to 2 hours after drinking. For some sooner. When it hits you, it's hits.

After I drink it I follow it by drinking as much Water as possible to somewhat finish my cleansing sooner so I can leave my house.

Caution: if you feel urge to release gas, be very careful as it may be part of cleaning and not gas.

Sorry TMI but like I said it my miracle little must have in stock all the time.

Walgreen brand cherry flavor is my favorite and many times buy one, get one free or 50% off.

Good luck, hope this helps and feel better.

PS

Oh always keep peppermint handy as well. Helps release gas and tummy aches.

Constipation is evil today i'm 5 weeeks since my VSG surgery and just a few days ago found reliefe through adding ground flaxseed meal and drinking light prune juice about 4 oz not less calories but less sugar that way and now the pipes are finally moving proper but if i dont drown my self in daily Water i feel it creep back so any one have better less calorie way to do the same thing i'm up for it i hope i could offer help to someone else who suffers from constipation because i don't want to live on laxitives or stool softners the rest of my life either.

I,too, can have trouble with the plumbing moving. If I drink Smooth Move tea at night, I often have relief. If not I move on to miralax... This seems to be the key for me????

Good luck.. It is vexing!

Smooth Move Tea is available through Amazon. It's made by Traditional Medicinals, which is one of the most trustworthy makers of tea. Don't make it too strong, though. Start with weak or mild tea and see how that affects you before making it any stronger. I think it's always good to use something natural before resorting to a lot of stronger products. BTW, I've had this problem, too, and it's not fun!

Yogi brand tea also makes a variety similar to smooth move called Detox Tea. Whole Foods sell it in the aisle with their herbal teas.

I'm vegetarian and if I eat too many Beans I get really loose stools. Beans are also high in Protein, especially black beans, lentil and peas. Some people are hesitant to eat beans because of the carbs, however they haven't effected my weight loss at all. Adding a capfull of Braggs organic apple cider vinegar is also a natural way to stay regular.