Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update---this journey of mine.....not sure I want to finish it. I started with a weight loss clinic January 2014. Had to jump through so many hoops for my insurance to ok everything. I quit smoking cigarettes. I quit caffeine. I quit Decaf coffee thinking it would help my GERD (didn't help very much). I woke up during my EDG and thought they were going to let me choke to death.

I have a surgery date now-March 24. From the beginning I wanted the sleeve surgery-not the RNY. Because I have GERD the doctor said I should have the RNY. The sleeve will make my heartburn much worse. I also have esophagitis, gastritis and Barrett's esophagus. And because I got an infection after my hysterectomy in 2001 and got peritonitis, he said I probably have lots of adhesions and that meant he would have to do an OPEN RNY on me...a very looong incision. More complicated surgery, longer healing time, more pain, etc. He scheduled a manometry test and the soonest I could get in is the day before my surgery but they will have the results fast because of my surgery the next day. That will tell him how strong my esophageal sphincter is...if it's strong I can have the sleeve and if it isn't he will do the open RNY. So I don't even know which surgery I will even be having yet. The sleep test I had to go through in order to have this surgery found that I have sleep apnea. The stupid mask is making my face break out really bad. They are ordering liners for me so the mask doesn't touch my face. And I still only sleep 4 hours per night. Started my liquid diet and I am starving, I don't feel great and I am miserable. Don't you think it would be stupid of me to go through with this surgery? Why so many obstacles I wonder?

Just venting I guess.

Oh my that's a tough situation. I would trust the medical experts and from what I've learned your weight loss can be very good with either sleeve or bypass. I personally am not sure which I'll choose but I have time to decide. I think this may be your worst phase and there's better health for you post op. It should fix your apnea at least ????. Good luck!

Update---this journey of mine.....not sure I want to finish it. I started with a weight loss clinic January 2014. Had to jump through so many hoops for my insurance to ok everything. I quit smoking cigarettes. I quit caffeine. I quit Decaf coffee thinking it would help my GERD (didn't help very much). I woke up during my EDG and thought they were going to let me choke to death.

I have a surgery date now-March 24. From the beginning I wanted the sleeve surgery-not the RNY. Because I have GERD the doctor said I should have the RNY. The sleeve will make my heartburn much worse. I also have esophagitis, gastritis and Barrett's esophagus. And because I got an infection after my hysterectomy in 2001 and got peritonitis, he said I probably have lots of adhesions and that meant he would have to do an OPEN RNY on me...a very looong incision. More complicated surgery, longer healing time, more pain, etc. He scheduled a manometry test and the soonest I could get in is the day before my surgery but they will have the results fast because of my surgery the next day. That will tell him how strong my esophageal sphincter is...if it's strong I can have the sleeve and if it isn't he will do the open RNY. So I don't even know which surgery I will even be having yet. The sleep test I had to go through in order to have this surgery found that I have sleep apnea. The stupid mask is making my face break out really bad. They are ordering liners for me so the mask doesn't touch my face. And I still only sleep 4 hours per night. Started my liquid diet and I am starving, I don't feel great and I am miserable. Don't you think it would be stupid of me to go through with this surgery? Why so many obstacles I wonder?

Just venting I guess.

If I were you I would go with the gastric by-pass. It often eliminates GERD and Barrett's esophagus is nothing to fool around with. I know that only a very small percentage who have it go on to develop esophageal cancer - but if you're one of them what does that statistic matter? That is what happened to my husband, he had Barrett's esophagus and got yearly endoscopies and biopsies. One year - no dysplasia, the next - cancer and two years later he died, despite catching it early. You need to google "gastric sleeve and esophageal cancer" and look at the risks. Esophageal cancer is one of the fastest rising cancers and very difficult to treat. This is not meant to scare you but it is well known that the sleeve can worsen GERD. I wouldn't take that risk despite what the manometry test shows.

I think the gastric by-pass is a much safer option based on your current medical conditions.

But you are the one who needs to make the decision along with your doctors, but I would ask them the tough questions about treating your Barrett's now (they have methods for removing it) and what can happen to it if your GERD worsens?

the dr's are looking out for you! I went through the second guessing myself clear up to the end of the 4th wk PO!!! yes I did!! But I wouldn't trade it for nothing now!! it works! my GERD started improving after the 4th month. I took nexium until. now I'm off..I pop a rolaids when I need something now which isnt often. I hope you get feeling better..Iv had over a dozen surgerys over the yrs major surgerys. this was the best! ou'll thank yourself months from now. but its your decision..do what you need to do for you..:) keep us posted!

I was pro sleeve. I had the sleeve. My gurd is better but not gone. My friend had bypass and she's doing great. It used to freak me out the bypass process but now it seems the same. I wouldn't be as concerned and if the outcome is no gurd that's better. I had sleep apnea and refused to where the mask. I chose surgery instead. It seemed like the first thing I lost was the neck weight. I was sleeping better soon after. I know not everyone can quit the machine right away. I wouldn't give up after coming so far.

I just want you to know that this WILL be a difficult road, no matter which surgery is done. BUTTTTTTTTTTT. Imagine the life that you've wanted, the life you deserve. The life you SHOULD have! Difficulties strengthen our character, and I believe, to prepare us or enable us to help others who may be going through the same difficulties, down the road. I didn't even know 2 months before the surgery that there was even a possibility of me being slender let alone HEALTHY again. But here I am, talking with all of you about our common goals. I'm on my way, I hope you are right there with me......