Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Parting With My "Love" for Food

Great post, @@alwaysvegas!!! I totally agree with what you said about appreciating the Portion Control "stop" that the sleeve affords us, and how it's possible to be satisfied with just a few ounces of food vs. our previous serving sizes. One thing I've learned, and was warned about by another sleever, is to be very careful not to let old habits come back into our lives. That part can be a struggle at times. As a co-worker told me about a year ago as I was researching and considering the sleeve (she was sleeved about 3 years ago), having the "hard stop" of the smaller stomach is very helpful in detering eating large portions.

May we all succeed in our individual journeys! :)

What took some time for my head to get used to was the feeling of being physically full on just a few ounces. At first, I felt some disappointment that I could eat so little, but then I truly began to enjoy the small portions of food much more than I ever enjoyed larger portions.

It's impossible to explain the feeling, but getting full on one rib is just as rewarding mentally as getting full on a rack of ribs. Eating slower, chewing, and enjoying the taste is a huge part of the enjoyment. My head hunger sometimes tells me more, more, more...but when I close my eyes and feel that my sleeve is full...it's a great feeling! And without the guilt!

So far I've had no problems with any food I've tried. I avoid junk food for the most part, including most carbs. But I've had a piece of fried chicken, a slice of cake, some chips, and so on. I needed to learn moderation before surgery and that hasn't changed, but the sleeve sure helps with portion control.

However, it's also relatively easy to eat a meal (4-5oz) every 45 minutes or so. So if I chose to eat every 45 minutes, I could. I knew that going into surgery also. And there are people who fall back into their head hunger and eat the slider foods as often as possible. Weight comes back on.

It was about making choices before the sleeve and it's still about making choices after the sleeve.

I considered a food funeral, but decided it was silly and self-defeating because I'd be ruining a healthy lifestyle I'd already started. I also knew I'd likely have all foods at my disposal post-op and I'd learn to enjoy them in moderation. No funeral required. But to each their own.

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

There will not be a food Rapture while you are in surgery.

Delicious food will still exist when you are wheeled out of the operating room. When you get farther along you can work small portions of your favorites in.

Omg I felt the same way! I couldn't even completely stick to my 2 week liquid diet because my love for food was so strong... I just had my surgery the day before yesterday and the day before surgery I was upset with myself for not eating at favorite restaurant.. Yes it was that bad I had to see my therapist. But I'm 2 days post op and as of now I don't have any cravings or desire to eat.. Hopefully when I get home it stays that way

I understand completely. :mellow:

Well I met with my nutritionist yesterday and it went great. What I loved about her was that she was very sensitive and understanding to what I am going through and what I have been through – finally! Someone that understands!

I sat with her for about an hour and she ask me many questions on why did I decided to do the surgery now and many questions on what types of diets I have been on in the past and how long ago. She shared with me that her brother just recently went through gastric bypass, so she understands on a personal level and has consulted with many bariatric patients before and after surgery. I did share with her that I am going through some emotions concerning my relationship with food. Funny thing – she ask me – what is your favorite type of food? Well I said, “I have a lot of them” thinking of this a bit, I realized that my love for food could be related to how I am feeling at the time and totally random, so one week it could be pizza, the next can be chinese or chicken quesadillas. What seems to be going through my mind the most is - how will I ever part from all of the foods that I love? Every time I put something in my mouth – I say to myself “After surgery, you won’t be having this anymore” or “You won’t be able to drink your XL coffee from Dunkin Donuts anymore with loads of sugar” I am really having a hard time parting from the thought of separating from all of the foods that I love.

While I do understand that this will be a big transition, that it will take time, It is for the benefit of a new healthier me, I am only thinking of the now….does anyone understand?

This does not change my mind at all about the surgery – having the surgery is set in stone for me, but the thought of parting from my love for food has me feeling like I am attending a funeral every day. :(