Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Researching the VSG...Needing reviews

I am a Mother of 3 beautiful kids...There are my main reason for wanting to lose the weight & keep it off for good. Back in 2012 going into 2013, I lost 41 lbs from calorie counting and now have gained it all back besides 11 lbs. I am so sick of the weight loss/gain roller coaster!! I have high blood pressure and recently diagnosed in 2014 with a fatty liver. I am only 4ft 10 and over 210 lbs. I know that I am definitely a candidate for VSG but terrified to have the surgery. What scares me? Will I be sick a lot afterwards?-throw up sick...Will I only lose in the beginning and then the weight stop? Will I have a lot of lose saggy skin? Will I have Hair loss? Will I look older? Just a lot of things that I have seen others who have had weight loss surgery go through. I am only interested in the VSG. The lap band scares me because I don't want a foreign object in my body and I know several who have had it and it failed. I don't want the Gastric Bypass because I don't want my intestines re-routed and I am not a fun of a few friends having to consistently going through the dumping all the time. I actually scheduled and had my flight book years back for the VSG and got scared and backed out a few days before the surgery. I am miserable right now. I feel yucky and I just feel really depressed because of my weight. I have gotten where I don't want to eat in front of anyone or be around anyone anymore. I have also heard that insurance normally only covers Gastric Bypass and Lap band in most cases....If so, I am going to have to find another alternative because I surely can't afford the VSG. Any information on anything I mentioned would help. I am only in the research stage right now. If I do decide to have surgery, it wouldn't be until probably mid 2016'

Insurance only covering bypass and the band may be old information. Check with yours to be sure. I'm with ya on, the VSG route, and the reasons for it over the band or R\Y (but I'm biased as a VSG success story). One note, they say sleeves don't dump, but occasionally if I WAY over do it on sugar, mine will. Not fun and a good reason to avoid a sugar binge for me. A cookie or 2 in moderation is not a problem though! Keep doing your research. Attend a face to face support group if you can and get to know folks living with the surgery. For me, it gave me my life back! Absolutely no regrets!

A consult with a surgeon or even just an information session might address some of your concerns. I'll try to answer the questions I can.

Will I be sick a lot afterwards?-throw up sick...

There's no way to know in advance. I haven't thrown up once since my surgery 6 months ago. But some people have serious problems with nausea and vomiting. A woman who had her surgery the same day as me with the same surgeon was throwing up for MONTHS after surgery. So there is a real possibility, though I think it is fairly uncommon. I definitely had some moments of serious discomfort. It's a challenge to learn how your new stomach works and how much food you can safely eat without reaching the point of discomfort. It's a process and it gets easier over time. I am now over 6 months out and rarely have issues.

Will I only lose in the beginning and then the weight stop?

That's entirely up to you. If you stick to the plan (Protein first, getting all your Water, exercising, eating the right foods) then you will continue to lose. I have been a slow, but consistent loser.

Will I have a lot of lose saggy skin?

Maybe? Saggy or loose skin seems to depend a lot on age and genetics. There are a few things you can do to try to lessen the problem. Make sure you stay well hydrated. Moisturize daily. Do strength training to "fill in" loose areas with muscle where the fat used to be. And supplement with Vitamin C and Beef Gelatin. But in the grand scheme of things, what is a little loose skin compared to your health?

Will I have hair loss?

Probably. Most people lose at least some hair. Some people lose a LOT of hair. I started losing my hair about 3.5 months post-op, but it never got so bad that anyone besides me would notice. The Hair loss slowed around 5 months post-op and now, at a little over 6 months post-op, I have lots of new hair growing back in. Again, this is a pretty trivial mater when the alternative is staying fat and risking your long-term health.

Will I look older?

I've seen this go either way. Some people actually look a lot younger post weight-loss. I think it's due to just taking more care in their overall appearance with their make-up and hair and what style clothing they wear. If you end up with a lot of sagging skin in your face and neck or a very thin face, it might make you look older.

@@lovinlora78 - You need to check with your insurance company to see what they will cover. Issues such as being sick afterwards and the like vary from person to person. I had none, some people have a rough few days post op, some a month. Others still are back to normal until 3 mths post-op.

My advice is to locate a seminar in your area and attend. The staff there will be better qualified to answer your questions. Additionally once you check your insurance, I would suggest speaking with at least 2 different programs/surgeons.

So far I don't have any saggy skin, but there are more jiggly bits than there used to be. I'll wait until I am closer to goal before I worry about that.

I have dredlocs. Recently I have noticed a little thinning around my temples, but so far no dramatic hair loss.

I also have really good skin and again, so far I don't look older or more wrinkled.

Just remember this is a tool, not a magic wand. It will help jumpstart your weight loss. You will have to put in the work of changing eating habits and exercising. These are the only things that will make this a lifelong success.

I too am growing locs. I am only 2 months in so by the time I have surgery they will be more mature. Just getting a lot of info for now and closer to my final decision I will definitely attend a seminar.

@@lovinlora78 - You need to check with your insurance company to see what they will cover. Issues such as being sick afterwards and the like vary from person to person. I had none, some people have a rough few days post op, some a month. Others still are back to normal until 3 mths post-op.

My advice is to locate a seminar in your area and attend. The staff there will be better qualified to answer your questions. Additionally once you check your insurance, I would suggest speaking with at least 2 different programs/surgeons.

So far I don't have any saggy skin, but there are more jiggly bits than there used to be. I'll wait until I am closer to goal before I worry about that.

I have dredlocs. Recently I have noticed a little thinning around my temples, but so far no dramatic hair loss.

I also have really good skin and again, so far I don't look older or more wrinkled.

Just remember this is a tool, not a magic wand. It will help jumpstart your weight loss. You will have to put in the work of changing eating habits and exercising. These are the only things that will make this a lifelong success.