Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for mild OTC appetite supressant

I'm about 16 months out and have lost almost all my excess weight, but I'd still like to lose a bit more. The problem is, my eating disorder (binge eating) sometimes gets very, very loud in my head and its hard to ignore it. I've been on phentermine before and it helped wonders, but my doctor won't give it to me anymore because she thinks that now that my weight is gone, eating shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas for an OTC appetite suppressant? Not looking for something for daily use, just once in awhile when my head gets too loud. I did ask my therapist but she couldn't recommend anything specific.

I would look for something natural. Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders, but I would get that approved by a physician first. I'm not sure if the acidity would harm a sleeved stomach.

Personally, I would be weary of over the counter appetite suppressants. There are new prescription medications out now for binge eating disorder. I find Wellbutrin to help with binge eating as well.

If you have a history of eating disorders, wouldn't it be better to take a prescribed medication under the guidance of a physician? Then again, maybe you don't need anything if you feel like you only need it every once in awhile. It's similar to someone who has taken Methadone or Suboxone for an opiet painkiller addiction. After a few years of maintenance, you have to eventually get off the maintenance and do it on your own. That doesn't mean you should start substituting other substances or OTC meds every time you have an opiet craving.

There are strategies and you have to utilize them for them to work. If you find the need to binge, you have to divert your attention elsewhere. You can take a walk, find a hobby, call a friend or counselor, etc. I'm sure you know this and it is easier said than done. You must be very strong willedto lose such a large amount of weight. I admire your success and hope you can use some of that strength to help overcome any future binge urges.

@@LumpySpacePrincess - Your therapist is okay with you taking an appetite suppressant? I would explain to them that your are still having these issues with your condition even though the surgery has helped you lose weight. I am just concerned that using appetite suppressants with an ED might be a slippery slop for you.

No, she has no problem with it. She knows i'm not taking it to stop eating completely, just as a helper. She's called my doctor to explain this but my doctor just doesn't think its necessary. She's also one of those doctors who thinks I should just go for a walk every day and the fat will melt off without dieting, etc. She almost didn't fill out my physical for my WLS because she said it wouldn't help me at all. I'm trying to get a new doctor, but my HMO is very stubborn.

I think seeing a psychiatrist would be helpful. Get the right med to help yourself long term. I agree that wellbutrin might help you. Bypass your Dr and go straight to a psychiatrist who will understand the mental health component of binge eating.

I'm about 16 months out and have lost almost all my excess weight, but I'd still like to lose a bit more. The problem is, my eating disorder (binge eating) sometimes gets very, very loud in my head and its hard to ignore it. I've been on phentermine before and it helped wonders, but my doctor won't give it to me anymore because she thinks that now that my weight is gone, eating shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas for an OTC appetite suppressant? Not looking for something for daily use, just once in awhile when my head gets too loud. I did ask my therapist but she couldn't recommend anything specific.

i have the same issue. none of my doctors will give me the phentermine to get back on track either. ???? wellbutrin doesn't stop it for me. i try energy drinks. not too much otc stimulants though because they make me crash. sometimes Vitamins help. b-complex. b-12. i had to take Iron pills because i was anemic a couple months back. weird that kind of helped a little because they upset my stomach so i was less likely to binge. trial-and-error, one day at a time with maintenance and trying not to get on a binge kick. ive gotten phen from a weight loss clinic before but it was expensive so it is a once in a blue moon thing. good luck.