Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Conversion from Band to Gastric Bypass

Hi, my name is Susan and I have had a Lap Band for 8 years and now have been advised by my doctor to convert to Gastric Bypass for may reasons. I am scared to death!! I have gained so much weight even over and above my Lap Band and am so depress and embarassed. I do not go out much except to grocery store and doctor visits or anything truely important. I do not socially go out and my husband is getting upset with me, although he is a very caring and understand man. I am so scared and it is all I can think about...... Any suggestions for this scared lady??

I had a RNY gastric bypass surgery 21 months ago and am well pleased with the results. One of the things that I found out after surgery was that I completely loss my hunger. It was not hard to lose weight when hunger was not constantly gnawing at my bones. I went from a size 3X to a size small in shirts and from a 46 in pants down to a size 33.

I ran across a few people in our support group who had lap bands and switched to gastric bypass. In one case the band wore into his stomach and it had to be removed. In another, the band was installed too restrictively. One of the individuals who underwent this change was very pleased by the results.

I had gastric bypass surgery and am maintaining my goal weight. My advice to you would be to ask yourself why lap-band failed? That's not to be meant in an insensitive way but to search inside yourself for that answer. It could be the device, you never felt full, medical circumstances, or not following guidelines. Are you in need of working on some deep personal and emotional issues...I know I had to. By doing so before surgery for many years and continuing that therapy it has helped immensely in my success. So many people do it backwards. They have the surgery, lose the weight, regain the weight and sometimes it's as a result of not dealing with emotional issues or eating issues and turning to food for comfort. Also, do you need further education with nutrition. When it comes to gastric bypass nutrition and education is key and ongoing...Lastly, if you have all of these in line I would encourage you to have the bypass. For myself, I was watching my life go by and not being a full and active participant in it. I would avoid gatherings with my husband's coworkers because in his field let's just say it would be harshly judged. I wouldn't do certain activities because my weight got in the way but my heart sure wanted to do it. None of us know how many days we have but we need to live our days with as much happiness and joy as we can. Tragedy does occur...yes that was part of my problem. But I was determined to fight for myself and with God and the physicians he has provided I have been able to do so. Remember that losing the weight isn't going to solve all of your problems...but from personal experience it has empowered me and made me stronger in conjunction with the treatment I received previously. I hope this makes sense and I really do mean it in a loving way because I want you to succeed and overcome!!

I had gastric bypass surgery and am maintaining my goal weight. My advice to you would be to ask yourself why lap-band failed? That's not to be meant in an insensitive way but to search inside yourself for that answer. It could be the device, you never felt full, medical circumstances, or not following guidelines. Are you in need of working on some deep personal and emotional issues...I know I had to. By doing so before surgery for many years and continuing that therapy it has helped immensely in my success. So many people do it backwards. They have the surgery, lose the weight, regain the weight and sometimes it's as a result of not dealing with emotional issues or eating issues and turning to food for comfort. Also, do you need further education with nutrition. When it comes to gastric bypass nutrition and education is key and ongoing...Lastly, if you have all of these in line I would encourage you to have the bypass. For myself, I was watching my life go by and not being a full and active participant in it. I would avoid gatherings with my husband's coworkers because in his field let's just say it would be harshly judged. I wouldn't do certain activities because my weight got in the way but my heart sure wanted to do it. None of us know how many days we have but we need to live our days with as much happiness and joy as we can. Tragedy does occur...yes that was part of my problem. But I was determined to fight for myself and with God and the physicians he has provided I have been able to do so. Remember that losing the weight isn't going to solve all of your problems...but from personal experience it has empowered me and made me stronger in conjunction with the treatment I received previously. I hope this makes sense and I really do mean it in a loving way because I want you to succeed and overcome!!

Thanks so much for the support and encourraging words. I think I have decided to go on and have my conversion. Will be calling the insurance company tomorrow and checking what they say. Thanks too for mentioning God. I am a Christian and my husband a pastor. Also, I was an OR nurse for 34 years and did over 400 Roux's and 100 bands. But since retiring over 6 years ago I have gained over 100 lbs. I have been working with my husband in the church. I work a day or so a month with a plastic surgeon. So embarassed to be there too in my 3X scrubs, sweating and out of breath all the time. Really dispise what I have done to my body. Did you feel this way too? Hypertension, Pre-diabetes, depression, hopythyroidism, arthritis....on and on. Any web sites that helped you make your decision? Thanks so much. God bless.

I didn't despise myself...it was more like I despised the medical issues that got me there. The tragedies I had endured. I had Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Metabolic Syndrome, Obstructive sleep Apnea and then some. I lost 102 pounds on my own and was on pace to lose the weight I needed to. The key to my success was exercise and I would work out faithfully at least 8 hours a week. Then I tore my right hip. At the same time my thyroid plummeted. I gained 40 pounds in a snap but managed to keep some of the weight I lost off. After that I saw several top orthopedic surgeons and found out that I not only had a labral tear, but bone spurs and the femoral head needed to be re-surfaced to fit into the joint. The doctor said he could do arthroscopic hip surgery but it was a minimum of 6 weeks on crutches. He was honest and said because I was overweight putting that much weight on my hip would be detrimental to the recovery and put me at a higher surgical risk. He recommended that bariatric surgery, which I previously looked into, may be a good option for me. It might take enough pressure off of the joint to relieve the pain I felt and put off surgery. If the weight loss didn't work at least I would be much lighter when I had the surgery and easier with the crutches. I am turning 40 next year so it's best for me to put off hip surgery as it could go very wrong and leave me with a limp. So far so good.

I am currently 5'4 and 145 pounds. My doctors goal was 150 and my personal goal is 135 which would give me a little cushion. I am technically suppose to weigh between 113-141lbs based on current weight charts. My doctor fully supports me. I am a size small/medium on top and 6 on the bottom. My highest weight ever was 302 pounds.

Emotionally I have had to work through being molested as a child, witnessing the horrific death of my first husband and having severe post-partum depression. I re-married and had a baby boy and apparently the PTSD put me at a much higher risk for developing that type of depression. He is now 12. These are the main issues I have had to deal with emotionally and have been in therapy for the last 20+ years.

I currently help mentor others that have had the surgery especially the ones who were not properly educated pre-surgery. It's funny because they blame the doctors but this is an elective surgery and ultimately your choice. You have to do some research on your own. What is the good, bad, and the ugly of this surgery and how it can impact me? Lack of personal accountability is very present. But you being a nurse previously in the field I think you know the bulk of this information.

I accepted the risks and rewards of the surgery. My Type 2 Diabetes was gone before I left the hospital...my high blood pressure gone in a week. Apnea is gone. I can't help the thyroid (just test frequently it did drop again during my weight loss and we had to bump up my meds)...but the hip is 90% better. My pastor came to visit me and pray with me even though I was 1.5 hours away. My anthem song was "I will never be the same again" He sang it to me at my bedside, he loves to sing. If you have never heard it take a listen.

If you have any other questions ask away.????

I went from Lap Band (2005) to Gastric Bypass-3/16/15. I lost minimal Amy of wt with the band and HAD to do something. I am very please that I made the decision for surgery despite the fact that I am in pain now. It's a very personal, life changing choice but I'm glad I decided to do it. All the best to you and your decision

You are by far not the only person who has had poor results (long-term) with the band and has needed another surgery. Do not be so hard on yourself, I think that what the bariatric community is learning is that the band has some serious problems. I had roux en y bypass 6 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I was terrified of the surgery but I bounced back and I am so much healthier and happier as a result. I wish you the very best and much happiness!

Hi, my name is Susan and I have had a Lap Band for 8 years and now have been advised by my doctor to convert to Gastric Bypass for may reasons. I am scared to death!! I have gained so much weight even over and above my Lap Band and am so depress and embarassed. I do not go out much except to grocery store and doctor visits or anything truely important. I do not socially go out and my husband is getting upset with me, although he is a very caring and understand man. I am so scared and it is all I can think about...... Any suggestions for this scared lady??