Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Days to Go and Getting Anxious

I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery next week on March 24th and I think I'm going through the "OMG, What am I thinking stage"! I keep waking up at night thinking of all that can go wrong. I'm a worrier by nature and here in Sweden a big part of the initial meeting is all of the things that can go wrong. They really stress it here.

I've been on my prep diet (Protein drinks -800 calories a day) since last Wednesday and lost 2.5kg right off the bat then bounced up .4kg (WT%#€*??) and now the last two days nothing...I have to lose 3 more kg before my op or they won't operate! Now I'm getting worried. Funnily, I am not a soda person but the last two days I've been drinking diet Fanta. Maybe that can cause Water retention? The label says 0% sodium though.

First meeting with the doctor I weighed 115,4kg now I'm at 110.4 kg. I've probably weighed as much as 125kg. I've been overweight my entire adult life. My wake up call was last summer when I wouldn't put on my swimsuit to go swimming at the beach because I felt so uncomfortable and I was also diagnosed with hbp in the fall. And I just turned 50...mid life crisis? I'm tired of feeling held back because of my weight.

Anyway, I guess my last minute jitters are normal??

Yes they are normal! It's like getting married only you don't have the option for divorce...it's actually permanent! Ha!!

Stay strong. Nerves are absolutely normal for any surgery. Just know that you will be so much better once you've made it through surgery and the post-op period.

I am feeling the same way. My surgery date is March 25th and I'm going through all sorts of emotions and thoughts. I'm on the Pre-Op diet right now as well. I will see my dr on Wednesday and do the registration at the hospital. It's getting down to the wire and I'm just now getting my Protein shakes together to get through this preop stage.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just keep reminding yourself why you made the decision to go through with it in the first place. That's what I keep doing. I'm doing this basically solo because I didn't want my family and friends to know. My best friend knows and she was supposed to come down to help me through it but it doesn't seem as though she's going to make it. It looks like it's just me. At least I have a ride to the hospital and home the next day.

Good luck!!

Thank you for the replies and kind words! I guess it's last minute nerves and I was frustrated that my weight wasn't stopping but this morning I'm down .9kg! That's almost two pounds! woohoo! I saw my therapist yesterday and she helped calm my nerves and put things in perspective.

OMG! I don't know if I'd want to do this alone. You sound like a strong person. Do you have a therapist? I got one on my own and I must say it's one of the best things I've done to help me through this. I don't feel looked down on or analyzed. She's more like an older, wiser aunt and I feel lucky to have found her. I can discuss anything with her. Let's keep in touch. Good luck with your surgery. xo

I am feeling the same jitters and my surgery is the same day..i think i have even drveloped a cold...from my reading experience i think that everyone starts out nervous..good luck!!

Mine is the 30th and today I went and signed consent papers. Definitely an omg this is really, finally going to happen!!! Soooooo nervous...not so much about the food after but about the procedure itself! And yes my dr today also was explaining (again) all of the scary statistics!! best of luck to you I'm sure you will do fantastic!!!

Hi!

Thanks for your responses! Yes, I feel the same. More anxious about the unknown but I do feel more at ease the closer the surgery date gets here. Strange. Talked with the anesthesiologist by phone which reassured me as I need a special intubation due to a neck operation. He assured me I'll do fine.

On another note, my liquid diet has been going ok. I started getting a flu-ey feeling which I read can be due to low carb/calories. I read it can be caused by loss of salts or detox and that drinking bouillon which contains a lot of salt can help. Well, this morning I'm up 1 kilo!! Frustrating when I'm starving all of the time and have not cheated!! Arrggghh! Flushing with lots of Water this morning!!

Good luck with your surgeries!

Edited by MadameX

@@MadameX I do not have a therapist. I do have 2 close friends that know what I'm doing and I talk to them when I need to. Right now I use this site and I'm pretty determined to see this thru. It has been a long road to get to this decision and now that I'm here I don't want anyone else's opinions about it.

We will keep in touch and encourage one another. Here's my email address mechele4eva@hotmail.com.

I understand you're feeling.. My husband and I are doing it together, we did not want to share with anyone right now as we aren't interested in anyone's opinion. We have not shared with family, friends or work. It's not to say we won't, but right now we're holding off.

@@brmbrown thank you! My best friend has a family (3kids & a husband) to consider when she's making plans. Her husband will be on travel that week. I am an army veteran and she just recently retired but her husband is still active duty. I have a male friend here that will be there. I'm definitely nervous but I'm sure everything will work out fine. This is just something I need to do for me. ????????

I'm glad you have your husband to share the experience with.