Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not very much weight loss

Post op I've only lost 8 pounds since January 28th, 2015 It's been 10 weeks...Im Soon disappointed. I have about 60 pounds total that I want too loose. I exercise about twice a week & don't eat very much at meals, I also eat healthy. Once a week I get frozen yogurt, which is my down fall. I just got a fill around Feb.3 & feel the restriction, so that's not the problem, Im just so upset that I've lost very little after post lap band....Any help would be very appreciated

The band doesnt make us lose weight. It just helps us to feel a little less hungry. Weight loss is down to us taking in fewer calories than we burn. Exercise helps but only slightly. So if you are not losing as fast as you hoped, you are eating too much! It really is that simple.

January 28th is only 6 weeks away, isn't it? Maybe that was a typo as you had a fill on Feb 3rd??

With a comparatively small amount to lose, your loss will be slower than for someone with 100 or more pounds to lose but 8lbs in 6 weeks is within the normal range of 1-2lbs a week. If you are comfortable with your current good intake, keep on as you are. Slow but steady loss. If you aren't, eat a bit less.

If it is 8lbs in 10 weeks, yes that is slow! But that's how it goes for some people.

We all differ but I lost all my excess weight on just under 1200 calories a day - many need to go lower.

Are you counting/ measuring food?

Edited by KateP

I feel like I am a slow loser - 30 pounds in 4 months. This month has been a bit frustrating because I keep fluctuating 5 pounds. I blame the crazy weather we had for a bit because I quit exercising completely, and quite frankly I have been craving junk. But 30 pounds is still 30 pounds. I gained a little after my initial first week post-op (before my 2nd fill) but that was right in the middle of the holidays. it gets better with each fill - hold onto that. I have my next fill thursday and I have really high hopes for that in getting to the green zone. it has been a little frustrating this past month because I really thought I was at green with this last fill, but as I have struggled I know I am not quite where I need to be. But 10 pounds is 10 pounds. Be proud! That is 10 pounds that you can say goodbye to for forever. Also, a little perspective once given to me, as you have about 60 more you want to lose, you only have to lose 10 pounds 6 more times. That is awesome! You can do this. you ARE doing it even when it feels like you aren't. I promise. :-)

The band doesnt make us lose weight. It just helps us to feel a little less hungry. Weight loss is down to us taking in fewer calories than we burn. Exercise helps but only slightly. So if you are not losing as fast as you hoped, you are eating too much! It really is that simple.

January 28th is only 6 weeks away, isn't it? Maybe that was a typo as you had a fill on Feb 3rd??

With a comparatively small amount to lose, your loss will be slower than for someone with 100 or more pounds to lose but 8lbs in 6 weeks is within the normal range of 1-2lbs a week. If you are comfortable with your current good intake, keep on as you are. Slow but steady loss. If you aren't, eat a bit less.

If it is 8lbs in 10 weeks, yes that is slow! But that's how it goes for some people.

We all differ but I lost all my excess weight on just under 1200 calories a day - many need to go lower.

Are you counting/ measuring food?

I am only just starting..but I have to agree with you. The lapband is a Tool to help me lose weight not a cure. I understand it all now, which is something I didn't before. My doctor told me I could lose as little as 1\2 lb a week..I told him Any weight lost per week was a WIN.

I don't expect that I will lose 25 lbs every 6 wks, I expect at some point I will have to change up my diet (or maybe many times before I'm healthy) by eating less calories &/or different foods. It's work, it's something you have to commit to..it's a total lifestyle overhaul. Which is something I am 110% committed to for the rest of my life :-)

If the band doesnt make us lose weight why is it considered weightloss surgery? Or a weightloss tool?

I was banded August 2012 and I only lost weight when I felt restriction. They toy around with U an entire year to get U filled to your green zone. The first 10-11 months I kept losing and regaining the same 10-12lbs. Talk about frustrating!

Especially with family and friends spectating insisting I'd wasted 10grand.....

But once I found my sweet spot, and no time in the gym what so ever I went from 208 to now 149.

The day U got lap band surgery the band was merely INSTALLED it wont reach its full potential until you are filled to your green zone. Any weightloss before your green zone will come from your dieting and work out regimen.......

If the band doesnt make us lose weight why is it considered weightloss surgery? Or a weightloss tool?

I was banded August 2012 and I only lost weight when I felt restriction. They toy around with U an entire year to get U filled to your green zone. The first 10-11 months I kept losing and regaining the same 10-12lbs. Talk about frustrating!

Especially with family and friends spectating insisting I'd wasted 10grand.....

But once I found my sweet spot, and no time in the gym what so ever I went from 208 to now 149.

The day U got lap band surgery the band was merely INSTALLED it wont reach its full potential until you are filled to your green zone. Any weightloss before your green zone will come from your dieting and work out regimen.......

You have misunderstood me. I was trying to make the point that, unlike with RNY, VSG or DS, the band itself neither prevents us eating nor causes malabsorption, the decision as to whether we eat in a manner which leads to weigh loss is entirely ours. The band is an inert object which simply makes us eat slowly and mindfully. So, yes, of course it is weight loss surgery. But ours are the choices. It is very easy to have a band and not lose a single pound.

This is not the case with other surgeries. RNY causes malabsorption, a limited capacity and, for some, dumping. VSG makes it physically impossible to overeat. DS causes so much malabsorption that a very intense regime of supplements is necessary.

I feel if u've not lost weight with Lab Band u've not been filled to your sweet spot/green zone or there's a leak.

My band controls my portions tremendously. Before my green zone I was eating an entire can of pringles in one sitting.

If I over eat or not chew my meals thoroughly I puke.

My band is my brake where I once had no brake at all.

I feel if u've not lost weight with Lab Band u've not been filled to your sweet spot/green zone or there's a leak.

My band controls my portions tremendously. Before my green zone I was eating an entire can of pringles in one sitting.

If I over eat or not chew my meals thoroughly I puke.

My band is my brake where I once had no brake at all.

This is obviously a decision made by you and your doctor. But the Lapband should not work as a brake. If the food is well chewed, it passes through a well adjusted band in under a minute. Until about 2007/8, it was believed that food should remain above theband for a time to stimulate the vagus nerve into signalling satiety. However, studies showed that not only did this not happen, it must not happen. Any food remaining above the band puts pressure on the diaphragm and th base of the oesophagus. This can lead to damage to the soft tissue and is the most common cause of the most common band complication, dilated Oesophagus.

The band, it is now accepted by bariatric professionals, works by slowing food movement. Because of the narrowing, food which would normally have passed with one movement of the oesophageal walls, requires several. These movements tell the brain we have eaten more than we have.

I was banded in 2006 and started with the old orthodoxy. My own doctor re-instructed me in 2008 after attending a major international conference in the US which out forwarded all the latests research. He tells me that since this time, the number of cases of oesophageal dilation he has had to deal with have dropped dramatically.

I myself have always taken very great care not to use my band as a brake andI think that is probably why I have my band after nine years - very unusual!

I had my surgery on 1/28 too!! I have only lost 14 pounds!! Can't wait to get the green zone!!

Hi Pepper...i orinally posted the frustrated post...& thx for your response..i dont eat much & i do eat healthy..i was wondering how do u know when you're in the green zone. My surgery was Jan 28..& got a fill March 5 approx. I've only lost a total of 8 pounds to date it is frustrating but I'm trying not to let it bother me..I only have approx 60 to lose...Any help would be appreciated thx

Edited by jenengelmann

Hi Pepper...i orinally posted the frustrated post...& thx for your response..i dont eat much & i do eat healthy..i was wondering how do u know when you're in the green zone. My surgery was Jan 28..& got a fill March 5 approx. I've only lost a total of 8 pounds to date it is frustrating but I'm trying not to let it bother me..I only have approx 60 to lose...Any help would be appreciated thx

@@jenengelmann

U can go months getting fills or U could be one of those lucky patients who will only require 1-2...I find it to be different for everyone.

As of your March 5th fill expect to be tight for the first few days because most fills come with irritation & swelling. This causes less food consumption so U will lose some weight that week. But once the irritation goes away U will be able to tolerate larger portions almost as if u had no band at all, and thus regain those lbs U just lost.

This inconsistency with restriction then no restriction having to diet and count calories and carbs and working out is what we like to title Bandsters Hell (excuse my french)

My band holds 10cc's I believe Im filled pretty close to 8cc's.

I feel Im in the green zone (or possibly too tight, depends on who U ask) because 3 spoons of Soup at noon keeps me satisfied until dinner. dinner I'll have a cup (maybe less) of Garlicy Spinach from Boston Market. Mornings Im satisfied with coffee (or any warm liquid) because mornings are when my band is tightest.

Ive lost 60lbs from August 2014 to January 2015...only 5months.

Where before August 2014 I was losing and then regaining the same 10-12lbs over and over again.......