Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why R U Running To Get A Fill

I had my Surgery almost 6 weeks ago. And since then I been doing great. My questition is why do so many people on here right after surgery run to get a fill. I thought the purpose of the band was so that we now have a tool that we can use to help us control our food intake. I figure that would take at least about 2-3 months to do. But it seems like a lot of people get fills less than that time after surgery. I feel like you have'nt had enough time to know if you can do on your own or not.

Does any else agree:confused:

The purpose, at least for me, was to get banded because I could not do it on my own. Lord knows I tried everything I could humanly do to lose weight on my own. Finally accepting the fact that I needed help, I chose to be banded. Part of the banding process is to have fills, to give the feeling of being full. Some people need only one or two fills, while others do need more. The psycological aspect of needing to eat is not "banded", therefore stress, fear, pain, insecurities and many other reasons for overeating is still there. We know there is a "head" hunger and an actual need to eat. Many of us are not discilplined to have the surgery and not need the "fills". We need all the support we can get to have successful weight loss!

My doc wanted me to get a fill at 5 weeks. I have the small band and am sooooo glad I did get a fill because the first 5 months I dropped 60 pounds fast. I'm sure without the fill it wouldn't have dropped as fast. I just do what my surgeon tells me to do. I trust his judgement and every doc is different.

For me, I had surgery on May 24th at which time my surgeon placed the band on my stomach. He told me there would be some restriction until the swelling went down....which is exactly what has happened to me. I felt restriction and "full" the first week after surgery and now I am hungry as hell. He told me 6 weeks after surgery he would do the first fill. He did tell me people are different and what is good for one person is different for another. Some people have restriction for quite some time after surgery. I went for my check-up last Friday and he told me this was the healing phase for the band on my stomach......not the losing phase. I did lose 15 lbs but because I was on liquids....not because of restriction. Lord knows I am ready for a fill now because I am hungry even after I drink my Protein shakes. My doctor said it was normal to have 4-6 fills a year....sometimes more sometimes less......you have to find was is your "sweet spot" I have been reading this site for a year now and it seems "fills" are definitely a necessity to make the band work properly.

Lori Ann

I had my Surgery almost 6 weeks ago. And since then I been doing great. My questition is why do so many people on here right after surgery run to get a fill. I thought the purpose of the band was so that we now have a tool that we can use to help us control our food intake. I figure that would take at least about 2-3 months to do. But it seems like a lot of people get fills less than that time after surgery. I feel like you have'nt had enough time to know if you can do on your own or not.

I don't agree. I already know I couldn't do it on my own, I have 35+ years of being overweight/obese to prove that.

For me, having a tool to help with my food intake included getting that tool adjusted for me. I mean, buying a table saw doesn't help you cut wood until you plug it in. Fills for me is the plugging in part.

That's just my experience though. Some people don't have their hunger return after surgery for a long time, more power to them.

My surgeon told me that the occasional patient never needs a fill, the band is enough restriction for them. He said it's rare, but it happens. Perhaps you have enough restriction without a fill. But I agree with the rest, why even get the band if you intended to do it on your own? I KNOW I can't do it on my own...38 years of being overweight kinda proves my theory, so if/when I need a fill, I will get my butt to the doc and get one.

You shouldn't even have the surgery unless you're pretty sure that you CAN'T do it on your own.

I wanted to know is it because you get so so so hungry after surgery that you feel that the band is not gonna work if you dont get a fill. After surgery don't get me wrong I was like everybody else starving and wanted to eat anything. But I didn't and as each day went by I guess I talked myself out it because now I eat between 500-600 calories during the week and 600-800 calories on the weekend. I know that everybody is diffrent. I am not saying that I am exempt. I have a always been a heavy child all up through now. So this is no walk in the park for me.

I'm not trying to offend anybody. I just feel like from my understanding that we first needed to learn how to use this new tool that the time span would at least be like I said 2-3 months before I needed a fill. I don't feel like I will never get a fill I'm just saying right now I'm trying to hold off. Just like everybody always says this is great place to express your feelings and views that's why I Love it here!!

Everyone is different, some people never need a fill, and others get hungry and stop losing weight at which time a fill is needed. That is why the band is adjustable.

I don't agree at all.....Oh yes, I can lose weight, I'm a great dieter, I've been on them all, however, I have NEVER been able to keep it off.

The purpose of the band is to give you restriction on the amount of food you can eat, to help you stay fuller longer, and to keep the hunger from returning.

Some people feel that restriction right off the bat, without a fill. Me, on the other hand, did not. I needed the fill to fill the restriction, I've now had 2 fills and at 3cc's in a 5 cc band, and still need just a little more to get to the sweet spot.

I am losing, by working out 6 days a week and making healthy choices, THATS ME DOING THE WORK, and the band is my tool. However, with a fill, what good would it do for me if I don't have restriction?

Again, everyone is different, only we ourselves know if we truly need a fill. If you are able to eat more than 5 oz of food or 1 cup of food, chances are, you need a fill (this does not mean forcing more than 1 cup off food down, we all can do that), and if you are getting hungry before 3 or 4 hours, chances are you need a fill.

Thats how I judge whether or not I need a fill. I force myself not to eat much, and eat healthy so I'm losing, however, I want my tool to help me at times that I may fall short - its my back up I guess.

I had pretty good restriction for a couple months after surgery even without a fill, so I did not get one. But when I lost the restriction I went right away for a fill. I'm going to get another one as soon as possible because the first one did not give me the restriction I need.

The whole point of the band is to have a tool that allows you to feel full on smaller portions. Without restriction, that band doesn't work at all. If you are going around starving you should get a fill, or why get the band in the first place. The band is not about testing your will power to hold up against starvation. It's about having a tool to lose weight with little or no little or no starvation or will power.

Getting the band and not getting a fill is like buying a gasoline lawn mower but still pushing it by hand when you mow the lawn. What's the point? Why spend the money?

This is not meant to be a personal attack at all. Sorry if it comes across that way, I am just trying to make a point. I just think that someone gave you the wrong idea somewhere along the line of what the band is for and how to use it.

If the band is working for you without a fill, and you are happy that way, obviously go with the method that you are happy with.

When they put the band in, it is empty....you don't get the fill until after six weeks....that makes your stomach smaller....that is what makes the band work...the fills....

Kadrian

I am out about10 months and have have 100 pound weight loss. I am one who has not had many fills. My band holds 11 cc and I am at 5cc. For me I have a nice restriction that allows me to eat and be comfortable. My Dr. calls this "the sweet spot" The band works and yet I am not eating too much or not enough. The idea of the band in my opinion is to help us limit our amount of food. Some peole need more help with that than others. I have a friend who is at 10cc and has been there early on. Again, my physician doesn't give the first fill until at least 4 weeks out of surgery. The hardest thing for me was and is to learn how to let the band work for me. Just one pespective.

I was banded on May 23rd and a little over two weeks out have NO restriction. The purpose of the band is to give me restriction and I need to make proper food choices and work out for it to be a good tool for me. If I didnt want the restriction I wouldnt have bothered to get a lap band at all. There is no point to an empty band if it doesnt do anything for you. Some people get restriction from just their bands, I dont! So I have scheduled my fill for 4 weeks post op!