Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Therapist says "You can do it w/o surgery"

@@Sharon1964 .. I appreciate your comments, Sharon. I had no idea I was being overcharged. This isn't something I've done before. I am definitely going to address this, in writing, once she is signed off tomorrow and my surgeon tells me I am all clear and have a surgery date. The price is obscene, it's not covering even the issue I was sent there for (which was ridiculous in itself) and I have to travel 90 each way to see her.

I was referred because the evaluator decided I need to see someone based on my 400 question survey that her computer spit out stats on.

It sounds like you took an assessment called the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, or MMPI. It's about 400 true/false questions. You may have answered some questions showing you subconsciously had some lingering regret about your marriage, your husband, or your divorce.

I know there weren't any questions specifically about marriage, but that's the way these things work.

It took me a long time to decide too, for the same reasons. I lost weight but didn't keep it off, and it crept up again over the years. I feel like with this surgery I will be able to maintain for the rest of my life. I know what I have to do, and this will be the tool to back me up and not let me overdo because i will be physically sick.

My surgery is March 23. I'm excited and nervous!

This person is not a psychologist as that requires a doctorate. She is likely a marriage and family therapist (MFT), licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) or the equivalent in your state.

Not only would I complain to your surgeon, I would file a complaint with her state licensing board.

And by the way, you are being way overcharged. A Master's level therapist makes about $50 to $75 per 50 minute session in a mid-sized city. I would mention that to the surgeon as well.

Sharon

(before I changed careers to running a pain management office, I ran mental health offices for about 13 years)

I am a master's level clinician in private practice and my fee is $150 per 50 minute session. This is the standard fee in my large metropolitan area and many clinicians charge as much as $210 per session. I do have a contract with the county and take on some medi-CAL clients at a reduced rate of $63 per 50 minute hour. Other than that, I'm not on any insurance panels so clients who choose to see me pay out of pocket and may choose to utilize their PPO benefits and handle reimbursement from their insurance companies on their own. Clinicians who agree to accept insurance (Blue cross, Blue shield, etc) and want to join those specific insurance panels, agree to a lower fee. Often it can be as low as $50-$70 per session. It doesn't sound like this poster was utilizing her in-network mental health benefits and was paying out of pocket.

I've also sat on review boards for the Board of Behavioral Sciences and I can tell you that this clinician hasn't done anything that will get her license suspended or yanked. Did she allow her personal opinion to interfere with doing good work with her client? Absolutely. Just be thankful you are only required to do three sessions and move on. I would encourage you to be open and honest about your experience with both the therapist and your surgeon. It sounds like bariatrics may not be her niche.

I have to ask... Why are you traveling 180 miles round trip for therapy?!? There weren't any clinicians closer to you????

Edited by Bluesea71

She is a Master Level (per requirements) and I get to pay her $150 (per visit) out of pocket.. ohhhh the joys LOL

Ask for a refund!!!

I was referred because the evaluator decided I need to see someone based on my 400 question survey that her computer spit out stats on. It's all nerve wracking. I am just glad I can get her signed off of my list tomorrow.

I'm really sorry that you have had this experience. If your surgeon does not give you a surgery date, I recommend that you find another surgeon whose prep is more streamlined. I am amazed at some of the hoops these surgeons put people through.

@@Bluesea71 I traveled 90minutes each way to see a therapist that fit their requirements (I was given an approved list) that would also be able to get me in 3x before my final surgeon visit on march 17.

@@Bluesea71 I traveled 90minutes each way to see a therapist that fit their requirements (I was given an approved list) that would also be able to get me in 3x before my final surgeon visit on march 17.

That seems ridiculous that they are referring clients to clinicians who have practices that far away. Geez, how much do you spend on gas? It also seems like you have had a lot of hoops to jump through. At least compared to what I had to do to be approved. I had one 50 minute talk session with a psychologist on the Bariatric staff at Kaiser and I was approved. No psychological tests or anything. It's so bizarre how each surgeon and practice has their own protocol.

Get a 2nd opinion. This type of thing happened to me at my psych eval. Not only did the guy tell me that since I'd battled depression but that because of that I would not make a good candidate for the surgery. Then he harped on me about being between jobs and asked me how was I even going to pay for the procedure? How are you paying your rent? He talked down to me like I was a 3 year old.

Primary care physician, waited until i was done with month #5 to tell me since I'd gained 3 lbs in 5 months that I was not a good candidate.

I was not about to let these jack@%$es have the last word in regards to my health. I was taking two insulins, blood pressure medicine and oral medication for diabetes and you want me to do what?? Wait? For what, my health to get worse? Wait to have a stroke, heart attack or amputation or kidney failure? Wait? Wait my. @#%....

(sigh)..

Don't let anyone get in your way of doing what you feel is best for your health and well being. I hope it all worked out and you were able to get the surgery and start your new life :)

SippedChick

@@SippedChick Hi.. thank you for your response.. I saw that woman for the last time on Thursday and got the note from her saying I did the 3 visits per my surgeons requirements. Tomorrow I final sign off from my primary & then Tuesday is my final with my surgeon and we will submit everything. I was previously told my surgery would be in April, but they couldn't set the date until final approval comes back. SO, i am hoping for April :)