Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband and alcohol

Hi all, I have a question about lapband and alcohol. I had a few too many drinks on Saturday night with some girlfriends. Since then I've had some stuck issues and vomited a bit. I am hoping this is all part of my learning curve and learning my new limits. Maybe big nights need to be a thing of the past? Has anyone else experienced this??

I didn't drink any alcohol for the first year. and than I allowed myself to drink my Christmas drink of bailey's and coffee. I would have been hesitate to drink to much with the fear of the nausea and perhaps vomiting that could have occurred. vomiting is a no no. we try hard not to do it. you can still go out with friends but do sip on one drink. you are only a few months from your surgery date.

I can't see why it would have made you feel any tighter. It is worth taking care though for several reasons.

Empty calories

Low food intake means it is like drinking on an empty stomach so it often has more effect

Lowers inhibitions so we may eat more or carelessly

Very high quantity of alcohol may cause vomiting which is to be avoided.

I did have the occasional drink from about three or four months post-op and I am relaxed about it now. But at so far post-op, I really know how things work for me.

Thanks for that. I will definitely be a lot more careful from now on. What happened to me this morning really isn't worth it. I've come too far to stuff it up.. Was a really horrible feeling.

I don't hold back drinking socially...either gin and tonics or bloody mary's....

Does not effect my band one way or the other....

As far as colories, I'm not a calorie counter...I look at the big picture which is I now eat 1/10th of what I used to on any given day, and when I do eat, I make the best nutritious choices I can.

I also will have a beer or two from time to time...but I don't recommended it to people just starting out...there is a lot to learn first...

I have only been banded since mid January and do enjoy a small glass of wine with meals a few times a week. My weight continues to drop and overall I'm eating much less then I normally would have back before the surgery.

The alcohol also does not impact me, they are liquids and go right through.

At the end of the day it's about what goes in and how much you burn. In addition it's about satiety, so if you're eating less and can go the 4 (recommended) hours and loosing the 1-2lbs a week - you're golden (in my opinion)

Also to note I read a book my surgeon had given me based on the Dr who was instrumental in the band procedure; his studies actually show that patients who enjoyed a small amount of wine throughout the week with dinner had favourable results.

My one rule with alcohol is nothing fizzy. Which coming from someone who loves cocktails and champagne, but most importantly a great G&T - is hard. But since I had the surgery, I've managed to get rid of the carbonated drinks. I usually drink red wine or vodka with apple. Cranberry is out as I have had it so much now it makes me feel nautius (on one occasion I did nearly throw up - painful), not a fan of orange juice either. But my preference is for cocktails.

I know I need to work on drinking a lot less myself and I am fine going out in social gatherings and not drinking at all, however I think you have to give yourself some "treats" and not put yourself down if you do drink. Everything in moderation (so boring) but I try and save drinking for the weekend as much as possible and never drink on my own in the house.

Thanks for the advice. I've realised that everything is fine in moderation and I'm pretty sure that what I went through was a result of a big night and believe me those are very few and far between these days. I've been fine ever since and am back to my normal self - although I am on holidays in Thailand at the moment and don't have 100% control over my food, but I am chewing slowly and nit finishing entire meals. I do think I am making the best choices possible...

Thanks for the advice. I've realised that everything is fine in moderation and I'm pretty sure that what I went through was a result of a big night and believe me those are very few and far between these days. I've been fine ever since and am back to my normal self - although I am on holidays in Thailand at the moment and don't have 100% control over my food, but I am chewing slowly and nit finishing entire meals. I do think I am making the best choices possible...

If you are eating real Thai food rather than in international restaurants or those aimed at Western tourists, , I always find it a good place to eat. Not heavy or stodgy, usually already in very small pieces, especially the meat. And not too fatty, nothing like the Thai food we tend to get outside Asia. We usually eat from street stalls and I find it very band friendly,

For some of us, a small amount of alcohol goes a long way.

2 drinks has become my personal limit. Often just one before dinner

But I love that I get to change my attitude just a bit.

Since being widowed last year, I rarely find myself out at night.. But it is a nice treat to be civilized and have a cocktail with a small dinner for me????

It all boils down to what u, ur band, can tolerate at the end of the day.

U've just learned that alcohol or a certain alcohol mix irritates your band.

The entry way between ur upper small pouch and the lower bigger pouch is probably swolen shut and not allowing anything thru now.

Wait until the swelling subsides to eat or drink anything. Rest ur band for a few days with tolerable noncarbonated liquids and U'll know the moment the irritating & swelling are gone.

Good Luck!