Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Sodas with sleeve?

Anyone struggle with drinking sodas with your sleeve? I am a huge addict of Dr Pepper.

Struggle how? I don't drink them. I used to be a big Diet Coke drinker prior to surgery, but I gave them up cold turkey and haven't gone back. Surprisingly, it has not been hard for me.

Soda? hmmm...I was advised by my Surgeon and nutritionist that I am not to ever have soda. (or cigarettes). Those are the two no-no's. Your tummy is too small to fill it with tiny bubbles. You will get sick if you try.

I wouldn't know. I haven't had a diet soda since I was sleeved 6 months ago ( and I LOVED my diet Coke!) I know some drink it flat so the bubbles don't hurt. I wouldn't touch regular soda, flat or not. Too many empty calories and sugar.

You may find that you start feeling like a balloon after a few sips. There's no way I could drink very much carbonation at once. I used to love soda but now I given up the idea. Not even worth the effort to try to drink it. Sometimes a Coke Slurpee is pretty good but again, even a small one is too much. But for those few sips I can hold - delicious.

I can't even imagine drinking a soda! The bubbles would kill me!

I knew before my sleeve that it would mean never drinking soda again. I'm six months post-op and haven't even been tempted to drink soda yet. Don't think I ever will be at this point.

I was given massive warning to not drink carbonated drinks by my surgeon..I used to be addicted to pepsi max.. I have not touched a drop since my surgery, while i would love some right now.. There is no way i would touch it though - will cause bloating and high % that it will increase your stomach size.. Now i didn't have this operation to create a new stomach and stretch it out!

I've had one mini size soda and am 3 months out...did not taste like soda i added soo much Water. and that was the end of my soda experience.

Since July 14, 2015 I've had the equivalent of a 16 oz bottle of Dt. Pepsi. Small sips, I find settle my tummy but I only have small sips. I was a diet Pepsi fiend. WLSS helped me lose my taste for it. So I am now a Water fiend.

I drink soda every single day...diet cherry pepsi...mmmm, YUM. It doesn't bother my stomach at all. My doctor told me to lay off the soda and caffeine for the first two months and then if I could drink it if it didn't cause gas pain. There was no sleeve-related medical reason that I couldn't have it and while soda is bad for you, so are a lot of other things, most of which are not made any worse just because we only have 20% of a stomach. I figure I don't smoke, don't do drugs, rarely eat junk food, and rarely drink alcohol....if diet soda is my weakness, I'm pretty happy that's the one I have!

God help me, it has been hard giving up carbonated beverages. I can commiserate with you!

I drink soda every single day...diet cherry pepsi...mmmm, YUM. It doesn't bother my stomach at all. My doctor told me to lay off the soda and caffeine for the first two months and then if I could drink it if it didn't cause gas pain. There was no sleeve-related medical reason that I couldn't have it and while soda is bad for you, so are a lot of other things, most of which are not made any worse just because we only have 20% of a stomach. I figure I don't smoke, don't do drugs, rarely eat junk food, and rarely drink alcohol....if diet soda is my weakness, I'm pretty happy that's the one I have!

I was told that routine carbonation consumption can stretch your stomach out back to its original size. My surgeon was very, very serious about the consumption of carbonation in any form.

I don't drink anything carbonated and do not plan to.