Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted sleeve. Help me believe RNY is better.

I planned all along for the sleeve surgery. I did not want to re-route my intestines. I fear the malabsorption issues because of increased risk of osteoporosis. Articles indicate Calcium is leeched from your bones even with supplemental calcium. I have early stage (osteopenia) and watched my mom sitting in a nursing home as her spinal disks collapsed from it, and my Aunt started on Fosomax 20 years ago. I also have some arthritis starting and wanted the option of NSAIDS. And after suffering with IBS in my 30s I fear the effect of altering the digestive tract.

However I and now diagnosed (after years of GERD) with Barretts esophagus and my surgeon has not answered whether he will consider sleeve surgery.

Continue to research and know that RNY is whats best. I was faced with the same concerns & issues and I'm thankful I came around. I have no regrets after bypass. - 6 mo out, down 75 pounds.

I was on the fence between the two, after talking to my doctor we decided on RNY because of it having the longest track record and I had GERD. I have arthritis and am working with my doctor on meds still as I am a truck driver so that also limits my med choices but for the most part Tylenol works.

I was worried about malabsorption also but take good bariatric Vitamins, cost a bit more but piece of mind is worth it. My labs have been great. I am year and half out with no issues, I can eat whatever I want without dumping and reach my Protein goals.

Do research, press your doctor for more info, you need to be comfortable with your choice. Good luck

Edited by Truckerchic

I too went in wanting the sleeve procedure but, my doctor recommended rny because I have acid reflux. I also have arthritis but since my pre-op diet and post surgery I haven't had any issues with it at all. Just goes to show that allot of foods I was eating prior to my surgery really gave me so many issues.

I had a Sleeve done on 4/26/2010. They had only been doing them in the U.S. for about a year then. Four months post Sleeve I began vomiting bile randomly. Anytime day or night, on an empty stomach, it would hit. My sleeve surgeon told me that he would just live with it! I changed doctors right after that. On Jan. 20, 2015 I was converted to RNY. They have learned that some who have GERD before sleeve will have this problem and the RNY is the only way to stop it. By rerouting the intestines the bile is no longer able to get into my pouch, making me sick.

Looking at the timeline you can see that I suffered with it for almost five years. I had multiple scopes, x-rays, and had my gallbladder removed during that time. So far this seems to have fixed it.

Hope this may help you make up your mind. Best to you!

I too had a severe case of Gerd prior to surgery and I went in wanting the sleeve for all the same reasons you mentioned. When I was told that RNY was the best surgery for me I actually got a second and third opinion.

Every doctor told me I would be making a huge mistake to have the sleeve given my Gerd situation. I actually have psoriatic arthritis and my spine has been deteriorating since I was in my early 30s. It had nothing to do with Calcium deficiencies. I have had 5 back surgeries and am looking at another in the coming months.

Here is the thing RNY has literally given me my life back. I take the calcium that is perscribed to me and have my labs checked regularly,

The folks that struggle with malabsorption are the folks that do not take their Vitamins and do not follow up with their bariatric team.

Seriously don't be afraid to do what is going to keep you healthier in the long run. RNY is the best thing that ever happened to me besides my kids and hubby. Do some more research, it will help you through this. I also have never had dumping syndrome and can eat what I want. I choose to eat very healthy.

Good luck to you!

I found out I had Barrets esophagus during pretests for the sleeve and my doctor wouldn't do the sleeve after that. I had done so much research and was so ready for the sleeve, it felt like a disappointment to get RNY. 7 months post I am so thankful I got bypass. It was the best for me. I too can eat what I want but stick to healthy choices.

I also have barrets esophagus and had RNY 5 months ago. My doctor told me it was the route to go. I haven't had any issues. Losing slow but doing great!

I wanted the sleeve also but after talking with the surgeon we decided bypass was the best choice for me. I had so much time invested in reading about the sleeve & stuff, it was a little scary to change but I think it will be the nest way to go.

I wanted the sleeve also but after talking with the surgeon we decided bypass was the best choice for me. I had so much time invested in reading about the sleeve & stuff, it was a little scary to change but I think it will be the nest way to go.

I know how you feel :( I am utterly bummed I can't, or should I say, shouldn't have the sleeve. I have been doing research on the sleeve for a year blindly ignoring the fact that I have pretty severe gerd. I would be setting myself up for a very hard recovery and even harder life post op if I continue to lie to myself and my doctor about my reflux.

After reading these threads, I have chosen to take the correct path and choosing what will be successful not what I want. I want the sleeve... Cheaper! More popular!

However.....I NEED the RNY. I feel sad, now I'm moving from all the sleeve forums, and the sleeve FB groups and the sleeve thus and that, to joining the RNY pre-op family. Feels scary but in the long run, I do not want to harm myself or my success by making a dumb decision for something I want instead of what will be safer for me in the long run.

(I am a self paid patient who will be going to mexico)

Edited by Hwndori

I know how you feel :( I am utterly bummed I can't, or should I say, shouldn't have the sleeve. I have been doing research on the sleeve for a year blindly ignoring the fact that I have pretty severe gerd. I would be setting myself up for a very hard recovery and even harder life post op if I continue to lie to myself and my doctor about my reflux.

After reading these threads, I have chosen to take the correct path and choosing what will be successful not what I want. I want the sleeve... Cheaper! More popular!

However.....I NEED the RNY. I feel sad, now I'm moving from all the sleeve forums, and the sleeve FB groups and the sleeve thus and that, to joining the RNY pre-op family. Feels scary but in the long run, I do not want to harm myself or my success by making a dumb decision for something I want instead of what will be safer for me in the long run.

(I am a self paid patient who will be going to mexico)

I felt the same way leaving the sleeve support groups, etc. I was so freaked out about the rerouting process of the bypass but now that my surgery is 15 days away I'm just excited! If it helps my surgeon said he can fix a leak /problem better in the bypass than sleeve. :-)