Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I always thought it would be interesting if people posted about their pre-op diets and how they feel each day- etc. So i'm going to do it, if anything for my own source of a diary.

My Pre-Op Diet: March 6- March 19th.

I am supposed to drink 5 shakes ( I am using GNC Lean shake 25)

I must drink 64 Oz of Plain Water

I can have gatoraide, poweraide and flavored water but they do not count toward my 64oz.

I can have up to 2 cups of chicken broth per day.

1/2 cup of sugar free Jello per day.

Sugar free Ice Pops

1 container of sugar free pudding per day.

I have to have my first Protein Shake within an hour of waking up, and then the other 4 every 3 hours after that.

i have to stay within 800-1000 calories.

Day 1:

I had the GNC Lean Shake 25 Swiss chocolate Flavor on my way to work. It wasn't bad. (7:30am)

I also had 24oz of water flavored with Kroger ORange Boost Water Flavoring w/ Caffine ( i'm allowed to drink this to battle headaches, but only 1 a day)

at 11:30 I tried to get down the GNC Lean Shake 25 vanilla bean Flavor. No bueno. I must not be a vanilla person. Good thing I only bought a 4 pack! I got about 3/4 of the way down. and i'm now working on my first 24oz of plain water.

I feel nauseous because EVERYTHING is so sweet and i'm not in the mood for chicken broth. My next shake is at 1:30. I will update this evening once I have all of the shakes in.

I start mine next Wednesday, will be interesting for sure. Good luck!!

Day one Continued:

After my third Protein shake, I was to nauseous to drink anymore. But I still got the minimum 80 grams of Protein in that i could have.

After work I crashed and slept for about 3 hours. I woke up and felt worse. I ended up having some Lipton chicken Noodle Soup, and i scooped out most of the noodles.

Day 2:

I had a symposium for work this morning. I can't stomach the sweet Protein shakes. So I ended up adding a couple of frozen strawberries to my protein and blending it this morning to cut the sweetness.

I was around people eating Breakfast and I didn't flinch. HORRIBLE headaches, though!

post-244683-14257375270645_thumb.jpg

Preop diet day 1

post-244683-14257375523635_thumb.jpg post-244683-14257375632475_thumb.jpg

Pre-op diet day 2

Day 2 Continued:

I was good at my work event, and I didn't cheat. Last night sucked. My boyfriend ended up eating Wendy's at my apartment. I stayed satisfied but it was my head that started to get to me. I had a popcicle last night which was good.

Day 3:

I woke up today 4.2 lbs smaller! My boyfrienda nd I had a crazy busy day and a family party. I made a Protein shake before we went shopping. And on the way home we stopped at Frisch's Big Boy. I asked for just the broth from the vegtable Soup. Which was SO good. :) We then went to a family party and were there for 5 hours, I totally did okay with everyone around me eating, but I didn't think we were going to be there as late as we were. So I took no Protein. It's 8:00 at night and I only have about 42 grams of protein in :( I'm going to have another shake before bed.. But i'm going to chalk tonight up to a HUGE fail.

No failures. Get back on tomorrow.

I did SO much better after the second or third day. I do not like the sweetness of premade Protein Drinks. i have to use the Protein Powder with a blender or shaker bottle. I add flavorings, etc. I guess I like the control of changing it up. My daughter and i don't like the sweetness of premade shakes. Maybe if you thin them down with Water, they won't taste so sweet. Check out Bariatric foodie for ideas on FB or her blog. If you like savory more than sweet, try unflavored Protein powder, or the protein Soup mixes. Also, Syntrax Nectar drinks come in fruit flavors and they are really good and not milk based. I wish you the best! You can do it!

you can try unflavored plain Protein powder and put it in your broth or such and will not be sweet. that works for me

What brand of sugar free Popsicles are you using? I've been looking through my local grocery stores trying to to find some. It sounds like we have very similar pre op diets!

Day 4:

This by far was the HARDEST day before me. I cried because i wanted to chew something. So i started chewing gum. I emailed my nutritionist yesterday and she was less than helpful. So I spent most of the night sulking. Lol. I'm not proud of my night last night, but whatever. I wanted a piece of plain grilled chicken SO bad.. but I didn't have one.

Day 5:

Today has been MUCH better. I'm definately staying on track today. I have been having 1 container of sugar free pudding a day, which I thought was allowed- and apparently it isn't. So no more of that as of today. Which stinks! That pudding helped me. I bought some of the Atkins Cafe Carmel shakes, and mixed in a teaspoon of the Torani sugar free salted carmel sugar and blended it with ice. I think tomorrow i'm just going to pour it over ice for iced coffee. I've had my two Jello cups here at work today and I drank my lunch Protein, I had a premier Protein shake. I work in a hospital with a cafeteria full of amazing food- so being at work is hard. As if this morning, I am down a total of 6.6lbs!

What brand of sugar free Popsicles are you using? I've been looking through my local grocery stores trying to to find some. It sounds like we have very similar pre op diets!

I bought the sugar free popcicle brand with the grape, orange and cherry. Blech. They are to sweet and they taste very artifically sweetened. I didn't like them. SOOOO I bought the outshine sugar free popcicles in strawberry, tangerine and raspberry. They have 10 more calories and 2 more carbs, but i'm not going over my daily calories or cabs by eating 1-2 a day!

I'm on day 6 and I want to eat so badly! I miss the taste and texture of food. Not to mention the comfort and routine.

I'm on day 6 and I want to eat so badly! I miss the taste and texture of food. Not to mention the comfort and routine.

I do too! The only think i wanted to do the last few days is to crunch something! :( It's weird because i'm not actually craving anything unhealthy. I would take carrots and cottage cheese if it meant I got to eat something. A lot of people say that it becomes recoutine and they don't care about food after day 3-4. That has NOT been the case for me. In fact the last few days my cravings have gotten worse.

I went to visit my surgeon today for my final appointment and he said i'm going through my "carb flu" now. I don't feel well at all and i'm finally in ketosis. He said this shall pass in a day or two now.

'Carb flu' sounds about right I'm craving rye toast, today at work I smelled English muffins and nearly keeled over. I've also been feeling very lethargic, weak and with no energy at all. I'm waiting for this to end and my regular energy levels to return. Id also read it would be 3-4 days in but it's not the case for me either!

I nearly caved today. I wanted to just hold a corn chip in my mouth.... Sounds so pathetic but it was a struggle for me. Goes to show how much food has been a focus in my life.