Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting over.....

Hi Everyone,

I had gastric bypass surgery on 11/4/2012. I weighed 242 pounds at my heaviest (I'm 5 foot 2). I managed to lose quite a bit of weight and got down to 156 pounds. My goal weight was (and still is) 145lbs. Then I started gaining. First it was 5lbs. Then 10lbs. Finally I'd gained 30 pounds and topped out at 184 pounds. I felt like I had wasted my one shot at this. For me it was a combination of things. First was disappointment. I'd lost a lot of weight but not enough from my midsection. I had people asking if I was pregnant. I was smaller all over with this round belly. I couldn't get rid of it and started to think: "Why try?". Then the depression started. I have bipolar disorder and spiraled into a depressive state that I couldn't get out of. I ate everything and anything. I drank sugary drinks, drank with my meals, quit taking my Vitamins, and just gave up. I couldn't do it because I no longer cared. Finally my doctor and I found the right combination of meds and it was like waking up. I was alert and in a positive mood and could finally see what I'd done to myself. 30 pounds in one year. So I started over. Since then I've managed to lose 9 pounds mainly by changing my diet. I started slow. Fix a plate of food something I'd normally eat. Eat half of it. Put the fork down. Now I'm watching what I eat. I cut out all of the drinks but Water (occasionally I'll have fruit juice 1/2 juice 1/2 water), no sugary Snacks, no salty ones either. I've started exercising again. I'm eating my Protein and taking my vitamins. I'm trying. It's hard. But I've managed to lose 9 pounds so far and I'm down to 175 again. I think that I've streched my pouch. I'm almost completely positive that I have but there's nothing I can do about that now. All I can do is try my best. I'm hoping I can drop another 10 pounds pretty quickly. Then I think it will get hard and I'll start to have to fight for every pound. But, I did this to myself. So I've got to start over and get to where I want to be. I almost wasted my one shot. But I'm starting over.

Hi there! Sorry to hear that you have been struggling.i am glad to hear you have come out on the other side and are doing something about it. Great job on dropping some weight.

Have you tried googling the pouch test? I know you are worried that you stretched your pouch out but I understand the pouch test will help reset things for you if you are willing to give it a try.

I am so glad to hear your bi polar is back in check and you are recovering nicely.

I wish you all the best!

Thanks so much. I came back to this site because of all the support that's readily available here. I saw the pouch test online just two days ago. I'm going to give it a shot. It definitely can't hurt. And anything that help me get back on track I'd worth a shot. I think I'll try it next week. It's easier for me to not think about food when I'm at work. When I'm not busy I feel the hunger more than I do when I'm at work. Thanks for the encouragement and the tip!

I am glad to hear that work helps. I was layed off from my job after 26 years there last April. I had to put my home up for sale and we are moving back to our hometown area of Milwaukee. We are currently in Minneapolis. It took 9 months to sell our home, it is a large property on 3 acres. Anyway, I did not want to get a job until we moved so I have been home since surgery in September.

When you are home it is so easy to hit the fridge or pantry. I am hoping to get work soon after moving so I too can not think about the temptations in my kitchen. The good news for me is I eat pretty healthy but I wonder how much better my progress could be if I was at work.

Thanks for the affirmation!

I have experienced a 30 pound weight gain. today I am starting Protein shake diet to get back on track.

I have been as heavy as 286 I'm grateful but the gain is messing with my head and wardrobe

I know the feeling. Not being able to fit into my size 8 jeans was like a slap in the face. But I'm trying and I'll get back there. So will you!

Welcome back! It is a wonderful thing that you are back in a stable place and are getting yourself back on track. You can do this, just hang in there!