Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Submitted my claim to insurance and now I'm rethinking this whole thing...

So I've been working for months to get all the tests and diet done for insurance and it's finally been submitted. I literally had everything done and submitted on day 90 of my diet. Now I'm really beginning to question if I want to have VSG. Let me start by saying that I am doing this for the sole purpose of getting healthy. I just turned 27 and I have a BMI of 47. I found out something was going on with my liver because they found some "spots" on it when I had a CT for a unrelated issue. And of coarse the first thing that anyone thinks when they see spots on a live is "are they tumors?" After they told me this I went to the first WLS meeting available because it scared me so much to think that I could not be around for my 2 year old daughter. She is my motivation for being healthy and really for everything I do. It took months to finally find out that yes they are tumors but I'm very lucky that they are benign but I do also have fatty liver disease. I have tried several diets over the years and failed. I know that by loosing the weight now I'm preventing soooo many life threatening complications. I want to set a better example for my daughter and be able to keep up with her. These are the reasons that have been pushing me to get this surgery done. I considered LapBand but my Hepatologist doesn't recommend it and my mom had it about a year ago and hers already prolapsed.

Before all this happened with my liver I was a foodie and really still am. I love everything about food. I love to cook, try new things at restaurants, and I also do baking/cake decorating as a hobby. I really don't mind being overweight. Yes I do want to loose some weight because it has gotten a little out of control but never have I wanted to be skinny. And the thought of getting down to 120 lbs which is what is considered normal for my height scares me! I don't want to have a bunch of saggy skin and I love being curvy. I love my hips, boobs, and butt. My fiance loves curvy women and is also a foodie thought he's lucky to have a fast metabolizem. I don't want to be a skeleton with saddle bags of skin. So now I have the horrible idea in my head that I'm just not going to be happy after surgery. And what's the point of living a longer life if your not really enjoying it? Giving up my Pepsi and Taco Bell makes me sad and add being in a body that I don't love, and giving up baking all my favorite treats makes me almost depressed. Yeah I know it's what got me here but I can't help but feel this way. I can find the time to become more active, take my Vitamins, get the Protein I need daily, but to give up my fried food and sweets completely UGH! Will there ever be a time where I can go to taco bell and get a taco or to the cheesecake factory and eat a piece of cheesecake? The doctors are making it seem like if I even try to eat these things that I will dump and be sick. Yeah I know I can't eat this crap every day but I'd like to know that on my birthday I can go to my favorite restaurant and get whatever I want even if I can only eat a few bites. I'm really struggling with this. I know it sounds silly to most people but I literally am having anxiety right now just thinking about it. You guys on this board are great and always know what to say so I'm counting on you guys :)

I so understand your fears. I started the VSG journey last July and then completely freaked out and stopped the process. In Feb. I started the process over and I am already freaking out again. I also love food and almost get sad thinking about not being able to sit down with a carton of Edys and devouring the entire thing. I realize this is why I am in the position to need WLS. The sagging skin thing is probably the biggest reason I halted the first go round. I am horrified it!

Well the good thing is you don't HAVE to go through with it. That's totally up to you at this point. I'm kinda confused on why your surgeon would be saying your going to have dumping syndrome from VSG surgery? Yes it's possible but not very likely. As far as giving up everything (food ect) I can't think of one thing I had to completely give up (Besides carbonation and I know people who find ways around that. I just don't) the whole point is creating a sleeve to help reduce the amount of food you can eat..not I eliminate food all together. Of course there are a ton of things you just probably shouldn't eat just for the fact that they aren't any good For you fat or skinny. Does it change your life? Of course it does. Thats kinda the point. If you are healthy now, love your body, and everything's great then sure, why change it. But I'm betting it's not seeing as how you've made it this far through the process. Get out a pen and paper and make your self a list of the pros and cons. See which one out weighs the other. But remember to use FACTS about each not assumptions. Good luck with your decision!

everyone goes through the"do i really want to give up my big mac, or five guys or whatever" stage. thats why you have psych consults, you have to work ay getting past food as a comfort inducing thing and get to it as a life thing, to make the transition from eat to live instead of live to eat, is a terribly hard emotional journey. But i can say this, you CAN do it. After almost al my posts you will see me post that "You Can Do This! " tag its just my way of reinforcing the fact that we can all accomplish this if we truly want it and give our all to it. I know deep inside you can do it if you set your mind and body to it. The results are indescribable

. I am two months post op and between my preop and surgery i am getting very close to losing my first hundred pounds. and i had my surgery on December 16th . Im not saying youll get these results but yesterday i went to the gym, I used to walk with two canes, one in a bag folded up just in case i had to stand for more than 10 minutes, and one i used just to walk. Now yesterday i rode 5 miles on the exercise bike, then went and did 1/2 hour circuit training, then i went and walked through three stores , i walked a total of almost 2 miles, no cane, n almost no discomfort at all. i went from a 5xl shirt to currently a 2x and from 4xl pants to an XL. what you can accomplish is all up to you, but deep down if you want it, you can get it of that there is no doubt. and we will be here to help , the people here are very good at helping you keep going.

You Can Do This!

Edited by Stevehud

See @@Elode that's what I thought! That I'd overtime be able to eat whatever I wanted just make healthier choices. Leave off the bun, get grilled instead of fried, less carbs, ect. But when I went to a pre-op class the other day they were saying that fried food, sweets, and fruit juice all caused dumping. And that they recommend we never eat those again! I almost died right! See I think the problem is that the doctors are telling me that it's going to be hard enough getting the Water and Protein everyday that I'm not going to have room for much else and I never supposed to eat anything with too much fat or carbs because it would cause dumping. Just eating 10 oz of Protein a day and drinking 64 oz of Water for the rest of my life sounds miserable! This is what made me so scared that maybe I can't do this or it's not right for me.

See @@Elode that's what I thought! That I'd overtime be able to eat whatever I wanted just make healthier choices. Leave off the bun, get grilled instead of fried, less carbs, ect. But when I went to a pre-op class the other day they were saying that fried food, sweets, and fruit juice all caused dumping. And that they recommend we never eat those again! I almost died right! See I think the problem is that the doctors are telling me that it's going to be hard enough getting the Water and Protein everyday that I'm not going to have room for much else and I never supposed to eat anything with too much fat or carbs because it would cause dumping. Just eating 10 oz of Protein a day and drinking 64 oz of Water for the rest of my life sounds miserable! This is what made me so scared that maybe I can't do this or it's not right for me.

I absolutely see where you're coming from. I think that eating should be an enjoyable experience. It should not hurt. It should not be painful. It should not cause vomiting or sliming. We should eat healthy foods we like and not be forced to eat healthy foods we don't like (for me that would be cheese and yogurt - yuck!). And we should be able to eat normal food but much less of it. Isn't that what these weight loss surgeries are supposed to help us do? Make it easier to eat less food. Not make eating into some kind of stressful situation. Choose wisely, get some exercise. If your doctor say there can be dumping then believe them. The fact that some on here have never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Now imagine where I am - low BMI of 35 with (in doctor's words) maybe "up to 45 lbs" to lose with sleeve (I currently have the band), am 64 years old and won't be able to take NSAIDS for my chronic pain, and their website says "unless you are morbidly obese, the risks of bariatric surgery outweighs the benefits of weight loss"

I am not morbidly obese, my weight doesn't prevent me from doing things (my back problems do) and have been struggling with this dilemma and have posted on here in several threads.

I don't think you are ready. WLS will still be here - this is not a limited time offer. If you do decide to proceed, you don't "have" to get to 120 - you are in the drivers seat here.

I was "healthy fat" until I wasn't and then my body started falling apart on me, but I was mid 40s by that time. I hated being fat and I LIKE being trim/fit but it took me becoming partially disabled by my obesity to be ready to committ to this. This is a big freaking deal and I can't fathom doing it without being "all in"

Oh, I can eat any and all foods, I don't vomit, slime or any of that. Unless a person has a complication, those are very much behaviorally controlled by the way you eat. At 3 years out, most people don't even know I had WLS because I eat petite portions of all types of food, like other thin middle aged women do.

@@Vad1988 Ha! No honey I think they may have you a little confused about the process. Yes, more than likely in the beginning (first few weeks give or take everyone is different) you probably will be just focusing on Protein and liquids. I don't know what your post op diet is but for me I was on Clear Liquids 3 days, thickened liquids a week, another week of purée/soft foods and then on to regular foods as tolerated. I am 4 months post op as of today. I eat protein foods first always and then if I have any room left I eat veggies ect..I myself can only eat maybe 4-6 bits of food depending on what it is,then I'm full. I know in the pre op stage it's hard to even imagine something like that. In my situation I don't have hunger anymore,as in no feelings Of wanting food. I eat because I know I need to and food taste good when I eat it but it's not something I have desire for, if that makes any sense? Not everyone is like me after surgery though. I feel "lucky" to not feel the hunger anymore after YEARS of over eating And being hungry an hour later....always! I am also probably different in the fact that I don't feel this lifestyle is "hard" at all. I guess I adapted really quickly (also not having hunger plays a huge part in that I'm sure). I just take it day by day. Focus on my protein, Vitamins, fluids and live my normal life. I don't weigh myself constantly, I just let my body do its job and I do my part I the nutrition area to help it along. I hope this helps? You we read over and over again that your results could/will be different so take what you can from comments but don't base your projected outcome on mine or anyone else's. This will be YOUR personal journey and it specially Correlates with you, your body and your efforts. It's FABULOUS and it can really change your life for the better if you so chose.

@@Vad1988 Oh and I would also like to point out the fact that I didn't say dumping NEVER happens What I said was it's possible but no very likely. In other words the people (VSG) that don't have it to the few that do is far,few and In between. Do your research! Patients who Have gastric bypass are at a much greater risk of having dumping, and even that varies. They are correct by telling you any complications that could arise from WLS it's their job to make sure your informed but I wouldn't base my sole decision on a possibility of dumping. It's a lot to consider,it's a major surgery so do as much research as you can! I would also like to point out that while I don't eat much at once I am able to eat anything I've wanted so far without any issues.

The beginning is tough, there is a learning curve for sure. But I know some people over a year out, and they can eat whatever they want, just not in large quantities. You do not have to be a stick figure when you are done, you control that. I am approaching week 2 post op. I have had zero complications. No nausea, or vomitting. I am not hungry. It is tough getting all the fluids in. But, I know it will get better. I already feel healthier.

If you aren't ready, you aren't ready. Plain and simple. My suggestion would be to do it, based on the health issues that are headed your way. But, you gotta be ready. :) I wish you the best! :)

i wasnt ready to take this step for the longest time then i saw my wedding pictures last year and i was embarrased i hated them so im getting the surgery and my present from my in-laws is retaking the important pictures in my dress that i still have in my closet. but if your not ready then take your time deciding because this is a forever decision not something to be made on a whim

When I feel like you do, this quote reels me back in "Every time you think about quitting, Think about and remember why you started"... that pretty much does it for me. Good luck.