Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The invention that could end obesity?

I read most of it and could not see what they do after removal of the device at six months. Not intended to be permanent. I can lose weight. Keeping it off required WLS for me.

Interesting concept. It will take years to get reliable data.

If I had a choice between the two (implanted stent device or VSG) I'd still want the life long tool (VSG).

@JustWatchMe that's what I feel too. I think something like this would be too new to have conclusive results on. And I'm not fond of the idea of having a foreign object in my body that has to be removed all the time. Not wanting a foreign object is why I didn't want to have a gastric band. What if I get tired of having to go in and have it removed and reinstalled? What if I move away and there's no doctor nearby that can perform the procedure? Too many questions for me. Not that bypass is the best method, but between me and my doc it's what we think is best for me, and they've been doing it for over 30 years with a very low mortality rate.

"If it aint broke..."

I already have the sleeve and it works, so anything else is moot. ;)

I don't see how this is different from the balloons and other techniques that already exist to give people a sensation of "fullness". For years they have been using temporary non-surgical methods to help bariatric patients get down to a weight where it is safe for them to have surgery, but always with the goal that they WILL have surgery at some point. A temporary device like this might help for rapid weight loss, but it does nothing for weight maintenance, since it must be removed after 6 months, just like the balloons.

I think it's safe to say that MANY of us are perfectly capable of losing considerable weight "on our own" (medical conditions notwithstanding), but the real trick is maintenance. I know they call it Weight Loss Surgery, but, for me I have always thought of it as Weight Maintenance Surgery.

Very interesting article.

It was an interesting article. I guess now it is wait and see. I am guessing that maintenance after removal would be the biggest issue. They would have to resolve that before they can call it successful.

Medical device companies have been working for years on weight loss devices. I work for one of the companies listed. I've seen what we and the other competitors are doing in r&d. It's fascinating science. But there's a reason the FDA hasn't approved any of the implantables yet.

Medical device companies have been working for years on weight loss devices. I work for one of the companies listed. I've seen what we and the other competitors are doing in r&d. It's fascinating science. But there's a reason the FDA hasn't approved any of the implantables yet.

Ok I'll bite. ????

The FDA requires safety and efficacy. Which means not only does it have to be safe, but it must be effective. Efficacy isn't causing rapid weight loss for a few months. It's got to be longer than that. Also, the benefits have to outweigh the risks (that's why drugs get approved despite the sometimes nasty side effects). I can't speak to the device in the article, but it's possible the side effects might not be worth it in its current design. I haven't worked on the device so I don't know.

I think its marvelous. Gonna call and see if i can get in on a study. As the Mexican surgeon A. Ortiz, said regarding the successful use of the endolumenal balloon in his practice, speaking of endolumenal type devices .... in future years, the bariatric surgery performed now will be considered quite primitive.

Me personally, I don't mind getting it put in and put out multiple times... a 10 minute procedure done out patient.. if i can avoid getting my stomach cut out and tossed away permanently. Cool breakthrough. If I can get it, I will. YAY SCIENCE.