Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

duplicate posts abound!

I don't know why, but over the last month or so, it seems like the duplicate posts have just exploded. sometimes when i log in, and the banner on the right of "recent posts" has half a dozen or more of the same post over and over. Sometimes they are exactly the same and sometimes they are not but I suspect most are due to technical hiccups... perhaps people posting from their phones? Anyway, that is my rant.

I agree. The ones I see the most are from newbies posting their questions multiple times. I haven't checked but as I'm typing this I'm starting to wonder if they are perhaps posting their question in multiple forums to make sure they get an answer??

Rant away, you are justified!

Yeah, I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm a web developer, so it seems like a pretty easy fix to just not accept duplicate posts in the first place or put a time restriction on how quickly a user an post again after posting.

Drives me nuts. There is a rule against cross-posting here and I really wish the mods would actually enforce it. I do think a fair amount is some sort of technical hiccup that could be addressed via the methods @@JamieLogical suggests.

I had this happen to me this morning. I only hit post once and it posted twice. I was posting from a computer not a phone.

Well, I know some of them are intentional cross posts because I actually investigated one of them (I think a mod did remove some of them later) and the same message was in 6 different forums. I admit, those are the ones that irritate me the most because i do really try to respond to newbies sometimes too (frankly most vets don't) and when i have to sift through all that I am less inclined to try.

I am also sure most of it is simply a hiccup... and they are unintended multiple posts. . Jamie, I like your suggestion - perhaps making it directly to Alex as a possible enhancement to the site would help with some of this?

"recent posts" has half a dozen or more of the same post over and over.

@@CowgirlJane

I say off with their heads :D

i do think newbies (no offense) make a post, or start a thread

"it" might not come/ up immediately :(

the post might not notr right away :(

so the person might think they need to push button again to finally see the post :(

"God Grant Me Patience Just Hurry About It ;) "

i also have seen a thread started

then another thread was started, because they didn't get a response from their other thread they posted?? :wacko:

i agree that it would be nice if moderator could fix situation

but....i know they are busy running around the board

and maybe there are sooo many duplicate posts/rthreads

it is hard to keep up :o

Maybe @@Alex Brecher could help out

it is a pain when this situation happens :angry:

good luck to all of us ;)

kathy

Kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

As a newbie I also find it annoying. May I so add a rant that I get frustrated by posts under the wrong forum? Sorry I'm an organizational nut. Is there a way for either the thread creator to move it the the appropriate section once it's been posted? Or must these sort of issues be brought to a moderator for them to adjust it?

Thanks vets!

@Alex I think there is a glitch here. A person that I thought was posting to a million forums to get answers did not intend to do that. what happened was from the phone it kept telling her that it failed/didn't post so she kept trying different places to post. It wasnt until seeing it on the computer that she realized that in spite of the error messages they were actually posting.

Even though my name says host, the only forum I can do anything in is the veterans forum so I am not really sure what is possible in terms of putting stuff in right forums. I guess I am generally tolerant of miscatagorization but the duplicate posts issue has really increased in the last month or two.. so I do think it is something going on with the site.

On this subject, I wish folks posting a general question or comment that's not specific to a particular surgery type would put it in the general forums and not sleeve forums, etc. I like to see posts about NSVs and universal issues, but I don't want to scan the sleeve forums for them since I'm a bander.

Thanks to everyone for reporting these issues. I've noticed the issue over the last few weeks as well. We're actively pursuing a permanent fix and I'll update this topic once it's in place. In the interim, please us the REPORT button to report any duplicate topics or posts.

There's nothing we can do about cross-posts, except delete them.

@@CowgirlJane I've changed settings for all moderators. You can now manage topics and posts across all forums. Thank you very much for your ongoing assistance!

Also, I wish I was able but I don't read every topic posted. Please tag me in your post next time so I'm made aware of any site issues or you can post to the forum which discusses site issues and problems. I follow that forum and receive an instant notice for any topics posted.

Please post url's for any duplicate posts or topics you come across to this topic or send me a PM. This will assist us greatly.

@Alex I just deleted about half dozen fresh duplicates. You want them reported instead so they can be I investigated?

@Alex I just deleted about half dozen fresh duplicates. You want them reported instead so they can be I investigated?

Report and then delete em please.

Also, @alex doesn't work. It's @Alex Brecher :D

Happens to me all the time. My computer doesn't like this site. Sometimes when I hit post it shows up 2x in a row and I don't see an option to delete the extra one, only to edit.

Edited by bikrchk