Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control post op

I just started depo, but not for birth control. After I got the shot, I read up on the side effects and the weight gain is really a potential problem. I am going to do the implant as soon as this shot wears off.

I am currently on depo and have been since January 2012. I haven't had my period since then so really what's there not to like. I may have gained weight because of the depo but I honestly never blamed the depo I just figured it was me. Try searching "depo" among existing forums for some more feedback.

Edited by sunflowerchild

I'm very nervous about the weight gain too and hence the reason I am hesitant! I know there's many options, I'm aware of the pill (just not thrilled to add another one to my pile... I had a post op GI bleed and currently on soooo many meds!) I also am uncertain what I can take due to have the bleed...

I went into the doctor a few weeks ago because I had not had a period since I stopped by BC pills before my surgery. Turns out I went through menopause sometime without even knowing it. Yay me!

I am so jealous! I am 4 months post op and had to start depo Provera because my periods are so heavy and painful! I beg for menopause!

FYI, depo is known to cause depression in a lot of women. I was never depressed before in my life, and after the second shot was nearly suicidal. And I gained 15lbs in a month. Never did it again.

I know have a Mirena IUD which is a MUCH lower dose of hormones. No complaints.

Also, oral BCP are not as effective after bypass, from what I read.

I was concerned about weight gain with the depo (slightly concerned about reaction as well)... I did hear the same thing about the pill and would not like to take the chance finding out. LOL

I was advised against the iud because I do not have any kids and issues with placement when you do not have children. I am concerned about putting more hormones into my body as well as side effects. I have thought about the nexplanon implant, but no long term studies, which makes me nervous too. I had a weird dream that it grew out of my arm and I ended up with cancer, dramatic yes!! My cousin also had the implant and ended up with thyroid issues, another friend bled out and became anemic with the implant, everyone is different, but nothing I want to go through!

I'm kind of at a stand still with what form to use. The obvious of abstinence and condoms, but I want to make absolute sure and double up. So much to consider!!

I was advised against the iud because I do not have any kids and issues with placement when you do not have children.

I believe those guidelines have changed recently. They are now saying it is a good option for women with no children. As for placement, I HIGHLY recommend a cervical block. Not all doctors do that, but it helps a LOT. I had someone try without that first and it was really painful, and my cervix had closed up a lot and was hard to manage. I went to a different doctor that did a cervical block and it was a piece of cake. The hormones are very very minmal, fractions of a percent less than in the implant or depo, from what I understand.

I had the Mirena IUD done. It will last 5 years. No problems so far. I don't have a period no weight gain for me. Everything seems to be good. I have had it for 3 months now.

I'm back on the pill as of today. I was on it before and had no problems. I was also had an IUD and loved that as well. I may get that placed on my next OBGYN visit. But for now it's another pill.

I'm on the pill. My surgeon advised me that I will be fine as far as effectiveness goes.

Nuva ring!! I've had mine for probably 5 years or more. It's inserted in the vagina and left there for 3 weeks, then you take it out for one and have a period and then put a new one in at the end of the week. Or I actually leave mine in for 4 weeks and insert a new one at 4 weeks and skip my period. Its wonderful! I don't have to remember to take a pill and don't have to have anything implanted in my arm, though I have though about it. I don't feel my Nuva ring and my boyfriend says it doesn't bother him when we're together. I had an IUD in the past and my body rejected it after a month and I ended up with PID(pelvic inflammatory disease). I recommend the Nuva ring to everyone and it's covered by insurance (has to be because of the health care law).