Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sugar vs real sugar

Awesome!!! I would love to read your report! I totally agree with everything your saying, that's why I'm concerned about consuming artificial sugars.

Afternoon....

What a great topic. I have actually written up a report on Sugar versus Artificial Sugars. It is a proven fact that artificial sweetners cause Cancer.

I also performed a study where I had diabetic eat sugar-free products and then take their blood sugars two hours later and those results proved that their levels were "way too high". Then I would have them, on another day, eat regular sugar and take their levels. Those levels were within normal ranges.

You really have to watch what you eat, drink, use for bathroom products, because most items have artificial sweetners in them. Even the Stevia, unless you are eating the leaf directly, it is a process sugar.

I have had alot of my diabetic, surgery, and regular friends stop taking artificial sweetners and the feel so much better. Once I have also told them that it is a proven fact that it causes Cancer, they stop.

As long as you listen to your dietician and eat a product that has only 8 or less grams of sugar, you should be fine. I had my surgery in November and I continue to loose weight and I do not eat anything that states "Sugar-Free".

Annamarie

Perfect! Im scared of eating real sugar and not being able to loose all I can really loose. Which Proteins did you find that didn't contain artificial sugar?

Isopure Unflavored. It's 100% pure whey Protein with no added flavors or dyes or sugars. I add it to regular food. My Protein shake in the morning may be FAGE greek yogurt with a scoop of Isopure, a tbsp of almond butter, ¼ cop of Water blended in the nutra bullet or something similar.

That's awesome and motivating to hear! I really dislike artificial sugar!!! Ive never had raw honey....I'm going to have to try that!!!

It depends on the person. I don't do any artificial sugars. I am allergic to them and stevia. I use Isopure Naked whey as my Protein powder. I use FAGE 0% Greek plain and add my own fruit. I do occasionally use real sugar, but my main sweetener of choice is raw honey. However I do not use it often. I might have honey 2 or 3 times a month.

I cannot speak for anyone but myself. Processed foods and artificial sugars trigger my allergies and make me severely ill. You can eat a bariatric diet and not eat those products but it will be challenging. It is working for me. I have shown a loss everytime I go to the doctor.

Perfect! Im scared of eating real sugar and not being able to loose all I can really loose. Which Proteins did you find that didn't contain artificial sugar?

Raw Protein, Raw Fit and Jay Robb all use Stevia. Spirutein uses fructose. There were also several whey Protein powders with no artificial sweeteners listed on the nutrition express website, but I never tried them. As for unflavored, I used unjury.....whey protein isolate and soy lecithin. I rarely actually add sweetener to anything, but when I do I use raw honey (my friend's dad is a beekeeper, so I get it straight from the hive...yum,) Monk Fruit, or just plain sugar.

I had stocked up on Mio, dasani and crystal light Water flavorings but ended up throwing them out postop because they hurt my sleeve. That cleared up after about 4 months, but even though the artificial sweeteners don't upset my tummy anymore, I dislike the taste. I can, however, drink the Syntrax Nectars if I add a touch of real fruit juice to mask the artificial flavor. And I like most of the the Premier, Muscle Milk, Quest and Syntha6 shakes even though they have artificial sweeteners.

I dont do the artificial sweetner, SF nor FF stuff. its either organic RAW sugar for us or stevia . an for the snack bars or nature bars of some organically less processed no more then 10gm real sugar per serving here according to my NUT. an I still dont follow mainstream NUTs much. they are still teaching old school diets an we go beyond. the artificial ingrediants in the SF an FF items make you crave it more..messes with insilun so we just avoid it.my first few wks I did keep the SF popcicles around but I swear after having a few of them I was done. made me really really thirsty.

There is a Protein Drink with absolutely no artificial sweeteners and is good for you. My surgeon and I searched until we found one I could drink because I have an allergy to artificial sweeteners. It is called Spiri-tein. There are many different flavors and they are tasty.

There is artificial sweeteners in alot of products our there, even toothpaste and mouthwash. There are many different names for these sweeteners: Stevia, Truvia, Aspartame, etc.....just make sure you do your research before using a product. Especially if have allergies.

I can't eat a lot of sweets because of my Pre-Diabetic state; however when I do need to sweeten something I use Raw Honey and Sugar in the Raw. Good luck! :)

@@Tauruslady5 - True stevia is not an artificial sweetener. It's an herb made from the stevia plant. It will be green because it's the stevia leaf dried and powdered. However it is in the ragweed family so if you are allergic to ragweed or have seasonal allergies you may not be able to use. it.

Spiri-tein uses Xylitol to sweeten which is a plant based sugar.

I had surgery on Sept 14, 2014 and have NEVER had one drop of artificail sweetner. I can't even chew gum with artificial sweetners, I have always hated the taste. If I want a pop/soda I drink a normal one, I don't drink a lot of pop/soda, but rather enjoy carbonized mineral Water with lemon. I don't use margarine, I use butter, I don't use artificial sweeteners, I use sugar. This is just me, no puddings, popsicles, nothing with fake sugar did I ever eat or will I ever. I had a hard time drinking Water out of surgery so I drank sweetened ice tea and Tang to get some fluids in, but never Crystal light or anything like that. You have to do what works best for you.

Afternoon....

What a great topic. I have actually written up a report on Sugar versus Artificial Sugars. It is a proven fact that artificial sweetners cause Cancer.

I also performed a study where I had diabetic eat sugar-free products and then take their blood sugars two hours later and those results proved that their levels were "way too high". Then I would have them, on another day, eat regular sugar and take their levels. Those levels were within normal ranges.

You really have to watch what you eat, drink, use for bathroom products, because most items have artificial sweetners in them. Even the Stevia, unless you are eating the leaf directly, it is a process sugar.

I have had alot of my diabetic, surgery, and regular friends stop taking artificial sweetners and the feel so much better. Once I have also told them that it is a proven fact that it causes Cancer, they stop.

As long as you listen to your dietician and eat a product that has only 8 or less grams of sugar, you should be fine. I had my surgery in November and I continue to loose weight and I do not eat anything that states "Sugar-Free".

Annamarie

I've been saying this since the 80's.Artiical anything is not good for you. Artificial sweeteners have been proven to cause cancer in lab rats. I'm eating sugar free pops for now, because that's what my post op instructions say, but once I'm back on real food, I will throw them out

I keep reading this thread and saying im not going to get involved, but man, all I can say is, some people need to stop trying to "sell" their brand of BS on here its really irresponsible. By the way it could very well be construed as criminally negligent, and very libelous.

Taurus lady, and I say this with all intent and truth, . you are the worst kind of irresponsible. If I had my way you would be up on charges for practicing medicine without a license. It is amazing how many obese people become dr oz after a little bit of knowledge. your line that a diabetic eats sugar and had normal blood sugar levels is stupid. when was their last insulin dose? how much was it? what is their baseline sugar? were they type 1 or type 2? what other meds did they take? what else did they eat or drink? what other factors may disqualify them as a research subject? I worked for a heart surgeon who helped develop transplant procedures still in use today, typing up and coordinating research papers, heck its half the reason I became a paramedic. Your information is GARBAGE. and you should be kicked off of the forums for it. Whats your next irresponsible informational post? GMO's aliens, pyramid power? chakra healing? reiki healing? secret government consipracies?

I have no opinion on Taurus lades unscientific studies except to say that they are not scientific. That said, if anyone thinks things like margarine substitute, one molecule away from plastic or artificial sweeteners are better for you than butter or sugar, you're sadly mistaken. Studies have shown what Taurus lady has stated. I avoid them like the plague.

OMG! Please, yes, EVERYTHING in this whole world causes cancer. And 45 yrs old female who was a vegan with no family history, nursed her baby, was normal weight and exercised regularly dies from breast cancer. A 2 pack a day heavy drinker 87 yr old man dies after falling. Yeah, no lung or throat cancer! The air you are breathing right now can cause cancer! @@Tauruslady5