Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG this pain is freaking me out a little!

I am day 3 post op, and I am having pain in my right upper side! It now even hurts when I press on it when two days ago it did not! I am fine if I don't move but as soon as I go to get up or move, it's quite painful! Is this normal?!? I feel like my anxiety is starting to build over this like did my bowel get twisted or did the stitches internally rip??? I'm going to call the doctors office first thing in the morning but I am reaching out to see if anyone else has this pain and is ok? Oh man I hope I'm ok?? I see so many people who have had little to no pain after surgery and thought I would be the same I tend to have a high tolerance to pain but idk... This is painful :(

I am feeling the same pain in my upper left right under my rib cage. I am 4 days post op and I am very confused about what pain is normal and not normal. You are not alone.

I didn't have pain on the right but I did have it on the left. Don't work yourself into a frenzy, just call the dr. tomorrow morning and explain your issue. Anxiety can definitely add to your problem. The pain should ease up in a week or so. Unfortunately pain is part of the deal but it to shall pass. Let us know what the dr. says.

Thanks ladies! I am definitely calling the doctor in the morning. I checked the symptoms of leakage and the only one I have is the abdominal pain... Otherwise no fever or increased heart rate. I'm urinating and occasionally passing gas. It's probably just a typical pain and becoming intensified from my anxiety! Thanks!!

So when I called the doctors office they said it was perfectly normal, it could be from the way I positioned during surgery and things settling! I woke up feeling much better... The pain is still there, but maybe because my nerves have subsided about it, I find it to be more manageable. I didn't need any pain meds all day until about 15 min ago. I ran light errands with my husband this morning and then went out with him again this afternoon to Home Depot lol I live in New England and the pot holes killed but all in all I'm in much better spirits today! :) thanks for helping me work through the anxiety'

I also was having more pain in my upper right side (compared to everywhere else) and figured it was based on 2 things for me.

1. The post-op drain I had started healing over yet was warm and red, but not much drainage. Once it reopened up, drained and an antibiotic started now feels much better.

2. Gas/bloating. Took Gas-X that melts on the tongue. Pressure gone. :-)

Newmary83. Good to hear this is normal and you're feeling better. I'm in New England also and yes! Potholes!!!! Ugh

Don't mess around a twisted bowel is serious. I'm currently in the hospital. I had to have a exploratory surgery. They found a twisted intestine and my pouch has flipped. They were able to fix it. Thank God. It was very painful. I'm on the mend now.

Yikes, I'm 3 days post op and get stitch like sensations under my left rib cage. Reading posts above I'm feeling a little reassured that this is quite likely normal. Thank you.

Don't mess around a twisted bowel is serious. I'm currently in the hospital. I had to have a exploratory surgery. They found a twisted intestine and my pouch has flipped. They were able to fix it. Thank God. It was very painful. I'm on the mend now.

What were your symptoms??

It could be a number of things, but I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's the gas they pumped you full of to do the surgery. It'll take a bout a week for it all to dissipate, but it's common for it to cause achiness in your chest and shoulders. It affects people to different degrees. Best things to do are to keep walking, use a heating pad for your shoulders, and take GasX. Other than that you just have to wait it out.