Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I searched to find this topic but the ones I found were years old, so I started a new one! Hope that's ok?

I am 2 1/2 weeks out and every time I drink a Protein Shake, I get nauseated, weak, unsteady & exhausted! I can't even function for a couple of hours after I drink them. I've tried different Protein powders (which I dilute with Water, not milk) and several premixed Protein drinks. They all make me feel horrible. I tried drinking it right before bed last night, but the nausea and sweating still kept me up a while. My stomach was growling so loudly I thought I would wake my husband up! REALLY!!!

I don't have problems with anything else!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Well, first of all the good news is that you are almost to the point where you are not going to need to drink Protein shakes any more. My doc/NUT specifically advise eating solids mostly once you can.

Secondly, ask your doctor for anti-nausea meds if you have to continue to use shakes.< /p>

I suggest that you focus on weaning yourself off of shakes altogether as soon as your food plan permits. Use a supplemental unflavored Protein powder in food/drinks if necessary. Don't suffer through the shakes if the rest is settling fine.

Good luck!

Edited by Elizabeth21

I'm also 2 & 1/2 weeks out but I can have eggs, yogurt, Tunafish, chicken salad. I'm not having a problem with Protein Shakes but am enjoying being able to eat. Are you not eating soft foods yet?

I tolerate the powder better when I blend with fruit or fruit juice as I am in full liquid phase. Of course sugar is the trade off but make so I can get my Protein in.

I'm on liquids for a month. Can't wait till 3/4. Most people its seems to be just 2 weeks, I'm jealous ;-)

I am a little over 4 months out and still use Protein shakes often to reach my Protein goals. I had a hard time finding ones that I liked also in the beginning. A few of my favorites are Syntrax powder. My latest favorite is called Roadside Lemonade (23 grams of protein) and it tastes like a watered down crystal light but does not have the protein after taste. Another one that I love is BariWise Protein hot chocolate. I drink this every morning and it has 15 grams of protein. I also found Muscle Milk light at costco and I like these to throw in my purse when I am on the go. This does have more of the protein taste than the other 2 I mentioned. I hope that helps! Good luck to you!

I'm not a huge fan of the Protein shake either...prior to surgery, I drank them all the time and didn't mind the taste...but I guess having no choice about it, and the weird thing with some foods tasting differently now, the Protein shakes didn't make the cut! I'll still choke them down if need be, but what really helped me was discovering the bariatric hot chocolate (I go through bariatric direct, best prices)...they are around 15 grams of Protein and I don't notice the protein taste. I'm not big on using stuff that I can't find around here, but I'm sold on it!

I am six months out and still rely on Protein Shakes. I drank them before surgery, however right after my surgery they made me nauseous. After about three weeks i tolerated them again and now i love them again. Without them I would never ever meet my Protein goals. I use Unjury chocolate splendor and I also use flavorless GENEPRO. You can add Genepro to anything and not taste it. I will probably have to rely on protein shakes the rest of my life in order to obtain the required amount of protein.

I highly recommend the Syntrax nectar to everyone!!! I really wasn't sure how I was going to get through the pre-op Protein shake phase until a friend turned me on to the Syntrax Nectar powder. I can't stand the milky, chocolaty, chalky taste of most Protein shakes. The Syntrax Nectars come in about 15 different flavors and most are fruity flavors. They are so good...not just for Protein Shakes, but they are really good! Most are like a light fruit juice but with 22 grams of protein and no sugar.

Personal favs: strawberry Kiwi and Fuzzy Naval

Don't get me wrong! I like the taste of the shakes, they just make me sick to my stomach, etc. ALL of them!!!

I was never able to drink them either, the taste made me throw up.. I went right to Soups, and things and then solid foods ten days out. My first solid meal was prime rib and brussel sprouts, I chewed lots and it sat just fine with me. Have some Jello, some cottage cheese, pudding, that's what I started eating three days out and it was fine, I also had lots of Soups, any kind I liked, and that got me up to where I could eat solid foods. Do not starve yourself, that will be so much worse, get some food in even if it's a few spoonfuls of Tomato Soup..(I also had a few spoons of ice cream two days out and it tasted so good and didnt bother my stomach).

Edited by Cody's mom

Cody's Mom,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to advance so quickly. I'm beginning to think that I'm going to be advancing sooner rather than later, b/c I'm not having any nausea, issues, etc., and basically just don't want to have the runs. The only thing I'm noticing is that I am full for a LONG TIME after eating, but I guess that's the point, huh? The egg I ate 3 hours ago is still feeling pretty damn big in my stomach right now, but it's going down without issue, so I guess that's a good thing, huh?