Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op

It's hard to believe it's already been a week-it seems time has gone so fast, yet soooooo slow! I've had zero pain or complications other than loose stools (sometimes frequent). I've lost about 10 pounds including the 2 that I gained from fluids in the hospital totaling 17 pounds total including my preop. I had lost 50 pounds on my own prior to seeing my surgeon for the first time. I have told no one that I had the surgery other than my husband and my parents. I did not tell my employer. I took two days vacation (last Thursday and Friday) and then went back to work on Monday. I didn't have much fatigue going back as I was afraid I might. I'm to the point where I can barely choke down another Protein Drink. My surgeon requires 2 Protein supps a day and 2 Meal Replacements a day (like sugar free carnation instant). I have no problem physically getting it down...it just----ugh. When I start to feel a little buyers remorse I look at pureed food recipes and have started making a binder of which ones I am going to try-it helps my mind to remember that this is just a phase and we will keep moving forward.

Also, when feeling a little buyers remorse, I head over to pinterest. I started a "secret" Dream Board so that I can pin things that remind me of why I decided to have this surgery. It has cute outfits that I always wished I could wear (you know-with boots and boot cuffs), pictures of amusement park rides that I can't wait to ride with my kids, pictures of airplanes so I remember that I'll never have to squeeze into another seat or be humiliated asking for an extension, and pictures of musicals and theatre, because my weight has held me back from some of the roles that I really wanted.

So here's to week 2-onward and upward (and thinward?)!!

Katie

I'm glad that your recovery is going so well. I'm amazed that you were able to return to work so soon. I felt like a worn out dishrag for the first couple of weeks. You seem to have a great outlook on the whole thing and I believe that will get you through the tough Patches.< /p>

I love the idea of your secret Pinterest board! Congrats and good luck

I'm impressed you went back to work so fast. I didn't go back until 15 days post-op and it was still a struggle to make it through the day! Sounds like you are keeping up the right attitude. If you can make it through these first few weeks, you shouldn't have any trouble with the months ahead!

Honestly- I didn't have any other option but to go back. My employment has "use it or lose it" vacation by your anniversary date. Unfortunately, mine was the middle of January. Because my insurance denied me the first time, we had to appeal, and couldn't get the ok before my leave ran out, so I was forced to take my leave to just hang out at home. It then starts over for the year and accrues...so by Feb, I had 2.5 days I could use, or take unpaid. So, I took the 2 days and hoped for the best. This is why I didn't tell my employer, because I didn't want to have to wait for Surgeon's ok to go back-which ended up being a good thing, since I couldn't even get my first post-op appt. until Mar 4, so I would have been out almost 3 weeks. Plus, I work for a close knit company-lots of "friends and family", and whether or not HR is confidential or not, I know there are whispers here and whispers there, and it would be out.

My life is also like the "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" where there are people that connect to all circles of my life, which made it so I couldn't tell anyone about the surgery other than my immediately circle of trust ;)!. All in all, not an ideal situation, but we're making it through. I'm just extremely thankful there were no complications to muddy it up.

Edited by Mikadivalia

Continue health.

Congrats Katie, keep up the good work! And I hear you regarding some of the challenges getting shakes down, but you're doing this for all the right reasons.

I like your pinterest inspiration board idea.

I am one week post op today and certainly share your reflections. Glad I am a senior and do not have to worry about work.msickmof these Protein Shakes as well. One day at a time.