Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in Delaware. Im 29. I have Type II Diabetes. I take meformin and Januvia. My BMI is 34. Do I have a chance for a doctor to do the Lap Band for me?

Have you called CHRIAS (Christiana Institute for Advanced Surgery) with Dr. Irgau, Dr. Wynn and Dr. Peters (302) 892-9900? They are great and very helpful. There is also great follow through and support through the PMRI programs at Christiana and St. Francis.

Are you upper or lower DE? Do you have insurance or are you self-pay?

For self-pay through CHRIAS, the band is $6000 for the surgeon and about $15-16,000 for the hospital and unfortunately, as my sister-in-law found out the hospital is not willing to take payments so you would need it all up front. She also spent about $3000 in presurgical testing.

I have insurance and paid (including copays) about $700 total out of pocket.

With a BMI of only 34, I don't know if you'd qualify through the insurance company, but with a comorbidity of Type 2 diabetes, you might.

My suggestion would be to call Dr. Irgau's office and talk to them. They are very helpful and should be able to answer your questions.

There are a few of us from Delaware on here, there is another thread under "locations" or something like that where a few of us have posted.

Good luck!

I live in Lower Delaware. I will have BCBS as of July 1st Comprehensive PPO through the state. I had no idea where to even start. I should call that office first and should I say Im looking to get lab band? :help:

They do take BCBS PPO, that's the type of plan that I have, too. I would give them a call, let them know you'll have BCBS after July 1st and get scheduled for a consultation.

When you have your consult, the doc will discuss the options with you (lap band or gastric bypass) tell you the pros/cons and give you their suggestion for what would be best for you. It's a very informative session and the docs there are great. They have been doing these surgeries for years and years. Dr. Peters just got named Head of Bariatric Surgery at Christiana and he assisted Dr. Irgau on my surgery. The docs always assist each other for every surgery -- you really get double your money's worth, two very experienced doctors working on you together.

Dr. Irgau did me, my mom four years ago, and my Aunt on May 1st. There are a lot of people who come up from downstate and go through this group.

Here is their website....Welcome to CHRIAS - Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery

They are having information seminars on June 6 and June 20 according to the web page, you might want to go to one -- I believe they are free of charge, too.

Feel free to contact me if I can help with any other questions you might have! :o

I'm not sure if you are in Northern or Southern Delaware but if you are mid-state or south, you should consider Dr. Michael Sofronski. He runs the Delmarva Bariatric Center which has offices in Rehoboth, DE and Salisbury, MD. He is absolutely fantastic and has a wonderful after-surgery program with workout centers and personal trainers to help you meet your goals. My BMI was similar to yours and I was able to qualify for insurance coverage as long as I could document 6 months of unsuccessful weight loss with conservative programs (Weight Watchers, Adkins etc.)

Good luck. Let me know if you need more info and I'd be happy to provide it.

Also banded by Iragau (both me and my wife) in '04.

Nice people at the facility - I'm a little P.O.'d right now as they dropped United Health care as 'in network' and I REFUSE to pay $125.00 for a visit to hear that "I'm doing ok, still need to get more exercise, but keep up tyhe good work" LMAO

Otherwise the staff is GREAT!