Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you determine your "goal weight"?

How did you all determine your goal weight? My surgeon never told me a specific number so I looked at the BMI chart to see what the range for healthy is and made that my goal. I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 195 and my goal (according to said BMI chart) is 165. I've been at my current weight since the middle of November so I'm wondering if this is it for me? Has anyone else hit a never-ending plateau and decided this must be it?

I'm a 5'10 female and my goal weight is 170. The Dr. didn't set that goal, I did after he asked at which weight was I most happy & healthy and that number popped up in my head. It is also at the high end of a normal bmi for me. Edited to add: I'm 28 pounds from my goal and am losing pretty slowly, but I'm determined to stick with my original goal.

Edited by ProjectMe

My doctor told me between 160-175 for a healthy BMI but if I want to go lower (which I do) he said to do it with exercise and not diet a lone because I will look sick. Hope that makes sense

My nutritionist asked me a BUNCH of questions like what was the most I weighed as an adult, what was my lowest weight as an adult, how much weight had I lost on my own with diet and exercise, etc. She then set my goal weight at 165. I personally hope to get to 155, which is the upper end of the healthy BMI range for my height.

I am also 5'10" and just had 4-month appt. this week. My surgeon said he sees no reason I can't get to 160 based on being 187 now. He said a lot of it has to do with where you start and I was 34 BMI on day of surgery after pre-op diet. He said most patients can't get in normal BMI range. Personally, I would be happy with 170, but will try for 160.

I decided that my goal was one pound into the "Normal BMI" range. My surgeon agreed that would be a healthy weight, so that's exactly where I am now. But I'm working to lose 4-5 more pounds so I can have a little wiggle room as I transition to maintenance. Don't want to go back over that line every time I try something new!

@@Rogofulm ... you've really done great.

Just sayin'.

Thanks very much! Believe it or not, it's been fun!

I am 5'10 also. My NUT set my goal weight at 170. I set it at 175 but will not be upset about 170. Right now, I just need the scale to move.

Right now, I just need the scale to move.

I hear you! It's frustrating to be doing everything "right" and not see the scale moving.

My surgeon didn't set a real goal for me. They wanted me to do that. They said they'd be happy when I was in the 220's and I was like, "Are you FREAKING kidding me!" I was sure they'd set some unrealistic goal that matches all those growth charts that made me feel HUGE all my life....even when I was 145-150 pounds! Now it's more about how I feel and what I'm comfortable with as a lifestyle. I had a follow-up with my surgery/clinic just this week and she asked if I still had the same goal weight. It occurred to me that I really don't have a goal weight, I just want to be comfortable, healthy, and happy. I'd like to go down one more size in clothing, because I'm really enjoying shopping again! ;) Whatever weight I am when that happens, that's my goal.

I set my goal at 140, based on the BMI charts. That would put me at a normal BMI, something I have never achieved in my adult life. My surgeon said he would be happy to see me at 160. But at 10 months out, I pretty much eat what I want in the amounts that I can tolerate, and I am still losing a few pounds a month. I weighed in this morning at 152. So I don't know if the 140 goal will happen, but even if I don't lose any more, I know this is something I can maintain, and I look and feel great, so what more can I ask for?

Thanks for all the responses!...I guess I should have added to my original post that my 1 year surgery date is March 14th and I've lost a total of 85 pounds...so I'm a "slow loser"...I'm going to keep plugging away at it...30 pounds doesn't seem that far to go seeing how far I've come, but like some of you've said the scale just isn't moving like it used to.

I set several goals. Then when I reached that decided if I wanted to go on. I am 5'9 my first goal was 170' then it went to 160 now it is 149 and I currently weigh 150.4. So I am 1.4 pounds to my ULTIMATE goal. I found it easier and more rewarding to set several smaller goals and re evaluate at each goal. My frame will never hold anything lower than 149.

post-221807-14243923302741_thumb.jpg

My dr. Set my goal weight at 115-120. I'm only 5 ft though. Growing up all of high school I was 98 lbs but looking at those pictures I look unhealthy.