Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive realized a few things after surgery

So ive realized that im stubborn and should follow directions. I had my sleeve completed on February 5th and im currently 13 days post op which caused me to THINK I could handle soft foods before my designated time. BIG MISTAKE. I should have taken it slower. I became a bit sick because I rushed the process. I guess what im trying to say is dont rush onto the next step because you test certain foods and feel ok. It will eventually catch up to you and cause more harm then good. Im now following the doctors instructions to a T. I dont want to stretch the sleeve or cause any leaks. Its difficult but I have to remind myself its temporary and necessary in order to heal properly and set myself up for long term success.

Bravo...there will be plenty of time for you to fight with your system. Use the honeymoon period to the best. If you control this part then it will be easier to control the other more difficult times.... It is all about learning how to put food in its proper place. And not let it rule our lives anymore.

It will be a life long struggle but you know if you control this you will be able to control that....:)

Excellent reminder!

Bravo...there will be plenty of time for you to fight with your system. Use the honeymoon period to the best. If you control this part then it will be easier to control the other more difficult times.... It is all about learning how to put food in its proper place. And not let it rule our lives anymore.

It will be a life long struggle but you know if you control this you will be able to control that.... :)

Excellent reminder!

RJ is a very smart lady! I couldn't have said it better myself :D

I did a decent job of convincing myself that I was risking serious injury or complication if I pushed myself too far too fast. That enabled me to stick to my nutritionist's plan as though my life depended on it, because I'd convinced myself it did! I'm in a similar situation now with the whole "protein first" concept. I've got myself thoroughly convinced that if I don't get my Protein in, there will be dire consequences. Seems to be working so far!

I was JUST thinking about this. I'm getting ready to go out and get supplies because I don't have many days off between now and my surgery. And I was thinking..."well should I get ricotta and re-fried Beans?"

And I vetoed that idea. I can get that stuff AFTER my weeks of clear Protein, full Protein. And if all else fails i can send hubby out to get it if I'm not feeling better.

I know myself. I know that I'm often adventurous and risky. I don't wanna give myself annnnyyyy reason to stray from doctors orders because I'll bet I'll say, "I'm great!" And "what's a teensy taste of refried Beans gonna do?"

Nope. Not this time brain!!

I did a decent job of convincing myself that I was risking serious injury or complication if I pushed myself too far too fast. That enabled me to stick to my nutritionist's plan as though my life depended on it, because I'd convinced myself it did! I'm in a similar situation now with the whole "Protein first" concept. I've got myself thoroughly convinced that if I don't get my Protein in, there will be dire consequences. Seems to be working so far!

I have done the exact same thing and so far, so good. I do have to say, though, @@bfloguy82 that I am really sick of Protein shakes and have been tempted. Thanks for the warning!

it really is a good idea to follow your docs orders. I was so worried about being in pain or getting sick I followed his orders completely!!

Even after my second check up and he wanted me to stay on two shakes a day and one Protein filled meal I did. I have to admit I did leave the office a little upset thinking I could do one shake and two meals but after taking a deep breath I knew he was right and that is what I continued to do. I really think doing the two shakes a day and one meal (with no snacking) really helped me continue to lose and not have any stalls. (knock on wood!!)

I had decided that I was going to use this tool I was given for all it was worth during these months where the weight comes off faster. I am 4 months out now and just logged in another 1.5lb loss. I was looking thru the my journal and I have not had any gains since my surgery. I have had periods where I would go 3-5 days with no loss then drop 1-2lbs and I am good with that. I do weigh everyday still (that is what my surgeon asked me to do in the very beginning so I have just kept it up and the journal is great to look back on)

I now do Snacks, and eat a little bit more on my gym days, and I have a bite of this or that here and there. But I am still logging, tracking and measuring my food. I figure if it is working for me and I am happy and don't feel deprived or that I am missing out on anything I am doing ok!! :D

Good luck with your continued journey!!!

Its a relationship between body and mind. My body knows the limits my mind however needs to catch up. We decided to complete surgery because we had an unhealthy relationship with food. Its so hard to retrain yourself to work with your body and not push it too far

Its a relationship between body and mind. My body knows the limits my mind however needs to catch up. We decided to complete surgery because we had an unhealthy relationship with food. Its so hard to retrain yourself to work with your body and not push it too far

Actually it is a relationship between heart , mind and soul. It is the only addiction that we still have to partake in because we have to eat. It is the worst one of all. and it will be with us for the rest of our lives. We will struggle to control ourselves to eat better. Think better about ourselves and realize the real person we are inside.

But to do this we have to be up for the fight. Because it is just that..a fight. To learn how to retrain our mind to see food as nutrition and not a comfort for things going bad or good as a celebration or to shut ourselves off. Each time you have the power over food is a win! A war is raging and we are fighting it.

You and I are fighting it. We are winning because we are learning every day what our triggers are and how to stay away from them. You will succeed. There is no failing here.

You got this.....It is a Rocky moment and you have the gloves on! Learning and going forward....That is all we can do.....:)